Request for consultation
This briefer paperback, BUSINESS LAW TODAY, THE ESSENTIALS: TEXT AND SUMMARIZED CASES, 11E, is drawn from Miller’s popular BUSINESS LAW TODAY: STANDARD EDITION. THE ESSENTIALS offers the same strengths that made BUSINESS LAW TODAY so successful. This edition combines the legal credibility and authoritativeness of a traditional business law book with strong visual appeal and student-friendly features. An engaging, high-interest presentation is complemented by the essential detail and information necessary to completely explain law topics. BUSINESS LAW TODAY: THE ESSENTIALS provides a credible business law source that students will be motivated to read. The cornerstone of the book’s widespread success is its ability to appeal to both you, as instructor, and your students. This book explicitly meets the AACSB curriculum requirements. You’ll also find the most comprehensive teaching and learning support package on the market to fit numerous instructional or learning styles.
- NEW MINDTAP® BUSINESS LAW is a personalized teaching experience with relevant assignments that guide students to analyze, apply, and improve thinking, allowing you to measure skills and outcomes with ease. The customizable online course allows you to control what students see and when they see it. Students stay involved with Interactive Cases, Interactive Exhibits, and Videos integrated into the eReader. Relevant Learning Path activities intuitively guide students as they prepare, engage, apply and analyze business law concepts. Analytics provide a snapshot of class progress, engagement and completion rates.
- NEW CHAPTER ADDRESSES INTERNET LAW, SOCIAL MEDIA, AND RELATED PRIVACY ISSUES. This edition explores how online platforms, such as social media, have influenced today’s legal landscape as well as individual privacy issues. This timely content uses an easy-to-understand context and format to demonstrate to your students how ever-changing technological advances in the workplace and business world affect business law.
- MORE THAN 100 NEW NUMBERED CASE EXAMPLES AND NUMBERED EXAMPLES TO CLARIFY LEGAL PRINCIPLES. This edition presents many new numbered cases and examples with most from 2014 and 2015. These meaningful examples apply legal points of law to scenarios students recognize and understand. With the help of these examples, students can visualize how business law principles work in everyday interactions. This approach helps student’s better recall and apply specific legal principles.
- MORE THAN 50 NEW FEATURES APPLY THE LAW TO EVERYDAY CIRCUMSTANCES. Effective learning features, such as "Adapting the Law to the Online Environment" and "Ethical Issues", help students understand how business law specifics apply to everyday scenarios. Students examine engaging topics, such as the commercial use of drones, Google glasses, Facebook Poker, hacking, patent trolls, paying with smartphones, and social media.
- NEW IN-CHAPTER PRESENTATIONS AND END-OF-CHAPTER PRACTICE REINFORCE STRONG LEGAL REASONING SKILLS. New content and end-of-chapter materials ensure students understand both legal reasoning and important business law concepts. New exhibits, numbered lists, marginal definitions, learning objectives, and review features within the chapter keep students focused while reading. New Case Problems, Business Scenario Questions, Case Analysis Questions, and Business Law Critical Thinking Group Assignments take students beyond the book to encourage them to examine law at work in their everyday lives.
- "LINKING THE LAW" CONNECTS THE LAW TO OTHER DISCIPLINES. These special features appear in selected chapters to underscore how the law relates to various other disciplines in the business school curriculum, such as finance, accounting, economics, management, and marketing. Students gain vital, practical information on how the subjects they study are interconnected. These features conclude with a "For Critical Analysis" section to reinforce the text's emphasis on critical-thinking skills.
- CHAPTER REVIEW AND CASE ANALYSIS HELP STUDENTS SOLIDIFY THEIR UNDERSTANDING OF THE CHAPTER. The chapter’s concluding "Reviewing ..." feature and Concept Summaries integrated throughout the book help students grasp some of the book’s more difficult legal topics. Case analysis assignments at the end of selected chapters ask students to brief cases. End-of-chapter assignments are also useful for efficiently assessing student comprehension.
- CASE TREATMENTS EMPHASIZE RELEVANCE OF WHAT STUDENTS ARE LEARNING. Summarized cases facilitate understanding. Each case presents the Facts, Issue, Decision, Reason, and Critical Thinking Questions that are designed to show students why the elements in the case are important to them. Selected cases conclude with "Why Is This Case Important to Business?", which stresses how the legal concept impacts business. Classic Cases stress how the court's decision has helped evolve the law and why it is still relevant. Unit Case Studies with Dissenting Opinion highlight recent court cases related to one of the unit's topics with Questions for Analysis.
- CRITICAL THINKING QUESTIONS REQUIRE STUDENTS TO THINK BEYOND THE BOOK ABOUT A CHAPTER TOPIC. These questions conclude each in-chapter feature. In addition, selected cases with "What If the Facts Were Different?" sections ask students to consider how the decision might be different if the fact pattern changed. End-of-chapter "Business Law Writing" and "Business Law Critical Thinking Group Assignments" also encourage students to extend their learning beyond what they’ve simply read.
- APPLICATIONS ENCOURAGE STUDENTS TO APPLY WHAT THEY’VE READ. "Business Applications" offer practical advice on navigating the legal waters of business and conclude with a checklist on how to avoid legal problems. "Linking Business Law" applies business law to other business disciplines. "Landmark in the Law" explores a landmark case, statute, or other law that has significant impacted business law while an "Application to Today's World" section clarifies why the case is important to business today. "Preventing Legal Disputes" also provide practical guidance on how to avoid legal problems.
- ETHICAL ISSUES AND A GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE ARE INTEGRATED THROUGHOUT. This edition’s Ethical Issues address dilemmas related to the chapter topic. Additionally, an "A Question of Ethics" section at the end of the chapter asks students to look at both the legal and ethical issues in a realistic business situation. To give context to law outside of the United States, "Beyond Our Border" sections cover an array of topics related to international business in more depth.
2. Courts and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
3. Tort Law and Product Liability.
4. Intellectual Property.
5. Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy.
6. Criminal Law and Cyber Crime.
7. Business Ethics.
8. Agreement and Consideration in Contracts.
9. Capacity, Legality, and Enforceability.
10. Contract Performance, Breach, and Remedies.
11. Sales and Lease Contracts.
12. Performance and Breach in Sales and Lease Contracts.
13. Consumer Law.
14. Negotiable Instruments.
15. Banking in the Digital Age.
16. Creditors’ Rights and Bankruptcy.
17. Agency Relationships in Business.
18. Employment Law.
19. The Entrepreneur’s Options.
21. Investor Protection, Insider Trading, and Corporate Governance.
22. Antitrust Law and Promoting Competition.
23. Personal Property, Bailments, and Insurance.
24. Real Property and Environmental Law.
25. International Law in a Global Economy.
A. How to Brief Cases and Analyze Case Problems.
B. The Constitution of the United States.
C. Articles 2 and 2A of the Uniform Commercial Code.
D. Answers to the Issue Spotters.
E. Answers to the Even-Numbered Learning Objectives Check Questions.
F. Sample Answers for Business Case Problems with Sample Answer.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Expand students’ understanding and streamline class preparation with the numerous resources available on this edition’s robust companion website. Easily download password-protected instructor resources, including the Instructor’s Manual, Test Bank, and PowerPoint® slides.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.