Request for consultation
Warren’s SURVEY OF ACCOUNTING, 8E provides future managers, leaders and professionals with an overview of the basic topics of financial and managerial accounting. The book’s unique Integrated Financial Statement Framework illustrates the impact of transactions on financial statements without the use of detailed rules and procedures involving debits and credits. Additionally, this edition also introduces and incorporates Warren’s Metric Analysis to link transactions and management decisions to metrics that assess the financial condition and performance of businesses – demonstrating the impact of transactions and management decisions on business. SURVEY OF ACCOUNTING, 8E integrates seamlessly with CengageNOWv2™, a powerful course management and online homework tool that provides robust control and customization for you to optimize the student learning experience and meet desired outcomes.
- WARREN’S PROPRIETARY METRIC ANALYSIS* IS INTRODUCED AND USED THROUGHOUT THIS EDITION. Warren’s Metric Analysis uses common business metrics to assess a company’s financial condition and performance. Metrics are assessed at three levels: the transaction level, financial statement level, and the managerial decision-making level. * U.S. Patent pending.
- RETAINED EARNINGS STATEMENT IS REPLACED WITH STATEMENT OF STOCKHOLDERS’ EQUITY THROUGHOUT THE BOOK. Companies normally do not report a separate Retained Earnings Statement, but instead use a Statement of Stockholders’ Equity. This includes columns for changes in retained earnings, common stock, and other equity items. Because of this, the Retained Earnings Statement is now replaced with the Statement of Stockholders’ Equity reflect what students will see in business. This also allows you to use real-world examples of statements of stockholders’ equity for in-class illustrations or homework.
- EACH FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING CHAPTER INCLUDES AT LEAST ONE FINANCIAL STATEMENT METRIC. Financial Statement metrics appear at the end of each chapter. In addition, each financial chapter transaction is analyzed using a liquidity and profitability metric. Assessing and monitoring liquidity and profitability are essential in operating a business. To familiarize students with this important tool, the financial chapters incorporate a variety of liquidity and profitability metrics, depending upon the chapter content.
- EACH MANAGERIAL CHAPTER INCORPORATES AT LEAST ONE METRIC USED BY MANAGERS IN OPERATING A BUSINESS. Many of these metrics are operational in nature and include margin of safety, cost per unit, process yield, and utilization rate. The book also introduces and details other metrics, such as lead time and time to market.
- METRIC ANALYSES ARE CLEARLY IDENTIFIED WITH A SEPARATE SCREEN COLOR. This allows both you and your students to quickly locate and easily identify the metric analyses throughout the chapters and text. The metric analyses also appear in a separate end-of-chapter section for your convenience in assigning homework.
- NEW “WHY IT MATTERS” CONCEPTCLIPS IN CENGAGENOWV2 EXPOSE STUDENTS TO WHY ACCOUNTING MATTERS. Brief captivating video clips that expose students to why the concept is important and how the concept is used in the real world. This is especially helpful information for students who are not accounting majors. ConceptClips are assignable and gradable in CengageNOWv2.
- UPDATED OR REPLACED CHAPTER OPENERS FEATURE RECENT, INTRIGUING DEVELOPMENTS IN ACCOUNTING. The author has woven connections to the opening company highlighted in the chapter opener throughout each chapter. This promotes a stronger connection as students gain additional insights into the opening company and its relationship to the chapter content.
- WHEN REAL PUBLICLY TRADED COMPANIES APPEAR THROUGHOUT THE BOOK, THEIR (TICKERS) SYMBOLS ARE ALSO PRESENTED. This allows students to easily look up the company’s financial data on the Internet. For example, students can access a company’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings using the SEC’s Edgar search engine (http://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/companysearch.html).
- INTEGRATED FINANCIAL STATEMENT FRAMEWORK ILLUSTRATES TRANSACTIONS ON FINANCIAL STATEMENTS WITHOUT DETAILED RULES AND PROCEDURES INVOLVING DEBITS AND CREDITS. This book’s unique Integrated Financial Statement Framework shows how transactions impact the three primary financial statements. This approach also emphasizes the integrated nature of accounting.
- THE APPROACH OFFERS YOU FLEXIBILITY TO EMPHASIZE DEBITS AND CREDITS. Appendix A on Double Entry Accounting provides the necessary materials to cover debits and credits, if you prefer. You have the flexibility to take the approach best for your students as this edition’s Instructor’s Manual includes versions of exercises and problems using debits and credits.
- KEY TERMS ARE HIGHLIGHTED TO PREPARE STUDENTS FOR HANDS-ON USE. Key terms appear in each chapter as well as in new sections on Analysis and Assessment and Financial Analysis.
- STUDENT-FRIENDLY APPROACH ENCOURAGES SUCCESSFUL MASTERY OF CONCEPTS. Designed for today’s students, this edition uses an innovative, high-impact writing style that emphasizes topics in a concise and clearly written manner. Direct sentences, brief paragraphs, numbered lists, and step-by-step calculations provide an easy-to-follow structure for learning accounting. This student-friendly approach does not sacrifice content or rigor.
- ILLUSTRATIVE PROBLEMS OFFER CLEAR SOLUTIONS. Illustrative Problems at the end of each chapter help students better understand the chapter concepts through these representative sample problems with solutions.
- IFRS NOTES EMPHASIZE GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS. IFRS notes highlight important differences between U.S. GAAP and International Financial Reporting Standards.
- EMPHASIS ON ETHICS FOCUSES ON ITS IMPORTANCE IN ACCOUNTING TODAY. The "Integrity, Objectivity, and Ethics in Business" features describe real-world ethical situations and show students how to ethically apply those concepts.
- SIMPLE-TO-COMPLEX STUDENT-FRIENDLY FORMAT ENCOURAGES SUCCESS IN LEARNING. Throughout this edition, the author presents accounting concepts in a simple-to-complex format that instills confidence as students progress. Basic accounting concepts are introduced in Chapter 2 using cash transactions. Accrual accounting concepts and transactions are introduced in Chapter 3.
- NON-PROCEDURAL APPROACH HIGHLIGHTS THE IMPORTANCE AND USE OF FINANCIAL REPORTS. This book emphasizes how financial reports are used by business stakeholders to make strong business decisions, rather than focusing on debit and credit terminology.
- CENGAGENOW™V2 OFFERS A POWERFUL COURSE MANAGEMENT AND ONLINE HOMEWORK TOOL. CengageNOWv2 features compelling content at each stage of the learning process to improve student learning outcomes. CengageNOWv2 offers pre-class activities, practice opportunities that prepare students for exams, and innovative tools that help students connect important concepts.
2. Basic Accounting Systems: Cash Basis
3. Basic Accounting Systems: Accrual Basis
4. Accounting for Merchandising Businesses.
5. Internal Control and Cash.
6. Receivables and Inventories.
7. Fixed Assets, Natural Resources, and Intangible Assets.
8. Liabilities and Stockholders’ Equity.
9. Metric Analysis of Financial Statements.
10. Accounting for Manufacturing Operations
11. Cost-Volume-Profit Analysis.
12. Differential Analysis and Product Pricing.
13. Budgeting and Standard Costs
14. Performance Evaluation for Decentralized Operations.
15. Capital Investment Analysis.
Appendix A: Double-Entry Accounting Systems.
Appendix B: Process Cost Systems.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, the solutions manual, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.