Request for consultation
Students will master data analysis, modeling, and spreadsheet use with BUSINESS ANALYTICS: DATA ANALYSIS AND DECISION MAKING, 6E! Popular with students, instructors, and practitioners, this quantitative methods text delivers the tools to succeed with its proven teach-by-example approach, student-friendly writing style, and complete Excel 2016 integration. It is also compatible with Excel 2013, 2010, and 2007. Completely rewritten, Chapter 17, Data Mining, and Chapter 18, Importing Data into Excel, offer increased emphasis on tools commonly included under the Business Analytics umbrella -- such as Microsoft Excel’s “Power BI” suite. Up-to-date problem sets and cases provide realistic examples to show the relevance of the material. In addition, the Companion Website includes data and solutions files, PowerPoint slides, SolverTable, and the Palisade DecisionTools Suite (@RISK, BigPicture, StatTools, PrecisionTree, TopRank, RISKOptimizer, NeuralTools, and Evolver).
- Unparalleled Business Analytics Focus: Revised and up to date with the latest developments from real-world practice, BUSINESS ANALYTICS: DATA ANALYSIS & DECISION MAKING, 6E continues with the highly regarded methods that have made this market leader so popular with professors, businesspeople, and students. Chapter 17, Data Mining, and Chapter 18, Importing Data into Excel, have been rewritten to include an increased focus on the tools commonly included under the Business Analytics umbrella.
- Updated to Office 2016: Extremely flexible, the Sixth Edition is completely compatible with Microsoft Office 2016 as well as prior versions. All of the screenshots in the book are from the newest version. However, because the changes from previous versions are not that extensive for Business Analytics purposes, the Sixth Edition also works well even if you are still using Microsoft Office 2013, 2010, or 2007.
- New Coverage of Excel’s “Power BI” Tools: Rewritten and revamped, Chapter 17, Data Mining, and Chapter 18, Importing Data into Excel, now include a significant focus on Excel’s recent Power Business Intelligence suite: Data Model, Power Pivot, Power View, Power Map, and Power Query. Mirroring the direction Microsoft and the marketplace are moving in terms of data analysis and “self-service” BI, the Sixth Edition gets you up to speed on this exciting set of tools.
- Tutorial Videos: Helping students maximize their course success, the authors re-recorded more than 50 videos for Excel 2016 to explain concepts and work through examples. The videos range from five to ten minutes. Students can access the videos via MindTap®.
- How-to Videos with StatTools and JMP: In addition to the “full” tutorial videos, numerous brief “how-to” videos demonstrate how examples in the book can be worked with Palisade’s StatTools (and NeuralTools) add-ins. The academic version of the JMP statistical software package from SAS is also available for free to instructors and students, short videos illustrating how examples in the book can be worked with JMP are also available. All videos are found within MindTap® only.
- Updated Problems: Numerous problems have been modified to include the most updated data available. In addition, the new DADM 6e Problem Database.xlsx equips instructors with an entire database of problems. This file indicates the context of each of the problems and shows the correspondence between problems in this edition and problems in the previous edition.
- Highlighting Key Concepts: Critical concepts and equations are set off in boxes to make future reference easier, while margin notes and “Fundamental Insight” features emphasize the most relevant, practical information from each chapter.
- Easy-to-Follow Step-by-Step Examples: Extremely user friendly, the text includes over 130 interesting examples that draw from real business situations or events. The solution to each example is worked out in a clear, step-by-step method that uses screenshots to make it easy for students to understand and replicate.
- Advanced Statistical Emphasis: Providing the most comprehensive coverage available, BUSINESS ANALYTICS devotes three entire online chapters to advanced statistical analysis: Chapter 18, Importing Data into Excel, Chapter 19, Analysis of Variance and Experimental Design, and Chapter 20, Statistical Process Control.
- Practical Technical Tips: Integrated throughout the chapters, insightful tips help students apply chapter concepts to real-world practice. These guidelines range from general technical information to application-specific tips regarding Excel®, pivot tables, StatTools, Solver, and @RISK.
- Plenty of Conceptual Questions, Problems and Cases: BUSINESS ANALYTICS: DATA ANALYSIS & DECISION MAKING, 6E includes approximately 200 conceptual questions, 1,000 problems, and 40 cases for testing students’ mastery of the material as they progress through the course. Complete Excel®-based solutions are available for all of these conceptual questions, problems, and cases.
- Engaging Opening Vignettes: Each chapter opens with a vignette that sets the stage for learning by illustrating why the chapter’s concepts are important in a business context.
Part 1: EXPLORING DATA.
2. Describing the Distribution of a Single Variable.
3. Finding Relationships among Variables.
Part 2: PROBABILITY AND DECISION MAKING UNDER UNCERTAINTY.
4. Probability and Probability Distributions.
5. Normal, Binomial, Poisson, and Exponential Distributions.
6. Decision Making under Uncertainty.
Part 3: STATISTICAL INFERENCE.
7. Sampling and Sampling Distributions.
8. Confidence Interval Estimation.
9. Hypothesis Testing.
Part 4: REGRESSION ANALYSIS AND TIME SERIES FORECASTING.
10. Regression Analysis: Estimating Relationships.
11. Regression Analysis: Statistical Inference.
12. Time Series Analysis and Forecasting.
Part 5: OPTIMIZATION AND SIMULATION MODELING.
13. Introduction to Optimization Modeling.
14. Optimization Models.
15. Introduction to Simulation Modeling.
16. Simulation Models.
Part 6: ADVANCED DATA ANALYSIS.
17. Data Mining.
Part 7: BONUS ONLINE MATERIAL.
18. Importing Data into Excel.
19. Analysis of Variance and Experimental Design.
20. Statistical Process Control.
Appendix A: Statistical Reporting.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.