Request for consultation
This book is designed to assist pre-service and in-service classroom teachers in weaving music, visual arts, drama, and movement into the elementary school curriculum--thereby stimulating the learning process, enriching other subject areas, and providing opportunities for creative expression and self-fulfillment. Featuring content informed by the National Standards for the Arts, the book provides the basic tools and activities that teachers need to gain confidence in using the arts in their elementary classrooms.
- New! The new edition presents expanded coverage of standards and assessment and their role in arts education.
- New! A new discussion on improving multicultural understanding through the arts includes suggestions for activities and a sample set of connecting activities focused on Japan.
- New! A new section offers guidance on how to implement an arts program.
- New! The Second Edition includes expanded coverage of drama.
- New! New activities and music selections are added throughout.
- New! A new four-color insert includes photos of children’s work and children performing.
- A wide range of original activities is useful to students in a college setting and suitable for future classroom use with children.
- Part I, “The Power of the Arts,” discusses the value of the arts in education and the nature of creativity and its relationship to the arts. This section also reassures teachers that they can learn to conduct successful arts experiences in the classroom.
- Part II, “The Art Forms,” addresses each art form individually, including background information on its elements and processes, as well as instructions for classroom implementation using activities designed to increase students’ involvement and facilitate their grasp of concepts.
- Part III, “Integrating the Arts,” focuses on integrating the arts into other disciplines, such as science, math, social studies, and language arts. This section also focuses on suggestions for interrelating various art forms and on theme topics.
1. Arts in Education.
2. Exploring Creativity.
Part II: THE ART FORMS.
Part III: INTEGRATING THE ARTS.
7. Making Connections.
Appendix A: Multiple Intelligences Survey.
Appendix B: Summary of Musical Symbols.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Education Media Library, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access