Request for consultation
As a statistics and research methods teacher, Professor Sally Caldwell knows what it takes for students to understand and connect with the subject matter. As an author, she knows how to translate her teaching insights into explanations that get through to students. STATISTICS UNPLUGGED, Fourth Edition, retains the goal that has guided it since the First Edition: to help students overcome their apprehension of statistics. Caldwell does this by emphasizing the logic behind statistical analysis, and by helping students gain an intuitive understanding of statistics rather than focusing solely on formulas and equations. Student feedback about the book repeatedly points out its student-friendly language and how the writing style makes the material understandable. Brief and affordable, STATISTICS UNPLUGGED succinctly alleviates students' fears about formulas, and helps them to understand the relevance of statistics to their lives. And, for the first time, the book is available with CourseMate, which offers an easy way to complement the text with study and practice materials, including an interactive eBook.
- Expanded discussions of fundamental topics such as Z scores, variance, standard deviation, standard errors, and sampling distributions to enhance your students' understanding of the more important statistical concepts.
- For the first time, the availability of CourseMate, which offers an easy way to complement the text. New interactive exercises and quizzes maintain the structure of existing problems but are expanded, to promote student engagement in the process of statistical reasoning.
- An increased number of "Learning Check" questions that provide your students with a key question (along with the answer) to help ensure that they understand the material just covered.
- Each chapter begins with an introduction and a preview of major sections to be covered.
- Appearing periodically in every chapter, a "Learning Check" provides students with a key question (along with the answer) to help ensure that they understand the material just covered.
- The author's conversational writing style and practical approach helps students overcome their apprehension of statistics, and see the relevance of statistics to their own lives.
- Reader-friendly examples have been deliberately selected to allow students to focus on what is really going on with the numbers instead of being overwhelmed by the numbers themselves.
1. THE What and How of Statistics.
2. Describing Data and Distributions.
3. The Shape of Distributions.
4. The Normal Curve.
5. Four Fundamental Concepts.
6. Confidence Intervals.
7. Hypothesis Testing with a Single Sample Mean.
8. Hypothesis Testing with Two Samples (Mean Difference and Difference Between Means).
9. Beyond the Null Hypothesis.
10. Analysis of Variance.
11. The Chi-Square Test.
12. Correlation and Regression.
Appendix A: Table of Areas Under the Normal Curve (Distribution of Z).
Appendix B: Family of t Distributions (Two-Tailed Test).
Appendix C: Family of t Distributions (One-Tailed Test).
Appendix D: Distribution of F (.05 Level of Significance).
Appendix E: Distribution of F (.01 Level of Significance).
Appendix F: Distribution of Q (.05 Level of Significance).
Appendix G: Distribution of Q (.01 Level of Significance).
Appendix H: Critical Values for Chi-Square (x2).
Appendix I: Critical Values of r (Correlation Coefficient).
Appendix J: Data Sets and Computer-Based Data Analysis.
Answers to Chapter Problems.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.