Request for consultation
Providing the most current, comprehensive coverage available, CAREER COUNSELING: A HOLISTIC APPROACH, 9th Edition equips students with a solid understanding of the theoretical models of career counseling and practical techniques on how to effectively counsel clients about career issues. Presenting the subject matter in a way that is relevant to all counseling students, Vernon Zunker uses an innovative holistic or “whole person” approach, demonstrating how to consider values, temperament, talents, and passions when integrating career with personal counseling to determine a client's best career fit. The thoroughly revised and updated Ninth Edition of this classic book includes chapters on integrating career and personal counseling, job loss and transitions, adult career development, and career-related programs in middle schools. In addition, diversity issues are integrated throughout, while relevant case studies bring chapter concepts to life. The text is also packed with tools to help students maximize their success in class and on the licensing exam.
- Updated to reflect the latest developments, research, and techniques, this edition includes more research results from positive psychology and an increased focus on resiliency. New case studies have been added in several chapters, and references have been updated throughout.
- Chapter 14 now includes information on how globalization has affected career development.
- Chapter 15 includes new material on the characteristics of effective schools, a new discussion of at-risk children, and an expanded discussion of resiliency that is reinforced with a new table presenting protective factors of resilience.
- Chapter 16 emphasizes the importance of students developing personal strengths and assets in middle school.
- The 9th Edition is also now available in Cengage Learning’s MindTap platform. MindTap engages and empowers students to produce their best work – consistently. By seamlessly integrating course material with videos, activities, apps, and much more, MindTap creates a unique learning path that fosters increased comprehension and efficiency.
- Chapter 1 includes more information about how low wages in other countries has led to job loss for millions of Americans.
- The connection between career development theories and counseling models is highlighted: Theories presented in Chapter 2 can now be matched with career counseling models discussed in Chapter 3 by a number assigned to each career counseling model.
- The multipath model presented in Chapter 4 takes the position that human behavior is driven by biological, psychological, social, and socio-cultural elements.
- A summary of factors that promote feelings of well being in the workplace has been added to Chapter 5, and material on standardized tests has been updated in Chapter 6.
- Chapter 7, “The Impact of New Technology on Work, Career Development, and Learning Platforms,” has been heavily reorganized. It includes examples of new technology that is changing the workplace and how we live as well as discussion of how technology-driven instruction can enhance career development. It also discusses ethical concerns and questions related to the validity of computer-based assessment interpretation.
- Chapter 10 includes new information on gender inequality, while Chapter 11 presents updated material about the LGBT community to illustrate increased support and changes in the LGBT rights movement.
- The ADA Amendment Act of 2008, featuring an expanded definition of disability that allows more individuals to qualify for services, has been added and reviewed in Chapter 12.
- Chapter 13 has been restructured and significantly revised. It now includes an explanation of the connection between globalization and job loss, discussion of the causes of unemployment and underemployment, addition of an example of outplacement counseling in organizations, new information on job openings from 2008 to 2018, and new material on social networking.
- As demonstrated by the text's “A Holistic Approach” subtitle, the thoroughly revised ninth edition of this classic book reflects the growing emphasis on looking at the “whole person”-values, temperament, talents, and passions-to determine his or her best career fit.
- Extremely student friendly, Zunker's text clearly outlines and illustrates counseling models, helping students fully understand the various theories of career counseling and showing them how to effectively use them when dealing with clients. Theories are grouped together into four categories, demonstrating how each group of theories provides the foundation for the practice of career development.
- The text's comprehensive coverage offers career guidance over the life span, including career guidance for school age children, college students, and adults in career transition.
- To make students' study and preparation for the licensing examination easier, the text includes tables that summarize theories of career development and counseling models.
- Thorough diversity coverage includes “Diversity Issues” sections that highlight relevant research throughout the text as well as five chapters dedicated to career counseling for special populations.
- Each chapter includes cases that illustrate chapter concepts in action, an end-of-chapter summary, references, and learning exercises to aid students in understanding and retaining the material.
- Numerous charts, bulleted/numbered lists, dialogues, agency addresses, and lists of competencies and strategies help make the material accessible and practical.
- A companion text, USING ASSESSMENT RESULTS FOR CAREER DEVELOPMENT, Ninth Edition, written by Debra S. Osborn and Vernon Zunker, illustrates how assessment results can increase the self-awareness needed to make rational choices.
- An exercise in the online learning resources, entitled “Do Not Be Crushed By The Career Development Theories,” helps students understand the contributions of various theories.
1. Historical Development and Some Basic Issues.
2. Theories of Career Development.
3. Career Counseling Models.
4. Integrating Career and Personal Counseling.
5. Career Counseling Intake Interview.
6. Using Standardized Tests and Self-Assessment in Career Counseling.
7. The Impact of New Technology on Work, Career Development, and Learning Platforms.
8. On Being an Ethical Career Counselor.
Part II: CAREER COUNSELING FOR SPECIAL POPULATIONS.
9. Career Counseling for Multicultural Groups.
10. Gender Issues and Dual Careers.
11. Career Counseling for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Clients.
12. Career Counseling for individuals with Disabilities.
Part III: CAREER TRANSITIONS AND ADULT DEVELOPMENT CONCERNS.
13. Job Loss and Transitions.
14. Career Development and Transitions of Working Adults.
Part IV: CAREER COUNSELING IN EDUCATIONAL SETTINGS.
15. Career-Related Programs for Career Development in Elementary Schools.
16. Career- Related Programs for Career Development in Middle School.
17. Career-Related Programs for Career Development in High School and Beyond.
“I find this product is one of the strongest on the market that is more inclusive of the whole lifespan and includes the holistic considerations. The traditional separation of career counseling and personal counseling is bridged in this text. This is an excellent move to unite the counseling profession, and to demonstrate that the two cannot be separated.”
“This is a very comprehensive, thorough, and inclusive reference text within the field of career development and career counseling. The author provides in-depth, contextual information related to serving special populations, including female and male clients, clients with disabilities, racial/ethnic minority clients, and clients within a variety of age groups.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Online Instructor's Manual
The Instructor's Manual (IM) contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It presents chapter-by-chapter suggestions and resources to enhance and facilitate learning.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content as well as create multiple test versions in an instant. You can deliver tests from your school's learning management system, your classroom, or wherever you want.