Request for consultation
Now you can "teach by example" with the unique approach to economics found only in McEachern's acclaimed ECONOMICS: A CONTEMPORARY INTRODUCTION, 11E. The text uses examples and illustrations that your students will recognize when they show up for class the first day, because they already have at least 17 years of personal experience with economic choices, institutions, and events. This book truly leads by example, taking a "just-in-time" approach that introduces material just as it is needed to develop an argument. Clear and interesting exposition combines with case studies, recent research findings, and a focused design. Relevant case studies are integrated into the flow of each chapter. Each chapter includes a one-page case study in the printed book as well as a second case study online. The book's well-crafted approach is enhanced with resources, such as Aplia® and MindTap®, that help improve student understanding and help you streamline tasks and save valuable time.
- THE MOST RECENT EXAMPLES AND RELEVANT, SUPPORTING RESEARCH KEEP STUDENTS ENGAGED. To help your students better understand economic concepts, updates to examples and research published since the previous edition went to press are presented in simple, clear language. All examples keep economic material engaging and relevant to your students' lives. Brief definitions, section titles, exhibit titles, and captions are direct and to the point to keep students' attention.
- OVERARCHING THEME HIGHLIGHTS THE IMPACT OF TECHNOLOGY IN ALL ASPECTS OF ECONOMIC LIFE. From Spotify or the price elasticity of e-books to smart apps for tracking fitness and nutrition or the effect of the Internet on labor productivity, this edition discusses how technological developments directly impact production, employment, sales, and consumption.
- EMPHASIS ON TODAY'S MOST RECENT RESEARCH REINFORCES KEY ECONOMIC PRINCIPLES. This edition draws on recent research to stimulate your students' interest, to reinforce economic principles, and, in a few cases, to offer an alternative perspective. The edition cites and discusses more than 150 studies published after the previous edition went to press. The author has selected these studies from his review of more than a thousand relevant publications.
- NEW TOPICS INTRODUCE FRESH ECONOMICS PERSPECTIVES. Students examine not-for-profit hospitals that employ more people than some major corporations; how easy online price comparisons have made demand more price sensitive; and how strong brand loyalty passes across family generations. They also study why labor unions have failed in high-tech industries ; how job loss can negatively impact health; how stronger know-how increases output; how pawn shop have grown by 50 percent since 2008's financial crisis; and how developing economies present challenges for franchise operators, such as KFC.
- NEW PROGRESSION GRAPHS ONLINE SOFTWARE HELPS CLARIFY UNDERSTANDING. Students can now build the more challenging graphs in the book one step at a time using the book's new online software, Progression Graphs.
- MCEACHERN LEADS BY EXAMPLE. The author introduces each economic idea by using common everyday student experiences to bridge the gap between what students already know and the unfamiliar world of economics.
- "CHECKPOINT QUESTIONS" HELP ASSESS RECALL. After each major section, your students are asked a key "Checkpoint Question" to help evaluate how well they recall and understand what they just read.
- END-OF-CHAPTER QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS ARE CLEARLY IDENTIFIED BY CHAPTER CONCEPTS. These questions and problems that correspond with major concepts give you flexibility for easier assignments while helping students find the specific material they need to review if a question or problem gives them difficulty.
- BOOK IS FULLY INTEGRATED WITH APLIA®, THE MOST SUCCESSFUL ONLINE PRODUCT FOR ECONOMICS. Aplia® offers interactive tools to help better prepare economics students. For you, the instructor, Aplia® provides access to high-quality, auto-graded assignments that ensure your students put forth effort on a regular basis throughout the term.
- MINDTAP® OFFERS A PERSONALIZED TEACHING EXPERIENCE THAT GUIDES STUDENTS IN ANALYZING, APPLYING, AND IMPROVING THINKING. Measure skills and outcomes with ease. Personalized teaching becomes yours through a Learning Path built with key student objectives and your syllabus in mind. Control what students see and when they see it. Relevant readings, multimedia, and activities take students from basic knowledge to analysis and application. Analytics and reports provide a snapshot of class progress, time in course, engagement and completion rates.
- CLEAR, COLOR-CODED GRAPHS ENHANCE UNDERSTANDING. Special care has been taken to ensure all graphics are understandable with curves that are systematically color-coded to enhance student understanding.
- "TO REVIEW" ENSURES STUDENT COMPREHENSION. These helpful sections sum up lengthy concepts. Brief one-sentence questions, inserted into the flow of the text, make certain that students comprehend what they're studying and are ready to continue through the material.
2. Some Tools of Economic Analysis.
3. Economic Decision Makers.
4. Demand, Supply, and Markets.
5. Elasticity of Demand and Supply.
6. Consumer Choice and Demand.
7. Production and Cost in the Firm.
8. Perfect Competition.
10. Monopolistic Competition and Oligopoly.
11. Resource Markets.
12. Labor Markets and Labor Unions.
13. Capital, Interest, Entrepreneurship, and Corporate Finance.
14. Transaction Costs, Asymmetric Information, and Behavioral Economics.
15. Economic Regulation and Antitrust Policy.
16. Public Goods and Public Choice.
17. Externalities and the Environment.
18 Poverty and Redistribution.
19. Introduction to Macroeconomics.
20. Tracking the U. S. Economy.
21. Unemployment and Inflation.
22. U.S. Productivity and Growth.
23. Aggregate Demand.
24. Aggregate Supply.
25. Fiscal Policy.
26. Federal Budgets and Public Policy.
27. Money and the Financial System.
28. Banking and the Money Supply.
29. Monetary Theory and Policy.
30. The Policy Debate: Active or Passive?
31. International Trade.
32. International Finance.
33. Economic Development.
"I have used Aplia for many years. I believe that the assignments are a very effective learning tool when used correctly."
"[To enable positive outcomes, I use] anything that encourages [students] to be active learners. I use Aplia for homework and conceptual questions during class to encourage participation."
"Almost across the board, students using MindTap improved on the main learning objectives of the class ...I've never seen any results like this."
"MindTap was very useful – it was easy to follow and everything was right there."
"I'm definitely more engaged because of MindTap."
"MindTap puts practice questions in a format that works well for me."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Companion Website for McEachern's Economics: A Contemporary Introduction
Find everything you need in one place. The Instructor's password-protected section of this website contains electronic versions of the Instructor's Manual, Test Bank in Word, PowerPoint® Lecture Slides and Exhibit Slides, Supplemental Case Studies, and the Teaching Assistance Manual.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access for McEachern's Macroeconomics: A Contemporary Introduction
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access for McEachern's Microeconomics: A Contemporary Introduction
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.