Request for consultation
Give your students the professional communication skills needed for success throughout their education and careers with ILLUSTRATED COURSE GUIDES: VERBAL COMMUNICATION - SOFT SKILLS FOR A DIGITAL WORKPLACE, 3E. Part of the acclaimed ILLUSTRATED SOFT SKILLS SERIES, this book, like all others in the series, makes it easy to teach students the essential soft skills necessary to succeed in today’s competitive workplace. Timeless information highlights marketable verbal skills that students need for success in today’s technological business world. This text delves into the importance of effective, professional, and polite verbal communication -- from speaking with clients to everyday dialogue with colleagues.
- UPDATES ADDRESS TODAY’S MOST RELEVANT AND VALUABLE SOFT SKILLS WITH AN EMPHASIS ON VERBAL COMMUNICATION. All content prepares students for success in today’s workplace.
- EMPLOYS THE ILLUSTRATED SERIES’ POPULAR, READER-FRIENDLY PRESENTATION. Short, focused text emphasizes the key soft skills your students need to succeed in today’s technological workplace.
- PROVIDES TIMELESS INSIGHTS INTO CRITICAL VERBAL COMMUNICATION SKILLS. This book highlights communication skills that make students more marketable to companies and that are necessary for success in today’s professional world.
- COMPLEMENTS ANY COURSE. You can seamlessly integrate this book’s modular content into virtually any existing courses or use this book as a primary text for short courses or workshops.
- YOU TRY IT EXERCISES ALLOW STUDENTS TO DEMONSTRATE THEIR UNDERSTANDING. These hands-on applications after each lesson increase long-term retention as students apply the skills they’ve learned.
- YELLOW SHADED BOXES EMPHASIZE REAL STORIES FROM TODAY’S WORKPLACE. Students see the relevance and practical application of verbal communication skills as intriguing examples from the business world capture their attention.
- TECHNOLOGY@WORK LESSONS ADDRESS WEB 2.0 TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGIES. This emphasis on technology and internet tools related to each unit ensures students have the latest knowledge of the most current technology skills and trends.
- END-OF-UNIT CRITICAL THINKING QUESTIONS AND BE THE CRITIC EXERCISES ENCOURAGE A DEEPER LEVEL OF THINKING AND EXPLORATION. These questions and exercises require students to analyze and evaluate important topics from each unit as they promote independent problem solving.
1. Organizing Your Messages.
2. Using Vocal Elements Effectively.
3. Understanding Nonverbal Languages.
4. Developing Credibility.
5. Giving and Receiving Feedback.
6. Overcoming Barriers to Communication.
7. Communicating Ethically.
8. Understanding Cross-Cultural Issues.
Part II: WORKING WITH CUSTOMERS.
9. Understanding Customer Service Basics.
10. Communicating Empathetically.
11. Adding Questions to Understand Problems.
12. Denying Requests.
13. Coping with Angry Customers.
14. Dealing with the Unexpected.
15. Working with Customers with Disabilities.
Part III: DEVELOPING PROFESSIONAL TELEPHONE SKILLS.
16. Exploring Professional Telephone Communication.
17. Placing Telephone Calls.
18. Receiving Telephone Calls.
19. Using Voice Mail.
20. Leaving Professional Messages.
21. Taking Calls for Other People.
22. Screening, Holding, and Transferring Calls.
23. Developing Cell Phone Etiquette.
Part IV: IMPROVING INFORMAL COMMUNICATION.
24. Communicating Informally.
25. Listening Actively.
26. Speaking Persuasively.
27. Negotiating Effectively.
28. Managing Conflict.
29. Participating in Meetings.
30. Dealing with Office Politics.
31. Making Proper Introductions.
Part V: MAKING FORMAL PRESENTATIONS.
32. Planning Effective Presentations.
33. Developing Presentation Content.
34. Rehearsing a Presentation.
35. Delivering a Presentation.
36. Building Rapport.
37. Managing Anxiety.
38. Using Appropriate Visuals.
39. Managing Questions and Answers.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access