Cengage Privacy Overview
Simply put, your privacy is our priority.
We know you use Cengage products and services to learn—to build the knowledge, skills and confidence you need to succeed. You can trust that Cengage will always handle your personal information respectfully and responsibly so that you can interact with us in confidence.
All Cengage companies are bound by our Global Privacy Program, which protects the personal information we receive from you as well as information we receive from schools and other third parties. It protects information collected online as well as offline. It reflects our Core Privacy Principles.
Our Core Customer Privacy Principles
1. We want you to know how we handle your personal information.
We are committed to being transparent with you about how we handle your personal information. Our Complete Privacy Notice explains how and why we collect, use and disclose your information. You can always contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any other questions.
2. We are committed to improving learning experiences while protecting privacy.
We only use personal information as needed to achieve specific educational and business goals. We use your data in ways that we believe will enhance your learning experience and improve your outcomes. For example, we use your information to help personalize the Cengage digital learning platforms you use, making your study time more efficient and effective. When we use your usage data to help improve our learning products and services to better serve all students, we do so in a way that is aggregated and anonymized.
3. We will never sell your data.
We never sell marketing lists. We only share personal information with third parties if we are required to do so by law or for the following reasons:
- We may share your information with service providers, who are prohibited from using your information for their own purposes.
- We may share your information with your school. For example, your instructors have access to all of the information generated by your use of the products you use for class. We may also provide information to your school as needed to investigate possible academic fraud or cheating.
- We may share your information with other companies, with your consent. If you interact with other companies through our platforms, you may authorize us to share data with these companies. For example, you may request that Cengage share information about the courses you’ve taken with partners to enable the partner to provide you with resume creation, skills assessment or other services. We only share your data with these companies if you explicitly tell us to.
4. We respect your choices about how we use your information.
We respect your rights to opt out of our communications. There are times when we might have suggestions for products, services and other offers—from us or from a trusted partner—that we believe will improve your learning experience and/or outcomes. You can always opt out of getting such communications from us by unsubscribing from the email directly or by contacting our Customer Service department by email to: email@example.com or phone at +1 800.354.9706 (M - F, 8:00 am - 6:00 pm ET).
5. We are committed to protecting the privacy of schoolchildren.
The personal information we process about K-12 students belongs to the schools we service. We do not use any identifiable K-12 student data for our purposes. We also do not allow any children under the age of 16 to register with Cengage directly. We encourage parents and teachers to spend time online with children and to monitor their online activities.
6. We are committed to keeping your information secure.
We take the security of your personal information seriously and understand that your trust depends on our protecting it. We are committed to protecting your information against unauthorized access or loss.
Additional Privacy Program Information
Cengage is committed to protecting children’s privacy. This means:
- We do not allow any children under 16 to register with Cengage, and we do not knowingly collect or use any personal information pertaining to children under 16 for our own purposes. If you believe that an underage child has provided personal information to us, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may delete the information and take other appropriate steps.
- We provide products and solutions to educational institutions that require us to process K-12 student information. We only collect and process information pertaining to these children as a processor for the educational institutions. We do not use any of this student information for our own purposes. We comply with all applicable laws related to student data processing, including the Family and Educational Rights Privacy Act (FERPA), the Children’s Online Protection Act, and U.S. state student privacy laws.
Cengage is providing this supplemental privacy notice to give individuals in the European Economic Area (EEA) the additional information required by the EU General Data Protection Regulation. These provisions, together with the statements in the Cengage Privacy Notice, explain our practices with regard to EEA personal data.
This information is being provided by Cengage, Inc. for itself and its subsidiaries:
20 Channel Center
Boston MA 02210
Cengage, Inc. is based in the United States. Our representative in the EEA is:
Cengage Learning (EMEA) Limited
Walworth Business Park
Registration Number: Z2487772
The Cengage Privacy Notice explains the reasons why we process your Personal Information. We only process Personal Information when we have a legal basis for the processing, such as:
- To fulfill a contract with you or your school
- For closely-related purposes, such as payment processing and financial account management, contract management, website administration, business continuity and disaster recovery, security and fraud prevention, corporate governance, reporting and legal compliance
- With your consent (or provided you have not objected, as may be appropriate under applicable law), such to provide you with marketing communications
We may also process your Personal Information for the purposes of our legitimate interests (or for the legitimate interests of your school, provided that such processing shall not outweigh your rights and freedoms.) In particular, we may process your Personal Information as needed to:
- Protect you, us or others from threats (such as security threats or fraud) or cheating,
- Comply with the laws that are applicable to us around the world,
- Enable or administer our business, such as for quality control, consolidated reporting, and customer service,
- Manage corporate transactions, such as mergers or acquisitions, and
- Understand and improve our business or customer relationships generally.
We may use profiling and analytics to understand how individuals interact with our educational materials, such as assess engagement and improve learning outcomes, and product development purposes. For example, we may use analytics to study the amount of time that individuals spend on specific content items and we may infer engagement from this process. These analytics also help us understand and improve our materials, as we can determine what materials are more or less accessible to students. We may also use analytics for course integrity purposes, such as to identify individuals that may be cheating.
We will not make automated decisions about you that may significantly affect you, unless (1) the decision is necessary as part of a contract that we have with you, (2) we have your explicit consent, or (3) we are required by law to use the technology.
In most cases, you are not required by law to provide any Personal Information to Cengage. You are required to provide certain Personal Information to enable us to enter into a contract with you so that you can use our products and services. Our registration forms indicate which data elements are required for our contracts. If you do not provide these data elements, we cannot do business with you.
As noted in the Cengage Privacy Notice, you always have the right to object to our marketing communications. To opt-out of emails, simply click the link labeled “unsubscribe” at the bottom of any email we send you. To revoke permissions that you may have given to send text messages, text STOP in response to any message.
Cengage also respects the rights of EEA residents to access, correct and request erasure or restriction of their personal information as required by law. This means:
- You generally have a right to know whether or not Cengage maintains your Personal Information. If we do have your personal information, we will provide you with a copy (subject to the rights of others). If your information is incorrect or incomplete, you have the right to ask us to update it.
- You have the right to object to our processing of your Personal Information.
- You may also ask us to delete or restrict your personal information.
To exercise these rights, please contact us via email to email@example.com or write us at the address above, and a member of our Privacy Team will assist you. Please understand that we may need to verify your identify before we can process your request.
If you believe that we have processed your Personal Information in violation of applicable law, you may file a complaint with the Cengage Privacy Office or with a supervisory authority.
As noted in the Cengage Privacy Notice, your Personal Information may be transferred to, stored at or processed in the United States and other countries which may not have equivalent privacy or data protection laws.
We generally use approved Standard Contractual Clauses to assure that Personal Information is adequately protected when it is transferred out of the European Economic Area or Switzerland, but we may also make transfers to recipients with approved Binding Corporate Rules or to recipients in the United States who have certified to the EU-US and/or Swiss-US Privacy Shield Framework.
Please contact us via email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more information about cross-border transfers or to obtain a copy of the Standard Contractual Clauses.
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as the information is needed for the purposes set forth in Section 3 above and for any additional period that may be required or permitted by law. You may request that we delete your Personal Information by contacting us via email to email@example.com. Unless we are required by law to retain your information, we will delete it within 30 days of your request.
Please contact us if you have any questions or comments about our privacy practices or this Privacy Notice. You can always reach us via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reach us via mail to the addresses given above.
Certain Cengage businesses, like Ed2Go, administer websites that provide course materials and services for educational institutions and companies. Information collected on these websites is only used by us to support our clients and provide the services requested by the course instructors. We do not use this information for our own purposes. Most educational institution student course records are also protected by the Family and Educational Rights Privacy Act (FERPA). For information on your company or school's privacy policies, please contact the administration.
Our hosted websites may offer students and professionals the opportunity to interact directly with Cengage Learning. If so, the Cengage Privacy Notice will apply to that information.
Cengage Learning, Inc. and its affiliates collect U.S. Social Security numbers and other sensitive Personal Information in the ordinary course of its business. We have implemented reasonable technical, physical and administrative safeguards to help protect sensitive Personal Information from unlawful use and unauthorized disclosure. All Cengage workers are required to follow these established safeguards, which include the following:
- Access to sensitive Personal Information is limited to those workers and service providers who have a need to access the information to perform tasks for Cengage. Sensitive Personal Information is only disclosed to third parties in accordance with Cengage's established privacy and security policy.
- Cengage will only disclose sensitive Personal Information (1) to those service providers, auditors, advisors and/or successors in interest who are legally or contractually obligated to protect them, or (2) as required or permitted by law.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
California Civil Code Section 1798 allows California residents to ask companies with whom they have an established business relationship to provide certain information about the companies’ sharing of Personal Information with third parties for direct marketing purposes.
California customers who wish to request further information about our compliance with this law or have questions or concerns about our privacy practices may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to:
Cengage Learning, Inc.
20 Channel Center
Boston MA 02210