Request for consultation
This comprehensive introduction to assessment, created specifically for counseling students, presents mathematical and statistical concepts in a simple and useful manner. The book stresses the importance of counselors being good consumers of assessment tools, and helps them avoid misusing tools in manners that may be harmful to clients. Updated throughout, PRINCIPLES AND APPLICATIONS OF ASSESSMENT IN COUNSELING, 5th Edition includes material on the DSM-5 and corresponds to the 2014 Standards for Educational and Psychological Testing as well as to the 2016 CACREP Standards. MindTap®, an online learning experience built on the book's content, is available with the text. MindTap guides students through the course by combining readings, video examples and other multimedia, applied activities, and assessments into a singular Learning Path.
- This edition corresponds to the 2014 Standards for Educational and Psychological Testing as well as to the 2016 CACREP Standards.
- A new chapter (13) discusses behavioral assessment.
- The chapter on ethical and legal issues in assessment now appears earlier in the book, as Chapter 5. This chapter now contains a comprehensive overview of the 2014 ACA Code of Ethics related to assessment.
- Chapter 15, "Diagnosis," includes an overview of the DSM-5 and an introduction to the disorders most commonly diagnosed by counselors.
- Updated throughout, the book includes information on instruments that have been revised recently (e.g., the WISC-V).
- The new MindTap® for Principles and Applications of Assessment in Counseling, is an online learning platform offering customizable content, course analytics, an e-reader, and an applied learning experience -- all delivered within your current learning management system. With its rich array of media assets -- all tagged by learning objective and Bloom's Taxonomy level -- MindTap engages students, guides them toward mastery of basic concepts, and advances their critical thinking abilities.
- The author emphasizes developing trends in the discipline by covering all CACREP (The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs) assessment standards.
- A unique chapter related to assessment in the area of marriage and family will be of special interest to AAMFT (American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists) accredited programs.
- The book covers basic measurement concepts in a manner that students find easy to learn.
- Detailed discussions of specific assessment methods and strategies -- including clinical measures, interviewing, and observations in personality assessment -- help readers to understand the relevance of each tool and strategy.
- The book focuses on the importance of using assessment results to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of counseling. Examples and applications are geared specifically to the counseling audience.
2. Basic Assessment Principles.
4. Validity and Item Analysis.
5. Ethical and Legal Issues in Assessment.
6. Issues Related to Assessment with Diverse Populations.
7. Selecting, Administering, Scoring, and Communicating Assessment Results.
8. Initial Assessment in Counseling.
9. Intelligence and General Ability Testing.
10. Assessing Achievement and Aptitude: Applications for Counseling.
11. Assessment in Career Counseling.
12. Appraisal of Personality.
13. Behavioral Assessment.
14. Assessment in Marriage and Family Counseling.
16. Monitoring and Evaluating Counseling.
Appendix A: Section E, ACA Code of Ethics.
Appendix B: z scores.
Appendix C: Standards for Multicultural Assessment, Fourth Revision, 2012.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
This detailed manual provides sample syllabi, course guidelines, in-class exercises, and chapter objectives to assist instructors in teaching the course.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.