Request for consultation
Bring the law of real estate ownership, transfer, and development to life for your students, as together you examine the day-to-day transactions of today’s real estate marketplace with Marianne Jennings's REAL ESTATE LAW, 11E. This practical hands-on study of the laws affecting real property continues the author’s distinctive presentation style with lively case selections and clear discussions of the rules and regulations of real estate. This book’s unique, realistic approach has received significant praise for assisting students as well as practicing real estate professionals in recognizing, preventing, and resolving legal problems. This edition keeps students actively engaged with the latest changes in the law, new cases, and surprising developments, ranging from endless foreclosures to liability issues for birds landing in one’s buildings.
- NEW CPA PROBLEMS AND REVIEW QUESTIONS PREPARE STUDENTS FOR SUCCESS ON THE EXAM. These helpful new problems now appear in select chapters, providing students with challenging questions similar to those covered on the CPA exam.
- UPDATED COVERAGE ADDRESSES THE VERY LATEST DEVELOPMENTS. This edition covers the requirements for qualification; disclosures by sellers about issues and problems with property, such as criminal activity; the challenges of underwater mortgages, lengthy foreclosures, deficiency judgments, and zoning and environmental regulation in property development; federal and state reforms in response to the subprime crisis, including anti-predatory lending provisions; fracking in oil and gas; spite fence problems; and land ownership due to expansion of solar and wind power rights.
- ETHICAL ISSUES ENCOURAGE THOUGHTFUL CONSIDERATION. Proven and class-tested ethics questions take the student beyond the simple legal issues, asking them to evaluate conduct for its fairness and honesty in fact.
- TODAY’S MOST RECENT EXCERPTED CASES INTRODUCE THE LANGUAGE OF THE COURT. For clear presentation, case facts are summarized by the author, while opinions are presented in the language of the court. These cases pertain to many issues affecting today’s real estate market, including environmental issues, foreclosures, eminent domain, unmarried cohabitants, and home owners' associations. Many case are from 2015 with new cases in every chapter.
- INNOVATIVE LEARNING FEATURES AND CLEAR APPROACH ENSURE UNDERSTANDING. Each chapter contains "Consider . . ." features that encourage students to refine their critical-thinking skills by applying the rule of law to a slightly different fact scenario. Additional "Practical Tip" sidebars highlight useful pointers for successfully practicing real estate law.
1. Introduction and Sources of Real Estate Law.
2. Land Interests: Present and Future.
3. Extent of Real Estate Interests.
4. Nonpossessory Interests in Real Estate.
7. Describing Land Interests.
PART II: REAL ESTATE OWNERSHIP.
8. Co-ownership of Real Estate.
9. The Landlord-Tenant Relationship.
10. Commercial Leases.
11. Real Estate Communities: Multiunit Interests and Owners' Associations.
PART III: TRANSFERRING TITLE TO REAL ESTATE.
12. The Broker's Role in the Transfer of Real Estate.
13. The Purchase Contract.
14. Methods of Transfer and Conveyance in Real Estate.
15. Financing in the Transfer of Real Estate.
16. Closing the Deal.
17. Transferring Real Estate after Death: Wills, Estates, and Probate.
PART IV: REAL ESTATE AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT.
19. Constitutional Issues in Real Estate.
20. Environmental Regulation and Sustainability.
21. Legal Issues in Land and Economic Development.
22. Tax Aspects of Real Estate Ownership and Transfer.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, Powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.