Request for consultation
The respected and recognized best seller in the market, Jerry Burger's PERSONALITY is a solid mid-level book that fuses the best of theory-based and research-based instruction to give students an illuminating introduction to the subject. Burger pairs "theory, application, and assessment" chapters with chapters that describe the research programs aligned with every major theoretical approach. Biographical sketches of theorists and accounts of the stories behind influential research programs help students understand how classic and contemporary findings relate to each other, and reinforce the idea that theory and research perpetuate one another. In-book self-assessments promote students' interaction with the material.
- More than 300 references have been added to this edition. Expanded topics that have generated an increasing amount of research in recent years include the behavioral activation and behavioral inhibition systems (Chapter 9), unmitigated agency (Chapter 14), and programs to reduce aggression in children (Chapter 16).
- Chapter 7, "The Trait Approach: Theory, Application, and Assessment," includes an expanded discussion of recent attempts to replace the Big Five model.
- A new Appendix called "Your Personality" gives students a big picture view by providing an easy way to record and combine all of the results of the "Assessing Your Own Personality" features throughout the book. It also offers information on interpreting the scores.
- New and updated topics in the "In the News" boxes include loneliness as a public health issue (Chapter 12) and changes in the kinds of toys marketed to girls and boys (Chapter 14).
- All of the figures have been updated with a fresh new look.
- "In the News" boxes engage students with current, relevant examples that show how concepts in the text apply to daily life.
- An integrated approach pairs "theory, application, and assessment" chapters with companion chapters on relevant research for each theoretical perspective. The structure of the book is designed to demonstrate how the classic theories drive research and that the relevant research findings often shape the development and acceptance of new theories.
- The text offers an excellent overview of all major theories of personality as well as current research topics.
- "Assessing Your Own Personality" exercises let students actively experience personality tests and learn how assessment works. Students will find numerous personality tests to take and score themselves, thereby gaining hands-on experience with chapter content. For instance, a personality scale in Chapter 14, "The Behavioral/Social Learning Approach: Relevant Research," allows students to assess their own level of unmitigated communion.
- Application sections in the theory chapters show how each theory can be applied to such everyday problems as job satisfaction or therapy.
2. Personality Research Methods.
3. The Psychoanalytic Approach: Freudian Theory, Application, and Assessment.
4. The Freudian Approach: Relevant Research.
5. The Psychoanalytic Approach: Neo-Freudian Theory, Application, and Assessment.
6. The Neo-Freudian Theories: Relevant Research.
7. The Trait Approach: Theory, Application, and Assessment.
8. The Trait Approach: Relevant Research.
9. The Biological Approach: Theory, Application, and Assessment.
10. The Biological Approach: Relevant Research.
11. The Humanistic Approach: Theory, Application, and Assessment.
12. The Humanistic Approach: Relevant Research.
13. The Behavioral/Social Learning Approach: Theory, Application, and Assessment.
14. The Behavioral/Social Learning Approach: Relevant Research.
15. The Cognitive Approach: Theory, Application, and Assessment.
16. The Cognitive Approach: Relevant Research.
Appendix: Your Personality.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank