Request for consultation
Packed with 2013 and 2014 cases, FUNDAMENTALS OF BUSINESS LAW TODAY: SUMMARIZED CASES, 10e focuses on the core business law topics students need to know, including contracts and sales, in a concise paperback. Summarized cases integrated throughout the text illustrate key points of law without overwhelming students with unnecessary detail. Intended for the one-term course focused primarily on contracts and sales, the text condenses the latest legal topics--including cyberlaw, health-care, financial reform, and more--for quick comprehension. The Tenth Edition devotes an entire chapter to Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy, while all-new features like Debate This, Spotlight Cases, and Spotlight Case Problems give students ample opportunity to apply what they learn to real-world business issues. Current, abbreviated, and affordable, FUNDAMENTALS OF BUSINESS LAW TODAY: SUMMARIZED CASES, 10e provides an easy-to-understand alternative to traditional Business Law texts.
- NEW! Completely revised and up to date, FUNDAMENTALS OF BUSINESS LAW TODAY: SUMMARIZED CASES, 10e features new 2013 and 2014 cases in almost every chapter as well as new 2013 and 2014 case problems.
- NEW! An all-new Chapter 6 is devoted to Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy, highlighting the latest trends, issues, practices, and potential concerns.
- REVISED! The Mortgages and Foreclosures chapter has been deleted, with relevant information now incorporated into Ch. 20 Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy.
- NEW! All-new "Spotlight Cases" and "Spotlight Case Problems" Certain cases and case problems have been carefully chosen to spotlight as good teaching cases. Instructors will find these spotlight cases useful to illustrate the legal concepts under discussion, and students will enjoy studying these cases because they involve interesting and memorable facts.
- NEW! An all-new "Debate This" feature gives students an opportunity to analyze and discuss the most pressing business law issues of today.
- Applied Focus: Give students a glimpse of the world outside the classroom with "Management Perspectives" that demonstrate practical uses for their lessons. "What the Courts Say" and "Implications for Managers" sections also highlight the court's impact on businesses and offer practical guidance for future professionals.
- Critical Thinking Elements: Each chapter includes critical thinking questions in the "What if the Facts Were Different?" and "For Critical Analysis" features, giving students the opportunity to sharpen their analytical skills.
- Hypothetical Scenario Reviews: These chapter-ending reviews give students practice identifying legal issues and applying concepts from the readings. Sample answers given in the text provide extra help with critical thinking by demonstrating ways to work through the problem-solving process.
- Legal Reasoning Emphasis: Designed to deepen legal reasoning skills, "Unit Case Study with Dissenting Opinion" features present excerpts from the court's majority and dissenting opinions--and ask students to weigh in.
- Ethics Integration: Open the classroom floor for intriguing discussions about professional liabilities and social responsibilities with the text's in-depth coverage of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. Each chapter also poses "Questions of Ethics and Social Responsibility" to students, leading them to analyze the latest ethical dilemmas faced by well-known businesses.
1. The Legal and Constitutional Environment of Business.
Appendix to Chapter 1: Finding and Analyzing the Law.
2. Courts and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
3. Ethics and Business Decision Making.
Unit One: Business Case Study with Dissenting Opinion.
Unit II: TORTS AND CRIMES.
4. Tort Law.
5. Intellectual Property.
6. Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy.
7. Criminal Law and Cyber Crime.
Unit Two: Business Case Study with Dissenting Opinion.
Unit III: CONTRACTS.
8. Nature and Classification.
9. Agreement in Traditional and E-Contracts.
10. Consideration, Capacity, and Legality.
11. Defenses to Contract Enforceability.
12. Third Party Rights and Discharge.
13. Breach and Remedies.
Unit Three: Business Case Study with Dissenting Opinion.
Unit IV: SALES AND LEASE CONTRACTS.
14. The Formation of Sales and Lease Contracts.
Appendix to Chapter 13: An International Sales Contract.
15. Performance and Breach of Sales and Lease Contracts.
16. Warranties and Product Liability.
Unit Four: Business Case Study with Dissenting Opinion.
Unit V: NEGOTIABLE INSTRUMENTS.
17. Negotiability, Transferability, and Liability.
18. Checks and Banking in the Digital Age.
Unit Five: Business Case Study with Dissenting Opinion.
Unit VI: DEBTOR-CREDITOR RELATIONSHIPS.
19. Secured Transactions.
20. Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy.
Unit Six: Business Case Study with Dissenting Opinion.
Unit VII: EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS.
21. Agency Relationships.
22. Employment Law.
Unit Seven: Business Case Study with Dissenting Opinion.
Unit VIII: BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS.
23. Sole Proprietorships, Partnerships, and Limited Liability Companies.
24. Corporate Formation, Financing, and Termination.
25. Corporate Directors, Officers, and Shareholders.
26. Investor Protection, Insider Trading, and Corporate Governance.
Unit Eight: Business Case Study with Dissenting Opinion.
Unit IX: PROPERTY AND ITS PROTECTION.
27. Personal Property and Bailments.
28. Real Property and Landlord-Tenant Law.
29. Insurance, Wills, and Trusts.
Unit Nine: Business Case Study with Dissenting Opinion.
Unit X: SPECIAL TOPICS.
30. Liability of Accountants and Other Professionals.
31. International Law in a Global Economy.
Unit Ten: Business Case Study with Dissenting Opinion.
Appendix A. How to Brief Cases and Analyze Case Problems.
Appendix B. The Constitution of the United States.
Appendix C. The Uniform Commercial Code (Excerpts).
Appendix D. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act (Excerpts and Explanatory Comments).
Appendix E. Answers to the Issue Spotters.
Appendix F. Answers to Even-Numbered For Review Questions.
Appendix G. Sample Answers for Case Problems with Sample Answer.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Expand students' understanding and streamline class preparation with the numerous instructor and student resources available on this edition's robust companion website. Easily download password-protected instructor resources, including the Solution's Manual, Test Bank, and PowerPoint® slides. Students can review concepts using PowerPoint® slides, online quizzes, and other interactive learning tools.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cognero is a flexible online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.