Request for consultation
A comprehensive guide for aspiring carpenters, cabinetmakers, or woodworking hobbyists, WOODWORKING , 2nd Edition introduces the basics of woodworking tools and materials while also exploring the art of creating finished pieces and establishing a career in the woodworking industry. Featuring a full color design, each procedure is fully explained in a clear, step-by-step manner, from the beginner woodworking tasks to the more complex processes involved in cabinetry, joinery, finish carpentry and more. With a strong emphasis on safety and solid craftsmanship, WOODWORKING, 2nd Edition encourages the development of effective practices and skills that are sure to lead to success!
- Back to Basics: Emphasizes key knowledge and skills in precision measurement, cutting, safety, and more.
- All-New Topics: CNC machining, automation, laser engraving, interior casework/trim/millwork installations, and kitchen cabinet installations provide students with information on these important topics.
- Expanded Information: More in-depth information explores popular stationary power tools and safe practices as well as new techniques on joinery.
- New, Learning Features: "What's Wrong with This?" and "Green Reminders" highlight current issues and trends in the building and construction industry.
- Analytical Approach: Students read and interpret drawings, prepare cut lists, and estimate materials for a variety of projects and problems, helping to build real problem-solving experience.
- Career Moves: An exciting chapter on business opportunities illuminates the many pathways to professional success in woodworking.
- Safety Focus: A full chapter on safety and "Safety" notes throughout the chapters highlight situations in which to apply protective measures and encourage students to develop safe practices.
- Systematic Learning: Detailed procedures throughout the chapters demonstrate how woodworking tasks should progress,walking students through the critical steps and processes required for building and finishing pieces.
- Skill-Building Projects: Encourages studentsto hone fundamental skills before advancing to complex projects, and provides "Build-It" tasks for beginners and "Project Challenge" assignments for more experienced or advanced students.
- Bold Insights: Highlighted throughout the chapters, "Woodworking Tips" and factual features give students extra information to add interest and ensure success.
1. The Woodworking Industry.
2. General Safety Practices.
SECTION 2: TOOLS OF THE TRADE.
3. Hand Tools.
4. Portable Power Tools.
5. Stationary Shop Tools.
SECTION 3: CLAMPS, FASTENERS AND ADHESIVES.
SECTION 4: WOODWORKING MATERIALS.
10. Panel Products.
12. Synthetic Materials.
SECTION 5: JOINERY AND ASSEMBLY.
13. Construction Methods.
14. Stock Preparation.
15. Case Joints.
16. Frame Joints.
17. Rail Joints.
18. Housed Joints.
19. Making Wide Panels, Thick Blanks, and Corner Joints.
SECTION 6: CABINET AND FURNITURE ANATOMY.
21. Cabinet Doors and Drawers.
22. Tables and Desks.
SECTION 7: FINISHING.
27. Surface Preparation.
28. Finishes and Application Methods.
SECTION 8: SPECIAL TOPICS.
29: Bending Wood.
31. Decorative Techniques.
32. Designing a Project.
33. Fabricating Countertops.
34. Running Your Own Business.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The Instructor Resources for WOODWORKING, 2nd Edition includes the electronic version of the Instructor's Guide, PowerPoint® presentations, a Computerized Test Bank and an Image Library.
Designed to coordinate with WOODWORKING, 2nd Edition, this workbook contains questions in several formats, including new material to address updated content. Perforated pages and three-hole punched binding make this a convenient resource for independent classroom activities and homework assignments. Answers to questions may be found in the accompanying Instructor's Guide, which is available in print or electronic format.
CourseMate 1-Year Instant Access
Cengage Learning's WOODWORKING CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook or eBook, and the book-specific website. WOODWORKING CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
Designed to coordinate with WOODWORKING, 2nd Edition, this workbook contains questions in several formatsand new material to address updated content. Perforated pages and three-hole punched binding make this a convenient resource for practice and homework assignments.
CourseMate 1-Year Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.