Request for consultation
Comprehensive, technically accurate, and up-to-date, HEAVY DUTY TRUCK SYSTEMS, 6E is the best-selling introduction to servicing medium- and heavy-duty trucks. Now in striking full color, the sixth edition helps users develop a strong foundation in electricity and electronics, power train, steering and suspension, brakes, and accessories systems and presents introductory material on servicing, safety, tools, and preventive maintenance. This edition is updated with full coverage of NATEF competencies and the latest technology, including 2014 J1939 updates and access tools, Wingman radar, CMS, and Allison TC10 transmissions (introduced in 2013). The book's proven pedagogy is enhanced by extensive sets of review questions; over 1700 full-color photographs and pieces of art that help readers visualize key concepts and servicing procedures; and an accompanying workbook by the author that provides additional review material, Internet research exercises, and NATEF task-oriented job sheets.
- Expanded coverage of hydraulics, oxyacetylene, and electric welding safety; fastener identification; emerging trends in trucking heading for EPA 2017 load efficiency/CO2 dump requirements; and CSA 2010.
- Updated electricity and electronics chapters, including J1939 electronics (2014 access including J1962), and new content on Wingman radar, collision mitigation systems (CMS), new electronic service tools (ESTs), ultracapacitors, and battery information management systems.
- Introduction to Delco Remy 33/40 alternator diagnostics and reconditioning, smart ignition switches, internal mag solenoid switches (IMSS), overcrank protection, and highway grid hotel loads for trucks and trailers.
- Updated chapters on clutches (DM centrifugal and AW wet) and transmissions, including hybrid transmissions, as well as detailed coverage of the Allison TC10 for Class 8 trucks.
- Revision of tires and wheel end chapters, including new balancing methods; expanded coverage of air disc brakes; and a significantly revised chapter on hydraulic/hydraulic power-boost brakes.
- New generation trailers (load efficiency), pintle and ball hooks, and a revised HVAC chapter that includes hermitic seal and vane compressors.
- Full color throughout.
- Focuses on prognostic maintenance, reflecting current trucking industry practices.
- Covers the latest battery technology, changes in electronic service tools, collision avoidance technologies, and service information systems (SISs).
- Provides an introduction to Eaton DM clutches and comprehensive coverage of Caterpillar's new highway vocational transmissions (CX family).
- Includes reefer cryogenics and BlueCool-type heat exchanges.
- Features the most comprehensive glossary of any other trucking book on the market.
- Provides an unparalleled suite of instructor and student resources, including a comprehensive test bank, PowerPoint® slides for every chapter, 58 new videos that cover basic service procedures (via MindTap™), a Student Workbook, and more.
- Includes standard-to-metric values (metric in brackets) throughout except CVSA and FMVSS compliance specs.
2. Shop Safety and Operations.
3. Tools and Fasteners.
5. Fundamentals of Electricity.
6. Fundamentals of Electronics and Computers.
8. Charging Systems.
9. Cranking Systems.
10. Chassis Electrical Circuits.
11. Diagnosis and Repair of Electronic Circuits.
13. Hydraulics Fundamentals.
15. Standard Transmissions.
16. Standard Transmission Servicing.
17. Torque Converters.
18. Automatic Transmissions.
19. Automatic Transmission Maintenance.
20. Automated Manual Transmissions (AMTs) and Hybrids.
21. Electronically Controlled Automatic Transmissions (ECATs).
22. Driveshaft Assemblies.
23. Heavy-Duty Truck Axles.
24. Heavy-Duty Truck Axle Service and Repair.
25. Steering and Alignment.
26. Suspension Systems.
27. Wheels and Tires.
28. Truck Brake Systems.
29. Hydraulic and Air-over-Hydraulic Braking Systems.
30. ABS and EBS Braking Systems.
31. Air Brake Servicing.
32. Vehicle Chassis Frame.
33. Heavy Duty Truck Trailers.
34. Fifth Wheels and Coupling Systems.
35. Heavy-Duty HVAC systems.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
The Instructor Companion Website includes PowerPoint® presentations for each core textbook chapter, a computerized test bank, an Instructor's Manual, and other text-specific resources. To access the Instructor Companion Website, please visit www.cengage.com/sso.
The Instructor Resources CD includes PowerPoint® presentations for each core textbook chapter, a computerized test bank, an Instructor's Manual, and other text-specific resources.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want. Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero works on any operating system or browser. No special installs or downloads are needed. You can create tests from school, home, the coffee shop-anywhere with Internet access. What will you find? Simplicity at every step. A desktop-inspired interface features drop-down menus and familiar, intuitive tools that take you through content creation and management with ease. A full-featured test generator lets you create ideal assessments with your choice of 15 question types (including true/false, multiple choice, opinion scale/likert, and essay). Multilanguage support, an equation editor, and unlimited metadata help ensure that your tests are complete and compliant. With cross-compatible capability, you can import and export content into other systems.
This practical workbook helps users retain key chapter content. Included in this resource are chapter objectives, practice questions, Job Sheets keyed to NATEF tasks, and online tasks.
Master the key content in HEAVY DUTY TRUCK SYSTEMS, 6E with this practical workbook, which contains chapter objectives, practice questions, Job Sheets keyed to NATEF tasks, and online tasks.