Request for consultation
LAUNCHING NEW VENTURES, 7e provides tomorrow's entrepreneurs with the tools to launch a successful new business in a global marketplace. The text follows the logical development process: from initial idea, to developing and testing a business model, to designing a business and preparing for growth. The seventh edition represents the most current thoughts, ideas, and practices in the field of entrepreneurship. Allen focuses on the pre-startup and startup stages of a new business, with special emphasis on the process and activities that must take place prior to opening a new business. The student-friendly material includes real-world case studies, new venture action plans, and advice from successful entrepreneurs and the author herself. Part One introduces the foundations of entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial opportunity that are important to understanding the decisions that entrepreneurs make, the environment in which they make those decisions, and the tasks they must undertake before launching a new company. Part Two addresses the heart of entrepreneurial activity -- the development and testing of a new business model through feasibility analysis. Part Three focuses on the planning that goes into designing an effective, scalable startup organization. Part Four looks at planning for growth and change in the new organization.
- Infographics at the start of each part graphically highlight key elements of that part.
- New or updated topics include: current entrepreneurial trends -- digital anonymity, domestic manufacturing, big data, and the lean startup movement -- understanding the business model, the role of entrepreneurship in the economy, paths to entrepreneurship, creativity and inspiration, and more.
- New and updated Case Studies provide current and engaging real-world examples.
- Examples and data have been updated throughout, providing the most current, relevant information.
- Support website provides updated supplements, including Instructor's Manual, PowerPoint Slides, Test Bank, and student-support materials.
- Questions on Key Issues at the end of each chapter provoke interesting discussions.
- Experiencing Entrepreneurship is a series of activities at the end of each chapter that give readers a chance to learn about entrepreneurship by getting involved in entrepreneurial activities and interacting with entrepreneurs and others in an industry of special interest to the reader.
- Relevant case studies (many new or updated) reflect a wide variety of businesses and types of entrepreneurs. Most cases are followed by discussion questions.
- Entrepreneur Profiles that begin each chapter provide real-life examples to illustrate the application of chapter concepts and to inspire readers. Smaller-scale examples are also scattered throughout the chapters to maintain the real-life tone of the book.
- Global Insights and Social Entrepreneurship: Making Meaning boxed inserts highlight additional examples, companies, and organizations that have taken a global or a socially responsible approach to entrepreneurship.
- The New Venture Action Plan serves as a reminder of the tasks that need to be completed at particular stages of the entrepreneurial process.
1. Understanding Entrepreneurship.
2. Preparing for the Entrepreneurial Journey.
3. Creating Opportunity.
Part II: FEASIBILITY ANALYSIS.
4. Analyzing the Industry and Market.
5. Developing and Testing a Business Model.
6. Prototyping a Solution.
7. Protecting the Startup's Assets.
8. Calculating Startup Capital Requirements.
9. Building the Founding Team.
Part III: BUSINESS DESIGN.
10. Preparing a Business Plan.
11. Designing an Entrepreneurial Organization.
12. Choosing the Legal Form of Organization.
13. Developing the Startup Marketing Plan.
14. Creating a Startup Funding Strategy.
15. Incorporating Ethics and Social Responsibility Into the Business.
Part IV: PLANNING FOR GROWTH AND CHANGE.
16. Planning for Growth and Change.
17. Funding Growth.
"I would describe it as a very valuable book that addresses the skill sets necessary for students to begin thinking in ways that are more creative and productive... and can lead them to successful careers that they otherwise would have never realized."
"This book is worth looking at. It has a well-organized structure with an easy-to-follow style and layout. The content is current with good teaching resources."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
CourseMate with LivePlan Instant Access
This new and unique online website makes course concepts come alive with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools supporting the printed text. CourseMate delivers what students need, including an interactive eBook, dynamic flashcards, interactive quizzes and video exercises, student PowerPoint® slides, and games that test knowledge in a fun way. Engagement Tracker, first-of-its-kind tool, monitors individual or group student engagement, progress, and comprehension in your course. Interactive video exercises allow students to relate the real-world events and issues shown in the chapter videos to specific in-text concepts. Interactive quizzes reinforce the text with rejoinders that refer back to the section of the chapter where the concepts are discussed.
CourseMate with LivePlan Instant Access
This new and unique online website makes course concepts come alive with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools supporting the printed text. CourseMate delivers what you need, including an interactive e-Book, dynamic flashcards, interactive quizzes and video exercises, student PowerPoint® slides, and games that test knowledge in a fun way.