Request for consultation
The most widely-used book in the field, PRINCIPLES OF PUBLIC HEALTH PRACTICE, Fourth Edition, is an essential tool for all those in public health practice, now and in the future. Written by nationally recognized experts and edited by seasoned professionals in academia and public health practice, this book provides a critical foundation in public health operations and systems. Chapters cover the full breadth of public health topics, beginning with definitions and the history of the discipline, and then progressing through service provisioning and laws. Emphasizing evidence-based practice and the science of effective public health practice, the fourth edition also adds several new chapters on emerging topics, such as tribal public health and global health. Learning features include review questions and appendices that make PRINCIPLES OF PUBLIC HEALTH PRACTICE an indispensable, long-term reference for students and professionals alike.
- Tribal Coverage: Two new chapters hone in on the latest developments in the specialized areas of tribal and territorial public health practice.
- New Chapters: Added chapters cover important current topics in public health, such as evidence-based public health, evaluation, public health services and systems research, community development, and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- Content Updates: Revitalized content throughout the text includes discussions on public health law, federal and state public health departments, the quantitative sciences (e.g., epidemiology, biostatistics), community health planning, performance management, workforce, leadership, infectious and communicable diseases, environmental health, primary care, oral health, public health laboratories, and global health.
- Updated References: Now even more focused and current, the fourth edition includes critical updates to chapter references, delivering the most timely, accurate information in public health operations available.
- Unmatched Expertise. Long recognized for depth of coverage and expertise, Scutchfield and Keck's Principles of Public Health Practice, 4th Edition addresses the essentials in Public Health operations, including infectious disease control, environmental health, prevention effectiveness, global health, and much more.
- Essential Topics: Discussions center on the key services in public health to illustrate the skills, knowledge, and attitudes necessary for a broad practice of the discipline.
- Study Help: A variety of end-of-chapter review questions test student knowledge and offer added practice with chapter material.
- Helpful Appendices: A handy list of public health professional associations and an updated overview of public health practice competencies provide students a handy reference for use in their studies and beyond.
1. Concepts, Definitions, and Book Overview.
2. The History and Emergence of a New Public Health.
3. Social Determinants of Health: Their Influence on Personal Choice, Environmental Exposures, and Health Care.
4. Legal Basis of Public Health.
5. Public Health Ethics.
6. The Policy Basis of Public Health.
Part II: THE SETTINGS OF PUBLIC HEALTH PRACTICE.
7. The Federal Contribution to Public Health.
8. The State Public Health Agencies.
9. The Local Health Department.
10. Public Health in US-Affiliated Tribes, Territories, and Freely Associated States.
Part III: THE TOOLS OF PUBLIC HEALTH PRACTICE.
11. Evidence-Based Public Health.
12. Quantitative Sciences: Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and the use of Public Health data.
13. Community Health Assessments, Planning, and Implementation.
14. Behavior Change Theories and Practices.
16. Performance Management and Quality Improvement.
17. Public Health Systems and Services Research.
Part IV: PROVISION OF PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICES.
18. The Public Health Workforce.
19. Maternal and Child Health.
20. Communicable and Infectious Diseases.
21. Environmental Public Health.
22. Chronic Disease Prevention and Control.
23. Oral Health in Public Health Practice.
24. Primary Care and Public Health.
25. Community Development for Population Health and Health Equity.
26. Public Health Preparedness.
27. Injury Prevention and Control.
28. Behavioral Health and Substance Abuse.
29. The Public Health Laboratory.
Part V: PUBLIC HEALTH PRACTICE IN A NEW ERA.
30. The Affordable Care Act and Public Health.
31. Public Health Practice in the Global Context.
32. The Future of Public Health Practice.
Appendix A: Public Health Associations.
Appendix B: Core Competencies for Public Health Practices.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Companion Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. Access and download book-coordinating materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, an instructor’s manual, answers to chapter questions, and test banks with multiple formats to streamline course preparation.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.