Request for consultation
Provide a practical guide packed with the latest coverage of technologies to prepare students for success in today’s networked, hyper-connected digital-age workplace. The authoritative market leader trusted by traditional and online business communication instructors like you, BUSINESS COMMUNICATION: PROCESS AND PRODUCT, 9E offers breakthrough digital resources including "how-to" videos demonstrating expert writing techniques, expanded MindTap® activities to engage students such as video activities in the YouSeeU app which allow for oral communication skills-based practice, scenario-based writing assessments within Write Experience app and updated Aplia resources with auto-graded grammar review and homework checking. Most importantly, the hallmark features that made this book the market leader -- abundant model documents, the 3-x-3 writing process, valuable assignments with solutions, and an efficient 16-chapter format -- enhance learning and comprehension. Exceptional instructor resources, including course outlines, lecture notes, grading rubrics, and enhanced PowerPoint® lecture slides, help ensure a comprehensive and effective course.
- ENHANCED RESOURCES FURTHER STRENGTHEN THE MINDTAP® PERSONALIZED, FULLY ONLINE DIGITAL LEARNING PLATFORM. This multimedia learning experience guides students through readings, multimedia, and chapter-specific activities that increase learner engagement and improve learning assessments. New clickable activities enable students to engage interactively with graphically illustrated chapter concepts.
- EXTENSIVE COLLECTION OF "HOW-TO" VIDEOS ASSISTS YOU IN TEACHING COMMUNICATION CONCEPTS. These engaging videos range from presenting expert writing techniques and formatting documents to covering all of the message genres, such as bad-news, claim, adjustment, persuasive, and sales messages. Written and illustrated by the book’s authors, these exclusive videos are especially helpful to distance learners who do not have the benefit of in-class lectures.
- FRESH ACTIVITIES ARE NEW AND UPDATED TO KEEP LEARNING ACTIVE AND ENGAGING. Unlike other texts that offer primarily discussion questions, this edition provides countless practical activities that enable students to apply and reinforce their learning. All of the Writing Improvement Exercises in this edition are new and between 60 and 100 percent of the end-of-chapter activities are new to this edition.
- UPDATED ASSIGNMENTS REINFORCE KEY CHAPTER CONCEPTS. Chapter assignments, powered by Aplia within MindTap, ensure students understand key chapter concepts while providing multiple opportunities to work through questions and providing meaningful, written feedback. These assignments support learning by increasing student effort and engagement without requiring more work from you, the instructor.
- NEW GRAMMAR AND MECHANICS ACTIVITIES REINFORCE PRACTICE WITH VALUABLE FEEDBACK. This online, interactive tool in MindTap ensures students review key fundamental grammar and mechanics skills. Feedback provides direction on how well students are performing in specific areas so they can hone in and practice where they need it most.
- EMPHASIS ON DIGITAL REVOLUTION PREPARES STUDENTS TO WORK WITH TODAY’S AND TOMORROW’S TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENTS. This edition emphasizes digital messages within its model documents, activities, and channels to reflect the current digital revolution.
- DOCUMENTS FOR ANALYSIS IN MANY CHAPTERS REQUIRE HANDS-ON REVISIONS. This kind of editing experience is especially effective for students who have little business experience and cannot provide a context for more challenging assignments. Students learn by revising. This approach enables you to explain message faults as well as model solutions.
- STRENGTHENED SOCIAL MEDIA COVERAGE PREPARES STUDENTS TO UTILIZE THIS POWERFUL TOOL MOST EFFECTIVELY. Because of the pervasive influence of social media, this edition provides many chapter illustrations and examples that reflect social media and digital applications to connect traditional writing techniques with today’s digital environment.
- COVERAGE HIGHLIGHTS BEST PRACTICES IN COMMUNICATION AND BUSINESS TODAY. Numerous figures and model documents illustrate the professional uses of the latest digital media at work, including the use of Twitter, instant messages, podcasts, blogs, and wikis. This coverage enables students to understand the differences between professional and social applications. Ample coverage of best practices helps students negotiate the hazards and potential minefields of digital media in the workplace.
- SELF-CONTAINED REPORT ASSIGNMENTS REQUIRE NO ADDITIONAL RESEARCH. Designed specifically to support instructors who teach research and report-writing skills with limited course time, this edition provides new and updated report projects that require no additional research. These projects enable your students to analyze the information provided, organize it into proper report format, draw conclusions, and make recommendations. You can choose partial solutions for your students, including conclusions and recommendations.
- RELEVANT END-OF-CHAPTER ASSIGNMENTS EMPHASIZE THE PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS OF SKILLS THAT STUDENTS ARE LEARNING. Most of the chapter assignments are new or updated so that your students have fresh opportunities to apply the skills taught in the chapter.
- MODEL DOCUMENTS PROVIDE HELPFUL CALLOUTS THAT DETAIL SKILLS AND STRATEGIES. Accurately written and formatted model documents with explanatory callouts enable your students to see, understand and apply strategies highlighted in the text.
- TIME-SAVING FEATURES HELP NEW AS WELL AS VETERAN INSTRUCTORS CREATE ENGAGING, EFFECTIVE COURSES WITH MINIMAL EFFORT. To reduce the burden of organizing and administering a complex course, authors Guffey and Loewy provide course outlines, lecture notes, sample syllabus, extensive test banks, chapter review quizzes, grading rubrics, quality solutions written by the authors, exceptional PowerPoint® lecture slides, and numerous auto-graded digital resources that enrich student learning without exhausting you, the instructor.
- KEY FEATURES MAKE IT EASY TO TEACH AND EASY FOR STUDENTS TO LEARN. Updates throughout the book recognize the pervasive influence of social media and changing communication technologies.
- WORKABLE ASSIGNMENTS REQUIRE STUDENT ENGAGEMENT. Unlike other textbooks that offer primarily discussion questions, this book provides numerous structured activities that guide students in developing workplace skills. End-of-chapter activities offer practical, realistic opportunities to practice the workplace skills taught in the chapter. Most assignments have a model in the chapter to guide students in applying their skills.
1. Business Communication in the Digital Age.
2. Professionalism: Team, Meeting, Listening, Nonverbal, and Etiquette Skills.
3. Intercultural Communication.
UNIT II: THE WRITING PROCESS.
4. Planning Business Messages.
5. Organizing and Writing Business Messages.
6. Revising Business Messages.
UNIT III: WORKPLACE COMMUNICATION.
7. Electronic Messages and Digital Media.
8. Positive Messages.
9. Negative Messages.
10. Persuasive and Sales Messages.
UNIT IV: Reports, Proposals, and Presentations.
11. Reporting in the Digital Age Workplace.
12. Informal Business Reports.
13. Proposals, Business Plans, and Formal Business Reports.
14. Business Presentations.
UNIT V: EMPLOYMENT COMMUNICATION.
15. The Job Search, Résumés, and Cover Letters in the Digital Age.
16. Interviewing and Following Up.
Appendix A: Document Format Guide.
Appendix B: Citation Format Guide.
Appendix C: Correction Symbols and Proofreading Marks.
Appendix D: Grammar and Mechanics Guide.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Companion Website
The Guffey Companion Website gives you, the instructor, one convenient place to find invaluable teaching and learning resources. You find downloadable supplements and solutions, bonus teaching modules, teaching resources, exercises, and handouts to enrich the classroom experience at www.meguffey.com.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.