Request for consultation
A streamlined learning package, ADMINISTRATIVE MEDICAL ASSISTING, 8e, features step-by-step procedures designed to help readers develop front-office job skills and critical thinking through real-life scenarios. A long-time favorite, this text reflects the author’s passion for medical assisting, her keen focus on the newest developments in the profession, and innovative learning approaches. This proven package also offers readers the opportunity to develop key administrative competencies in professional responsibilities, interpersonal and written communications, records management, financial administration, and managing the office. Chapters have been reorganized to focus on the latest accreditation and certification standards, and feature new or updated content in skill competency requirements, electronic technology, insurance regulations (including health care reform and coding), legal compliance, and more. Reader-friendly and thorough, ADMINISTRATIVE MEDICAL ASSISTING, 8e, is the essential tool for preparing today’s medical assistants for success as 21st-century allied health professionals.
- NEW Electronic Health Records: Fresh content on electronic health records introduces readers to the newest EHR applications and features, including the total practice management system, automated reminder systems, computerized and internet appointments, computerized provider order entry, electronic documents, electronic filing systems, electronic messaging systems, ordering tests and test results electronically, electronic tickler files, health care sharing databases, HIPAA backup guidelines, and electronic security.
- Updated Health Care Reform: Extensive new coverage of the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act reveals its impact on medical assisting and discusses the latest developments in state insurance exchanges, Consumer-Directed Health Plans, HITECH, integrated care networks, EHR “meaningful use” incentive programs, Internet and telemedicine physician visits, and much more.
- Realigned Chapters: Reorganized for more logical presentation, Chapter 2 (The Health Care Environment: Past, Present, and Future) now includes all managed care content, while Chapter 13 (The Revenue Cycle: Fees, Credit, and Collection) contains fee schedule information.
- Better Bookkeeping: Chapter 15 now includes all posting procedures, along with electronic bookkeeping components, posting Explanation of Benefits, and two new examples for contract adjustments.
- Distinct Coding Chapters: Now with divided content for laser focus, Chapter 16 (Procedural Coding) offers the latest standards and in-depth instructions for coding with 2017 CPT and HCPCS Level II, while Chapter 17 (Diagnostic Coding) targets 2017 coding guidelines with expanded examples for ICD-10-CM.
- Helpful Visuals: Chapter 18 gives readers a look at today’s new health insurance cards, the new CMS-1500 Health Insurance Claim form, the insurance claim lifecycle, and a table of the types of health insurance coverage in the United States.
- Inclusive Claims Resource: Three full chapters plus an appendix deliver clear, reader-friendly CMS-1500 claim form instructions, and offer readers a complete go-to resource for the basics of procedure and diagnostic coding, insurance plans and programs, and claim submission.
- Quick-Reference Icons: Found throughout the text, special icons call out important content in customer service applications, electronic health records, health care reform regulations, patient education, legal compliance issues, and even “stop and think” scenarios that help readers apply content to real-world applications.
- Certification Success: Chapters list relevant CMA (AAMA), RMA (AMT), and CMAS (AMT) competencies, while sample review questions mirror the types featured on certification exams—giving students a healthy chance for success with professional certifications.
- Mapped Competencies: An easy-to-read table in both the textbook and Instructor Resources ties CAAHEP and ABHES competencies to their locations in the chapter content, and includes figures, procedures, and job skills for each competency. The back-of-the-book index also lists key reference terms used by these agencies, as well as terms included in the CMA, RMA, and CMAS exam outlines, to make locating and applying this material to your course easy.
- Skill Building Procedures: Designed to correlate with ABHES and CAAHEP competency standards, more than 100 step-by-step procedures that support more than 150 essential job skills help readers develop their abilities while preparing for certification tests.
1. A Career as an Administrative Medical Assistant.
2. The Health Care Environment: Past, Present, and Future.
3. Medicolegal and Ethical Responsibilities.
UNIT 2: INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATIONS.
4. The Art of Communication.
5. Receptionist and the Medical Office Environment.
6. Telephone Procedures.
UNIT 3: RECORDS MANAGEMENT.
8. Filing Procedures.
9. Medical Records.
10. Drug and Prescription Records.
UNIT 4: WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS.
11. Written Correspondence.
12. Processing Mail and Electronic Correspondence.
UNIT 5: FINANCIAL ADMINISTRATION.
13. The Revenue Cycle: Fees, Credit, and Collection.
16. Procedure Coding.
17. Diagnostic Coding.
18. Health Insurance Systems and Claim Submission.
UNIT 6: MANAGING THE OFFICE.
19. Office Managerial Responsibilities.
20. Financial Management of the Medical Practice.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations that coordinate with the text, an instructor’s manual, test and review questions, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant or deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Designed to help readers retain key chapter content, this resource includes chapter objective questions, key-term definition queries, and problems in multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-or-false formats.
Designed to help you retain key chapter content, this resource includes chapter objective questions, key-term definition queries, and problems in multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-or-false formats.