Request for consultation
Organized around the central theme of homeostasis, HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY, 9e, helps students appreciate the integrated functioning of the human body. Author Lauralee Sherwood uses clear, straightforward language, analogies, and frequent references to everyday experiences to help students learn and relate to physiology concepts. The vibrant art program and empowering digital resources—including robust 3D animations and rich homework problems—enable students to visualize important concepts and processes. By focusing on core principles and sharing her enthusiasm for the subject matter, Sherwood helps students develop a solid foundation for future courses and careers in the health professions.
- UP-TO-DATE COVERAGE: Updated coverage throughout includes information based on recent discoveries. Some controversial ideas and hypotheses are presented to illustrate that physiology is a dynamic, changing discipline.
- NEW FIGURE-FOCUS QUESTIONS: Designed to check and promote comprehension, these questions ask students to analyze, interpret, infer, and apply the content of 120 key figures.
- New MindTap Digital Learning Platform: MindTap combines student learning tools, including readings, multimedia, activities, and assessments, into a singular Learning Path that guides students through the course. Instructors personalize the experience by customizing authoritative Cengage Learning content and learning tools and adding their own content to the Learning Path. Also includes Aplia for Human Physiology, a comprehensive online homework solution that helps students learn and understand key concepts through focused assignments, and exceptional text/art integration, and immediate feedback.
- A NEW BLOOMS-BASED ORGANIZATION FOR END-OF-CHAPTER REVIEW EXERCISES: Students progress from a basic review of key terms and concepts, through quantitative exercises, to a case study that challenges them to apply their knowledge to a patient's specific symptoms, and finally to "Thinking at a Higher Level" questions that encourage them to analyze what they have learned.
- HOMEOSTASIS THEME: The central theme of homeostasis helps students understand the relationship among the body systems. Each chapter begins with "Homeostasis Highlights" and ends with "Homeostasis: Chapter in Perspective," both of which help students to see how a particular system contributes to the body as a whole.
- PEDAGOGICAL ART: Widespread use of integrated descriptions within figures, including numerous process-oriented figures with step-by-step descriptions, allows visually oriented students to review processes through figures. New figure-focus questions, designed to check and promote comprehension, ask students to analyze, interpret, infer, and apply the content of 120 key figures.
- RELEVANCY: "Concepts, Challenges, and Controversies" boxes expose students to high-interest and relevant information on such diverse topics as environmental impact on the body, stem cell research, acupuncture, strokes, and more. "A Closer Look at Exercise Physiology" boxes increase awareness of the importance of physical fitness and show physiological impacts of exercise.
- TOPIC SUPPORT: "Check Your Understanding" questions appear after each major section to help students review the main ideas just discussed. Also, at the end of each chapter, "Review Exercises" feature a Blooms-based organization, allowing students to progress from a basic review of key terms and concepts, through quantitative exercises, to a case study that challenges them to apply their knowledge to a patient's specific symptoms, and finally to "Thinking at a Higher Level" questions that encourage them to analyze what they have learned.
- STUDY CARDS: Tear-out study cards for each chapter contain concept summaries and key figures and allow students to study anywhere at any time. The study cards present the major points of each chapter in concise, section-by-section bulleted lists, including cross-references for page numbers, figures, and tables.
2. Cell Physiology.
3. The Plasma Membrane and Membrane Potential.
4. Principles of Neural and Hormonal Communication.
5. The Central Nervous System.
6. The Peripheral Nervous System: Afferent Division; Special Senses.
7. The Peripheral Nervous System: Efferent Division.
8. Muscle Physiology.
9. Cardiac Physiology.
10. The Blood Vessels and Blood Pressure.
11. The Blood.
12. Body Defenses.
13. The Respiratory System.
14. The Urinary System.
15. Fluid and Acid–Base Balance.
16. The Digestive System.
17. Energy Balance and Temperature Regulation.
18. Principles of Endocrinology; The Central Endocrine Glands.
19. The Peripheral Endocrine Glands.
20. The Reproductive System.
Appendix: A Review of Chemical Principles.
Appendix: Text References to Exercise Physiology.
Appendix: Answers to Check Your Understanding, End-of-Chapter Objective Questions, Quantitative Exercises, Points to Ponder, and Clinical Considerations.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Featuring key pieces of art from the text, this coloring book allows you to engage with the material in a hands-on way. Integrated areas ask you to explain the processes attached to the figures in your own words to improve your retention of key concepts.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.