Request for consultation
LEGAL ANALYSIS AND WRITING, 4TH EDITION helps readers analyze statutes and cases and draft supporting legal memoranda. In addition to the fundamentals of good writing, legal or otherwise, the book illustrates how paralegals analyze and brief cases, identify key facts and legal issues, and apply case law and counteranalysis to legal matters, and more. Going beyond mere explanations, the book shows readers how to apply concepts to hypothetical situations, draft legal memoranda and correspondence, and scrutinize legal citations and Web research, to develop a thorough understanding of the analytical and writing responsibilities paralegals undertake. Legal Analysis and Writing, 4th Edition is a robust resource for any paralegal writing course and includes a host of available supplemental tools designed to enhance learning while simplifying instructor preparation.
- New Appendices: A new Web sites appendix includes an extensive list of useful sites, along with a discussion on the dangers of using non-fee-based sites, while the updatedOverview of Legal Citations appendix includes a new overview of the general rules, such as capitalization, quotations, pinpoint citations, and signals.
- Extra Coverage and Examples: New materials on Statutory Analysis, Case Law, and Case Briefing in Chapters 3 and 4 provide more opportunities for readers to practice identifying, interpreting, and citing cases.
- Fundamental Writing Lessons: Added to Chapter 11, the updated discussion on the fundamentals of writing includes additions to the Word Selection, Grammar, and Punctuation sections to expand reader knowledge of general writing principles.
- Added Practice Assignments: Two new memoranda exercises, as well as new chapter assignments in Case Law and Case Briefing, Key Facts, and Issue Identification give readers even more practice developing essential paralegal skills.
- Improved Formatting: Exhibits and examples have been reformatted to make it easier for readers to find, understand, and use references, while logically matching citations to the appropriate readings.
- Hypothetical Situations: Featured throughout the book, realistic scenarios place readers in the center of legal issues, where they gain better perspective and practice applying legal concepts.
- Helpful References and Resources: Detailed information about the reference sections of statutes give insight into finding the information paralegals need, while Internet Resources allow students to access additional information on chapter topics.
- Supporting Examples: Key Examples follow each key principle and concept to illustrate practical applications and facilitate better comprehension of the material.
- Less Legalese: Chapter discussions use lay terms instead of confusing legalese wherever possible to ease students into the subject matter, avoid overwhelming them with new terms, and improve readability.
2. Introduction to Legal Analysis.
3. Statutory Analysis.
4. Case Law and Case Briefing.
5. Key Facts.
6. Issue Identification.
7. Stating the Issue.
8. Case Law Application.
10. Legal Writing Process--General Considerations.
11. Fundamentals of Writing.
12. Office Legal Memorandum--Assignments, Facts, and Issues.
13. Office Legal Memorandum--Analysis to Conclusion.
14. External Memorandums.
Appendix A: Court Opinions Referred to in the Text.
Appendix B: Appellate Court Brief.
Appendix C: Overview of Legal Citation.
Appendix D: Web Sites.
"I have personally reviewed several other legal writing texts and by far the best on the market is the one written by Putman. It really is the only text I would use in my course. The text by Putman is superior in terms of content, approach and readability."
"This textbook is very well written and follows a logical, how-to format. I am a big fan of Mr. Putman's publications and feel they are the absolute best textbooks when it comes to educating paralegals."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
WebTutor™ on Blackboard® Instant Access Code
Designed to accompany specific Delmar Cengage Learning textbooks, WebTutor™ is an eLearning software solution that turns everyone in your classroom or training center into a front-row learner. Blackboard® and WebCT® components are offered across all of our disciplines. Each WebTutor™ may include chapter learning objectives, online course preparation, study sheets, glossary flashcards, discussion topics, web links, and an online forum to exchange notes and questions. In addition, online chapter quizzes are provided in various formats, including matching exercises, true/false questions, short-answer, and multiple-choice questions with immediate feedback on correct and incorrect answers. Whether you want to Web-enhance your class or offer an entire course online, WebTutor™ allows you to focus on what you do best: teaching.
Instructor Resource CD-ROM
The Instructor Resources CD-ROM includes an Instructor's Manual, Computerized Test Bank in ExamView and customizable PowerPoint® presentations.
Online Instructor's Manual
The Online Instructor's Manual serves as an instructional resource and provides answers to text and CourseMate assignments.
CourseMate Instant Access
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's Paralegal CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. Paralegal CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
WebTutor™ on Blackboard® Instant Access Code
Designed to accompany specific Delmar Cengage Learning textbooks, WebTutor™ is an eLearning software solution that puts you in the front row of your classroom or training center. Blackboard® and WebCT® components are offered across all of our disciplines. Each WebTutor™ may include chapter learning objectives, online course preparation, study sheets, glossary flashcards, discussion topics, web links, and an online forum to exchange notes and questions. In addition, online chapter quizzes are provided in various formats, including matching, true-or-false, short-answer, and multiple-choice with immediate feedback on correct and incorrect answers.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.