Request for consultation
Written by leading scholar Julia Wood, COMMUNICATION MOSAICS: AN INTRODUCTION TO THE FIELD OF COMMUNICATION, 8E draws from the latest research and practices to equip students with a foundational survey while helping them build effective skills. Retaining the author's signature first-person narrative style and holistic approach, the text explains the basic processes central to all communication contexts—listening, perceiving, using verbal and nonverbal communication, and establishing climate. Then these processes are applied to various contexts such as interpersonal, small group, public, organizational, intercultural, mass communication, personal, and social media. Each chapter includes a section devoted to digital communication and social media. Chapters end with a case study enabling students to put what they learn into real-world practice. In addition, Chapter 13 walks students step-by-step through the process of planning and preparing a public speech.
- The eighth edition features a robust integration between the print text and MindTap™.
- Every chapter includes a section devoted to digital communication and social media, giving students unparalleled insight into the dynamics of these continually expanding areas.
- Reflecting the latest developments from the field, the research base for the book is enriched with 200 new references.
- Engaging new discussions include communication's relevance to such timely topics as balancing work and life, face-to-face and online bullying, and addiction to social media.
- Offering more in-depth insight and prompting lively classroom discussion, new critical thinking questions have been added to selected photo captions and feature boxes in chapters, while author responses are available in the online resources for the book.
- Offering a wealth of resources, the text's Premium Website features a variety of online tools mapped to key communication learning concepts and chapter learning lists. Popular with instructors and students alike, the site includes an enhanced eBook, audio study tools, chapter downloads, interactive video activities, self-assessments, and other web resources.
- Each chapter opens with learning objectives as well as includes in-text engagement features, skill building exercises, and reflection questions to help students optimize their study time and course success.
- Throughout the book, the author explicitly links communication concepts to active involvement with the world beyond the classroom. Wherever possible, the text cites current research, provides engaging examples, and directs students to URLs and blogs about relevant civic engagement, work settings, and social contexts.
- The author explores the uses, impact, and roles of technology—detailing social media throughout the text to illustrate the pervasive nature of technology today, while a variety of hands-on activities show students how to work critically and meaningfully with these technologies to maximize their careers and personal success.
- COMMUNICATION MOSAICS encourages students to apply communication theories, research, and skills to real-world practice. Self-tests and brief activities found in each chapter's TAKE ACTION section and the "Guidelines" sections in Parts II and III help students develop and sharpen their communication skills, while "Engage!" boxes introduce them to a range of technology, diversity, and professional issues.
Part I: COMMUNICATION CAREERS AND FOUNDATIONS.
1. A First Look at Communication.
2. The Field of Communication from Historical and Contemporary Perspectives.
Part II: COMMUNICATION PROCESSES AND SKILLS.
3. Perceiving and Understanding.
4. Engaging in Verbal Communication.
5. Engaging in Nonverbal Communication.
6. Listening and Responding to Others.
7. Creating Communication Climates.
8. Adapting Communication to Cultures and Social Communities.
Part III: CONTEXTS OF COMMUNICATION.
9. Communication and Personal Identity.
10. Communication in Personal Relationships.
11. Communication in Groups and Teams.
12. Communication in Organizations.
13. Public Communication.
14. Mass Communication.
15. Digital Media and the Online World.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site with Instructor's Manual
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.