Request for consultation
Offering consistent coverage of both substantive and procedural law, this fully revised edition of Slossberg's hands-on book features new cases, new case files, updated forms, and new material related to the recent real estate recession. Slossberg includes hypothetical cases in the book and in an online "virtual law office" (available on CourseMate). By visiting the virtual law office, students can explore a variety of scenarios and sample cases that help them better understand real estate law and practice paralegal skills. Numerous checklists and worksheets used in today's law offices are included to help the reader prepare for a paralegal career.
- New material has been added on the causes of the recent real estate recession and the resulting federal legislative reforms, as well as the related increase in deed fraud and mortgage fraud.
- Expanded and thoroughly up-to-date material has been added on the impact of foreclosures on common interest communities, the leasing of property, short sale transactions from contract through closing, and alternatives to foreclosure.
- The law pertaining to real estate transactions has been updated.
- New forms, new cases, and new client files in the "Virtual Law Office" enhance the hands-on nature of the text.
- Hypothetical client scenarios show a paralegal working on client matters that apply the substantive law covered in the chapter, thus giving students a practical understanding of how a paralegal should proceed with a client.
- "Virtual Law Office" (available in CourseMate) simulates working in a law office environment on client files under the "supervision" of an attorney and with the guidance of a senior paralegal mentor.
- A stand-alone chapter on Ethics prepares readers for the types of dilemmas they are likely to encounter on the job.
- Unique topics include commercial closings, construction loan closings, eviction procedures, mortgage foreclosures, and real estate litigation.
- In-text learning aids, including chapter objectives, chapter summaries, ethical questions, review questions, discussion questions, case law, and case questions, help learners master key concepts.
1. Ethics and Real Property Practice.
2. Basic Principles of Real Estate Law.
3. Categories of Real Estate.
4. Ownership Restrictions.
5. Legal Descriptions of Property.
6. Real Estate Brokers.
7. The Basic Real Estate Contract.
9. Liens on Property.
11. Title Examination and Title Insurance.
PART 2: THE CLOSING: RESIDENTIALAND COMMERCIAL CLOSINGS.
12. An Introduction to the Closing.
13. Residential Real Estate Closings.
14. Commercial Real Estate Closings.
PART 3: LANDLORD/TENANT LAW.
15. Residential Leases.
16. Commercial Leases.
17. Eviction Procedures.
PART 4: REAL ESTATE LITIGATION.
18. Overview of Real Estate Litigation.
19. Mortgage Foreclosures.
"The Slossberg textbook has a distinct advantage over its competitors with its emphasis on practical exercises and the virtual law office assignments."
"The author’s knowledge base of real estate law shows in every chapter with relevant examples and applications being provided which will have tremendous benefits for students. The text is comprehensive yet very easy to read and understand with supportive features such as case law, chapter summaries and review questions. Each student would greatly benefit from this text."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Paralegal CourseMate for Real Estate Law brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. On CourseMate, readers enter a "virtual law office" where they can explore a variety of scenarios that help them understand real estate law and practice paralegal skills using sample cases. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. Paralegal CourseMate for real Estate Law goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards, and take practice quizzes—online with CourseMate. In CourseMate, you have access to a "virtual law office" where you can work in a law office environment on client files under the "supervision" of an attorney and with the guidance of a senior paralegal mentor.