Request for consultation
Give your students a classic introduction to computer concepts with a modern twist with Morley/Parker's UNDERSTANDING COMPUTERS: TODAY AND TOMORROW, COMPREHENSIVE, 16E. Known for a unique emphasis on societal issues and industry insights from respected leaders, this book makes computer concepts relevant to today's career-focused students. This edition offers an increased emphasis on mobile computing and related issues, such as mobile commerce and mobile security. Students become familiar with the impact of new and emerging technologies, including smart watches, drones, 3D scanners and printers, robot assistants, perceptual computing, 5G, White Fi and much more.
- UPDATES ADDRESS TECHNOLOGIES THAT IMPACT OUR DAILY LIVES. Students examine new technologies in daily use, including wearables, such as smart watches and smart glasses; drones; smart appliances; 3D scanners and printers; mobile commerce; and EMV credit cards.
- UPDATED COVERAGE THE LATEST EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES. This edition reviews modular smartphones, smartphone driver licenses, robot butlers and other robotic assistants, perceptual computing, smart clothes, 4K video. Students also study evolving networking standards, such as 5G, LTE-U, and White-Fi.
- UPDATED "ASK THE EXPERT" BOXES FROM INDUSTRY LEADERS PROVIDE REAL-WORLD INSIGHTS ON THE LATEST TECHNOLOGIES AND TRENDS. This edition provides insights from influential leaders on how new technologies will impact computing and other industries in the future. For example, students gain input from Brandon Mairs, CEO and President of Arubixs. They review predictions about smartphone fast-food purchasing from Sarah Beddoe, Vice President of Marketing at SONIC, America's Drive-In.
- STREAMLINED AND REORGANIZED CONTENT ASSISTS IN STUDENT COMPREHENSION. All security and privacy concerns and safeguards related to computers, networks, and the Internet now appear in a single chapter (Chapter 9) for a cohesive, streamlined presentation. Key topics related to multimedia and e-commerce are now introduced in other chapters.
- UPDATED TO FEATURE MICROSOFT® WINDOWS 10 AND OFFICE 2016. You are assured your students are learning to work with the latest operating systems and applications as all chapters reflect the latest MS Windows 10 and Office 2016 changes and advantages.
- INTERVIEWS WITH INDUSTRY EXPERTS OFFER FIRST-HAND INSIGHTS ON THE DIRECTION OF TECHNOLOGY TODAY. These interviews provide students with current and accurate insight into today's new technologies and trends.
- EMPHASIS ON SOCIETAL ISSUES ADDRESSES THE PRACTICAL IMPACT OF TECHNOLOGY ON COMMUNITIES AND CULTURE. This emphasis throughout the book addresses thought- provoking topics, such as ethics, intellectual property rights, security, and privacy. Students stay well informed on topics that are relevant to their lives today and in the future.
- MODULAR ORGANIZATION PROVIDES FLEXIBILITY IN PRESENTATION WITH EMPHASIS ON HOW TOPICS RELATE. While the book is organized into a reader-friendly module, each section clearly highlights how the topic relates to and impacts other technology topics and chapters.
2. The System Unit, Processing, and Memory
4. Input and Output.
5. System Software: Operating Systems and Utility Programs.
6. Application Software: Desktop and Mobile Apps.
7. Networks and Communication Devices.
8. The Internet.
9. Security and Privacy.
10. Information Systems and System Development.
11. Program Development and Programming Languages.
12. Databases and Database Management Systems.
13. Intellectual Property Rights, Ethics, Health, Access, and the Environment.
References and Resources Guide.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website, Comprehensive
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access for Morley/Parker's Understanding Computers: Today and Tomorrow, Comprehensive
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.