Request for consultation
COMPREHENSIVE MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY, Fifth Edition, offers an engaging, effective introduction to medical terminology to prepare students for career success in nursing, medical assisting, and other allied health professions. Organized by body system and specialty areas of practice, this comprehensive, highly practical text emphasizes anatomy and physiology, pathological conditions, diagnostic techniques, and procedures to provide useful real-world context. The study of word parts is integrated into every chapter to enhance comprehension, and definitions progress from simple to complex to steadily strengthen students' ability to read and interpret medical terms in reports and charts. A new Learning Lab online homework solution helps students master key concepts through interactive simulations based on real-world scenarios.
- The Fifth Edition features a new, text-specific Learning Lab—an online homework solution to help students master essential chapter concepts through interactive exercises that simulate real-world scenarios, enabling students to increase comprehension and retention while honing critical thinking skills.
- New line art and photos in most chapters enhances learning terms related to anatomical structures, pathological conditions and diagnostic procedures.
- Feature Walk-Throughs now accompany special learning features the first time they appear in the text, providing step-by-step explanations of what information is covered, how each "learning tool" works, and the best ways to use them to maximize learning.
- The student workbook now features expanded activities for every chapter, and Review Checkpoints follow major chapter sections to direct students to complete relevant workbook exercises to assess mastery of word building; anatomy and physiology; medical vocabulary; pathological conditions; diagnostic techniques, treatments, and procedures; and common abbreviations.
- Major chapter updates include new terminology and expanded discussions based on recent developments relevant to today's professionals; highlights include new material on eye disorders, autism, complications of pregnancy, and radiographic procedures, as well as current American Cancer Society guidelines and DSM-5 standards.
- The text includes medical scenarios that encourage students to synthesize information on pathological conditions and apply their knowledge to situations a health care practitioner might encounter in real-world clinical practice.
- Word parts and their definitions are reinforced throughout the text to reinforce learning the terms and recognition of unfamiliar terms.
- A student workbook, illustrated flashcards, and mobile downloads are available to enhance teaching and learning, offering a variety of options for effective course support.
- An opening chapter dedicated to word building rules guides students through the process of combining root words, prefixes, and suffixes to form medical terms, providing an invaluable foundation for success in the classroom and beyond.
- A student companion website includes animations and PowerPoint presentations to help students build knowledge of key concepts.
- End-of-chapter exercises provide an in-depth, hands-on review of important material, while "Do This" and "Say It" segments engage students actively in the learning process.
4. Whole Body Terms.
5. The Integumentary System.
6. The Skeletal System.
7. Muscles and Joints.
8. The Nervous System.
9. The Blood and Lymphatic Systems.
10. The Cardiovascular System.
11. The Respiratory System.
12. The Digestive System.
13. The Endocrine System.
14. The Special Senses.
15. The Urinary System.
16. The Male Reproductive System.
17. The Female Reproductive System.
19. Child Health.
20. Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging.
21. Oncology (Cancer Medicine).
23. Mental Health.
"The Jones textbook highlights the medical term and basic definition in green, which allows students to quickly identify the information that ma tch my current course objectives."
"I like the organization of the lists, the way the most common terms are segregated by the type of word or element, and the variety in the chapter review."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want. Start right away! Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero works on any operating system or browser. No special installs or downloads needed. Create tests from school, home, the coffee shop—anywhere with Internet access. What will you find? Simplicity at every step. A desktop-inspired interface features drop-down menus and familiar, intuitive tools that take you through content creation and management with ease. Full-featured test generator. Create ideal assessments with your choice of 15 question types (including true/false, multiple choice, opinion scale/likert, and essay). Multi-language support, an equation editor and unlimited metadata help ensure your tests are complete and compliant. Cross-compatible capability. Import and export content into other systems.
The student workbook now features expanded activities for every chapter, and Review Checkpoints follow major chapter sections to direct students to complete relevant workbook exercises to assess mastery of word building; anatomy and physiology; medical vocabulary; pathological conditions; diagnostic techniques, treatments, and procedures; and common abbreviations. Question types include chapter objective questions; key-term definition queries; and multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-or-false problems.
Student Companion Website
This website provides a variety of resources to help students review for class, including chapter outlines, glossaries, flashcards, and learning objectives.
The student workbook now features expanded activities for every chapter, and Review Checkpoints follow major chapter sections to direct students to complete relevant workbook exercises to assess mastery of word building; anatomy and physiology; medical vocabulary; pathological conditions; diagnostic techniques, treatments, and procedures; and common abbreviations.