Request for consultation
Discover the exciting world of agriculture through EXPLORING AGRISCIENCE, Fifth Edition, the resource that continues to inspire and inform middle school students across the nation. The new, updated Fifth Edition of this respected text combines a strong grounding in fundamentals with information on the latest advances in the field and current opportunities in agricultural education programs. This comprehensive guide opens students’ eyes to all agriscience has to offer, including soil, plants, and row crops; floriculture, forest science, and landscaping; livestock, dairy, and poultry industries; aquaculture and companion animals; hand tools; small engine operation; and more. In addition, information on topics such as organic agriculture, biofuels, and biotechnology—and an all-new chapter on urban agriculture—introduces students to the trends and developments shaping the industry today, as well as promising initiatives for the future.
- An all-new chapter on urban agriculture enlightens students on this unique area of agriscience, which has become an increasingly widespread and important trend in today’s society.
- Accurate, up-to-date statistics on relevant topics are included to spark awareness of current issues and trends in the field, as well as equipping students with timely facts and figures to inform their understanding of modern agriscience.
- The Fifth Edition includes updated information on the national FFA) organization, including Supervised Agricultural Experiences (SAEs), other activities, and current educational opportunities in agriscience.
- A combined English Glossary/Spanish Glosario provides additional support for ESL students, making it easier to learn key terms and concepts in either language, and to translate professional terminology between them.
- Thoroughly revised for the Fifth Edition, the text’s accompanying Lab Manual features fun and challenging hands-on experiments to strengthen knowledge of topics introduced in the text chapters.
- The MindTap® supplement provides an integrated online course—including the textbook in digital format, lab exercises, videos, games, activities, and quizzes—making it simple to offer a digital option for teaching and learning.
- Reader-friendly and visually appealing, the book features a writing style that is engaging and easy to understand for today’s middle school students, as well as numerous photos, illustrations, and factual tables to help bring key concepts to life.
- For Further Exploration features included in every chapter present interesting facts on selected topics to increase students’ engagement with the material and facilitate learning.
- A robust Chapter Review concludes each chapter, providing a useful tool to evaluate student comprehension of the topics covered.
- The text companion site includes bonus projects that expand on chapter content, as well as Answers to Questions, Lesson Plans, PowerPoint® presentations, and Online Testing powered by Cognero®, making course preparation, easier, faster, and more effective.
2. The History of Agriculture.
3. Soil: The Origin of Life.
4. Plant Structures and their Uses.
5. Agricultural Pests.
7. Nursery Production.
9. Fruit and Nut Production.
10. Row Crops.
11. Forest Science.
12. Protecting the Environment.
13. Organic Agriculture.
14. The Livestock Industry.
15. The Dairy Industry.
16. The Poultry Industry.
17. The Science of Aquaculture.
18. Urban Agriculture.
19. Companion Animals.
20. Preserving our Food Supply.
21. The Ethical Treatment of Animals.
22. Selecting and Using Hand Tools.
23. Small Engine Operation.
25. Biotechnology: The Future of Agriculture.
26. High School Agricultural Education Programs.
27. Careers in Agricultural Science.
English Glossary & Spanish Glosario.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Revised for the current text edition, the Lab Manual for Herren's Exploring Agriscience, Fifth Edition, contains a variety of exercises to help students retain and apply key concepts presented in the textbook. Labs are organized by topic and include step-by-step, hands-on experiments that demonstrate these key concepts, as well as follow-up questions to develop critical-thinking skills.
Instructor's Companion Website
The companion site to accompany for Herren's Exploring Agriscience, Fifth Edition, features tools to support learning and facilitate teaching: Answers to review questions appearing at the end of each chapter, as well as answers to lab manual questions, allow teachers to assess and document student learning. Lesson plans provide an outline of key topics in each chapter, and they correlate to accompanying PowerPoint® presentations. PowerPoint® presentations align with the provided lesson plans and include photos and illustrations to visually reinforce the key points in each chapter. Testing powered by Cognero®, a flexible online system, provides chapter-by-chapter quizzes. Bonus agriscience projects offer another tool to provide students with an opportunity to practice what they are learning in the classroom—while having fun! An image gallery features full-color photos and illustrations from the text that can easily enhance classroom presentations. For these instructor-specific resources, please visit CengageBrain.com at http://login.cengage.com and follow the prompts for obtaining access to this secure site.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Revised for the current text edition, the Lab Manual for Herren's EXPLORING AGRISCIENCE, Fifth Edition, includes plenty of fun, hands-on experiments that help demonstrate what you are learning in your textbook.