Request for consultation
Provide your students with the strong theoretical and functional framework needed for success in management today with this brief option that gives you the flexibility to integrate your own cases, exercises and projects throughout your course. FUNDAMENTALS OF MANAGEMENT, 8E from respected management author Ricky Griffin invites students into the study of management with a dynamic approach efficiently organized around the functions of management. Students strengthen their management skills with a proven balance of theory and practice as well as numerous, engaging learning features. New and revised "First Things First" opening vignettes draw students into each chapter, while clear learning objectives and chapter outlines, summaries of key points and key terms, and numerous student-oriented skill applications and new cases keep students focused and actively learning. "You Make the Call" end-of-chapter features bring the students back to the opening case with the newfound knowledge they have gained after reading the chapter. New "Building Skills" exercises and "Skills Self-Assessment Instruments" equip future managers to handle some of today's most critical business situations. Following our state of the art, Engage, Connect, Perform, and Lead model, students truly learn to think and act like managers.
- MindTap will help you elevate student thinking by enabling students to demonstrate that they can both think and act like managers through a progression of content, including experiential exercises. MindTap is a personalized, fully online digital learning platform which contains measurable learning objectives for each chapter, making it well beyond an eBook, a homework solution, a resource center website, a course delivery platform, or a Learning Management System. It is the first in a new category: the Personal Learning Experience.
- A truly unique breakthrough is the inclusion of online role-play exercises and group activities. These experiential exercises help students to "think and act like managers" by giving them opportunities to collaborate online, apply course concepts, and create solutions to realistic management problems. These assignments enable students to practice the kind of technical, human, and conceptual skills that today's companies say they want in the managers they hire. Accessible to students and teachers only within MindTap, this turnkey homework solution works for both online and on-ground students. No other educational product offers this unique combination of value-adding, skill-building content and collaborative work tools.
- New Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content; create multiple test versions in an instant; deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want! Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero works on any operating system or browser. No special installs or downloads needed. Create tests from school, home, the coffee shop -- anywhere with Internet access. Simplicity at every step. A desktop-inspired interface features drop-down menus and familiar, intuitive tools that take you through content creation and management with ease. Full-featured test generator. Create ideal assessments with your choice of question types. Searchable metadata helps ensure your tests are complete and compliant. Cross-compatible capability. Import and export content into other systems.
- This concise text combines streamlined discussion with engaging pedagogical tools and student-focused, skill-development applications. Lively, current content and a variety of materials answer the need for a more flexible approach to management education.
- This edition replaces traditional paragraph-form summaries with bulleted lists that make it easier for students to quickly scan key concepts and study in a time-effective manner.
- Each chapter concludes with a Skills Self-Assessment Instrument and Experiential Exercise. These valuable tools help students apply what they've learned in the chapter. "Building Skills" Exercises give students valuable advice on how to approach various management situations most effectively. The exercises build upon the overall managerial skills framework from the book's first chapter and give students hands-on opportunities to improve personal management skills.
1. Understanding the Manager's Job.
2. The Environment of Organizations and Managers.
Part II: PLANNING.
3. Planning and Strategic Management.
4. Managing Decision Making.
5. Entrepreneurship and New Venture Management.
Part III: ORGANIZING.
6. Organization Structure and Design.
7. Organization Change and Innovation.
8. Managing Human Resources in Organizations.
Part IV: LEADING.
9. Basic Elements of Individual Behavior in Organizations.
10. Managing Employee Motivation and Performance.
11. Leadership and Influence Processes.
12. Communication in Organizations.
13. Managing Work Groups and Teams.
Part V: CONTROLLING.
14. Basic Elements of Control.
15. Managing Operations, Quality, and Productivity.
"I like all [of the end-of-chapter features], and I especially like the experiential exercises at the end of each chapter."
"I really like the self-assessment exercises at the end of each chapter. Students are required to do them each week to earn bonus points. It really helps them see how their personality and perceptions fit in the world of management."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find all of the helpful, time-saving teaching resources you need to create a dynamic, interactive management course. The Instructor's Website includes the Instructor's Manual (IM) files, Testing files, PowerPoint slides, and a DVD Guide to help you most effectively use this edition's accompanying video cases. Updated content throughout the IM and PowerPoint slides reflects the latest edition of the text. Almost one-third of the TestBank questions are new. New to this edition, we the Test Bank is now provided in Cognero.
Put management in action with this edition's new video package. The "On the Job" videos illustrate management concepts at work within familiar companies, large and small, giving students an insider's perspective.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your learning management system, your classroom, or wherever you want! The test bank contains more than 3,000 true/false, multiple-choice, short-answer, and essay questions, all tagged according to difficulty level, Bloom's taxonomy, learning outcomes, and other institutional criteria.