Request for consultation
CALCULUS I WITH PRECALCULUS, developed for one-year courses, is ideal for instructors who wish to successfully bring students up to speed algebraically within precalculus and transition them into calculus. The Larson Calculus program has a long history of innovation in the calculus market. It has been widely praised by a generation of students and professors for its solid and effective pedagogy that addresses the needs of a broad range of teaching and learning styles and environments. Each title is just one component in a comprehensive calculus course program that carefully integrates and coordinates print, media, and technology products for successful teaching and learning. Two primary objectives guided the authors in writing this book: to develop precise, readable materials for students that clearly define and demonstrate concepts and rules of calculus and to design comprehensive teaching resources for instructors that employ proven pedagogical techniques and saves the instructor time.
- Table of Contents Update: Chapter 14 has been omitted.
- NEW! Chapter Summary gives a concise review of key terms and concepts covered in each chapter.
- NEW! Chapter Tests have been added to each chapter and are one page assessments of problems covering key topics.
- NEW! Explorations, an optional discovery feature, help students develop intuitive understanding of calculus concepts. These can be deleted without loss of continuity.
- UPDATED! Appropriate exercises will be labeled as Writing About the Concepts.
- NEW! CalcChat.com reference has been added to text exercise sets.
- The explanations, theorems, and definitions have been thoroughly and critically reviewed. Exercise sets have been carefully and extensively examined to ensure they cover calculus and precalculus topics appropriately.
- Questions involving skills, writing, critical thinking, problem-solving, applications, and real-data applications are included throughout the text. Exercises are presented in a variety of question formats, including matching, free response, true/false, modeling, and fill-in the blank.
- To address the changing needs of today's instructors and students and recognizing that the calculus course is presented in a variety of teaching and learning environments, the program resources are available in print and online formats.
Solving Equations. Solving Inequalities. Graphical Representation of Data. Graphs of Equations. Linear Equations in Two Variables.
1. FUNCTIONS AND THEIR GRAPHS.
Functions. Analyzing Graphs of Functions. Transformations of Functions. Combinations of Functions: Composite Functions. Inverse Functions. Mathematical Modeling and Variation.
2. POLYNOMIAL AND RATIONAL FUNCTIONS.
Quadratic Functions and Models. Polynomial Functions of Higher Degree. Polynomial and Synthetic Division. Complex Numbers. The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Rational Functions.
3. LIMITS AND THEIR PROPERTIES.
A Preview of Calculus. Finding Limits Graphically and Numerically. Evaluating Limits Analytically. Continuity and One-Sided Limits. Infinite Limits.
The Derivative and the Tangent Line Problem. Basic Differentiation Rules and Rates of Change. Product and Quotient Rules and Higher-Order Derivatives. The Chain Rule. Implicit Differentiation. Related Rates.
5. APPLICATIONS OF DIFFERENTIATION.
Extrema on an Interval. Rolle''s Theorem and the Mean Value Theorem. Increasing and Decreasing Functions and the First Derivative Test. Concavity and the Second Derivative Test. Limits at Infinity. A Summary of Curve Sketching. Optimization Problems. Differentials.
Antiderivatives and Indefinite Integration. Area. Riemann Sums and Definite Integrals. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Integration by Substitution. Applications of Integration.
7. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions and Their Graphs. Logarithmic Functions and Their Graphs. Using Properties of Logarithms. Exponential and Logarithmic Equations. Exponential and Logarithmic Models.
8. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS AND CALCULUS.
Exponential Functions: Differentiation and Integration. Logarithmic Functions and Differentiation. Logarithmic Functions and Integration. Differential Equations: Growth and Decay.
9. TRIGONOMETRIC FUNCTIONS.
Radian and Degree Measure. Trigonometric Functions: The Unit Circle. Right Triangle Trigonometry. Trigonometric Functions of Any Angle. Graphs of Sine and Cosine Functions. Graphs of Other Trigonometric Functions. Inverse Trigonometric Functions. Applications and Models.
10. ANALYTIC TRIGONOMETRY.
Using Fundamental Identities. Verifying Trigonometric Identities. Solving Trigonometric Equations. Sum and Difference Formulas. Multiple-Angle and Product-Sum Formulas.
11. TRIGONOMETRIC FUNCTIONS AND CALCULUS.
Limits of Trigonometric Functions. Trigonometric Functions: Differentiation. Trigonometric Functions: Integration. Inverse Trigonometric Functions: Differentiation. Inverse Trigonometric Functions: Integration. Hyperbolic Functions.
12. TOPICS IN ANALYTIC GEOMETRY.
Introduction to Conics: Parabolas. Ellipses and Implicit Differentiation. Hyperbolas and Implicit Differentiation. Parametric Equations and Calculus. Polar Coordinates and Calculus. Graphs of Polar Coordinates. Polar Equations of Conics.
13. ADDITIONAL TOPICS IN TRIGONOMETRY.
Law of Sines. Law of Cosines. Vectors in the Plane. Vectors and Dot Products. Trigonometric Form of a Complex Number.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Calculus I with Precalculus, 3rd: Instructor's Complete Solutions Manual
This manual includes worked out solutions to every exercise in Calculus I with Precalculus, 3e.
Calculus I with Precalculus, 3rd: PowerLecture CD-ROM with ExamView Test Generator
This CD-ROM provides the instructor with dynamic media tools for teaching. Create, deliver, and customize tests (both print and online) in minutes with ExamView® Computerized Testing Featuring Algorithmic Equations. Easily build solution sets for homework or exams using Solution Builder's online solutions manual. Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides and figures from the book are also included on this CD-ROM.
Student Solutions Manual
This manual includes worked out solutions to every odd-numbered exercise in Calculus I with Precalculus, 3e.
Student Solutions Manual