Request for consultation
Sherri Jackson's RESEARCH METHODS: A MODULAR APPROACH combines a lively writing style with a novel approach to offer a refreshing alternative for the research methods course. Topics are treated in relatively compact units that, though logically sequenced, can be used in any order. The critical thinking theme that threads through the book engages the reader and asks them to continually evaluate evidence. This brief yet comprehensive book covers all the basic principles of research methods in a format that affords maximum flexibility in teaching and while encouraging active learning.
- Photos have been added to the book, with chapter opening images and selected Images within chapters.
- More contemporary research examples have been added to several chapters.
- The Excel, SPSS, and TI-84 appendix that first appeared in the second edition has been updated to represent the most recent versions of these tools.
- Topics are treated in relatively compact units that follow a logical sequence for the course, however, they are written so that they can also be used in any order.
- Critical thinking approach is embedded in every module. This theme encourages the type of thinking that is necessary for effective research. There are critical thinking checks throughout each module continually ask students to evaluate evidence.
- A running marginal glossary of terms ensures that students understand the material as they read it.
- Review tables pull material together in a table format, making it easier for students to review material and to prepare for exams. These appear within every module.
- End-of-module material that includes, Summary, Review of Key Terms, Module Exercises, Critical Thinking Check Answers and web resources, supports active learning and increased comprehension of the material.
- The approach is direct and inviting, the prose clear and user friendly. Explanations are simple and concise yet accurate. A popular tone, with reference to public figures and events, pervades the writing, inviting and engaging the reader. No attentive reader will have difficulty with this text.
Module 1. Science and Psychology.
Module 2. An Introduction to Research Methods.
2. GETTING STARTED.
Module 3. Research ideas.
Module 4. Ethical Research.
Module 5. Defining, Measuring, and Manipulation Variables.
Module 6. Reliability and Validity.
4. DESCRIPTIVE METHODS.
Module 7. Observational and Qualitative Methods.
Module 8. Survey Methods.
5. PREDICTIVE (RELATIONAL) METHODS.
Module 9. Conducting Correlational Research.
Module 10. Quasi-Experimental Designs.
Module 11. Conducting Single-Case Research.
6. EXPLANATORY METHODS.
Module 12. Between-Participants Experimental Designs.
Module 13. Correlated –Groups and Developmental Designs.
Module 14. Advanced Experimental Designs.
7. UNDERSTANDING RESULTS: DESCRIBING DATA.
Module 15. Data Organization, Central Tendency, and Variance.
Module 16. Transformation Scores and Correlation Coefficients.
8. UNDERSTANDING RESULTS: MAKING INFERENCES I.
Module 17. Hypothesis Testing.
Module 18. The r Test for Independent Groups.
9. UNDERSTANDING RESULTS: MAKING INFERENCES II.
Module 19. r Test for Correlated Groups (Samples).
Module 20. Analysis of Variance (ANOVA).
10. APA COMMUNICATION GUIDELINES.
Module 21. Communicating Research Findings.
Module 22. APA Sample Manuscript.
Appendix A. Answers to Odd-Numbered Exercises.
Appendix B. Statiustical Tables.
Appendix C. Excel, SPSS, and TI-84 Exercises.
Appendix D. Computational Formulas for ANOVA's.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
The instructor's resource manual (IRM) contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It presents chapter-by-chapter suggestions and resources to enhance and facilitate learning. For assessment support this manual also includes a test bank, featuring multiple choice, matching, and essay questions.