Request for consultation
Emphasizing an action-oriented approach, this text concentrates on the practical aspects of school counseling by focusing on the roles of the counselor. Each chapter includes an excerpt from the author or a contributor that relates a personal experience in a school setting. These first- and second-hand accounts throughout the text support the theory, practice, and skills for school counseling and illustrate the many roles and responsibilities counselors assume in schools. EXPLORING SCHOOL COUNSELING, 2nd Edition features a greater emphasis on CACREP standards as well as the ASCA National Model and School Counselor Competencies.
- This edition features greater integration of the ASCA National Model and School Counselor Competencies, highlighting important standards and competencies needed by school counselors. A new Chapter 4, “The ASCA National Model: Foundation and Framework for a Comprehensive School Counseling Program,” further emphasizes the standards and competencies.
- CACREP standards have been integrated throughout the text to assure compliance for CACREP-accredited programs.
- An increased number of school counselors “tell their story,” helping readers to see school counseling in action.
- Critical thinking and student self-reflection prompts throughout the text encourage readers to apply and evaluate what they have read.
- The important role of ethical practice has been expanded and is now covered in two chapters: Chapter 2, “The School Counselor as Ethical Practitioner: Responsibilities to Students,” and Chapter 3, “The School Counselor as Ethical Practitioner: Responsibilities to Others, Self, and the Profession.”
- The Second Edition features eight counselors who offer their perspectives throughout the text in Personal Reflections, Professional Perspective, and Professional Practice boxes. My Story boxes illuminate the author's experiences.
- A new section on cyberbullying reflects counselor responsibilities in prevention and intervention activities.
- An updated chapter on accountability presents the process of collecting, analyzing, and reporting outcomes of school counseling practices and programs.
- An updated chapter on the school counselor's leadership role includes relevant research and ideas for being a leader for systemic change.
- Each chapter includes excerpts from the author or a contributor that relate a personal experience in a school setting.
- First- and second-hand accounts throughout the text support the research and technical aspects of school counseling.
- Critical thinking questions and student self-reflection prompts throughout the text help readers apply and evaluate what they have read.
2. The School Counselor as Ethical Practitioner: Responsibilities to Students.
3. The School Counselor as Ethical Practitioner: Responsibilities to Others, Self, and the Profession.
4. The ASCA National Model: Foundation and Framework for a Comprehensive School Counseling Program.
5. Direct Student Services: Providing the School Counseling Core Curriculum and Counseling.
6. Indirect Student Services: Consultation, Coordination, and Noncounseling Roles.
7. The Culturally Competent School Counselor: Working with Diversity and Special Needs.
8. School Counselor Collaboration with School Personnel.
9. School Counselor Collaboration with Parents/Guardians and the Community.
10. The Effective School Counselor: Accountability in Action.
11. The School Counselor as Advocate: Taking A Stand.
12. The School Counselor as Leader: Promoting Systemic Change.
13. The School Counselor as Responsive Leader: School Violence Prevention and Crisis Intervention.
14. Becoming a School Counselor: Your Personal and Professional Journey.
"This text is truly refreshing and does what it promises-information and practice are integrated. The text is current and addresses contemporary school counselor issues."
"I would describe this textbook as an excellent balance between contemporary School Counseling information and personal stories of life as a school counselor. "
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
An online Instructor's Manual accompanies this book. It contains information to assist the instructor in designing the course, including discussion questions, teaching and learning activities, learning objectives, and additional online resources.