Request for consultation
Teach students everything they need to know about medical coding in outpatient and physician health care facilities with UNDERSTANDING MEDICAL CODING: A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE, 4E. Using clear, step-by-step instructions, students learn to code a claim correctly and link the correct CPT and ICD-10-CM codes for reimbursement. They gain an understanding of adjustments, how and when to bill patients, and what to do in case of a denial or rejection. Updated coverage introduces ICD-10-CM and how it compares to ICD-9-CM. The book also details CPT coding and modifiers with more code-specific information and a concentration on specialty coding and levels of coding. Case studies, practice exercises, examples, charts, and photos help improve performance and ensure learners are well prepared for medical coding positions in a variety of settings. An accompanying Companion Website offers comprehensive resources, including online testing, PowerPoint® slides, online MindTap® resources and more.
- UPDATES THROUGHOUT REFLECT THE LATEST ICD-10-CM. All content and exercises correspond with the industry’s shift to ICD-10-CM. This edition not only incorporates ICD-10-CM, but also explains its history. All CMS-1500 forms are now updated with the 02/12 version to support submission of ICD-10-CM codes.
- NEW AND UPDATED CONTENT HIGHLIGHTS THE MOST RECENT INFORMATION AND INDUSTRY DEVELOPMENTS. Updates present the most recent information on topics, such as HIPAA and PQRS. This edition also examines new legislation, such as the Affordable Care Act and updated Medicare content.
- NEW MINDTAP® OFFERS STUDENTS A FULLY ONLINE PERSONAL LEARNING EXPERIENCE. This personalized, comprehensive online resource offers an interactive eBook with highlighting and note-taking, as well as coding exercises and case studies to allow real-world coding experience.
- UPDATED TIPS, EXAMPLES, TABLES, CHARTS, FIGURES, AND PHOTOS CLARIFY THE PRESENTATION. Memorable examples and visuals help students master the material while reflecting the latest updates in today’s medical coding.
- COMPREHENSIVE CONTENT ADDRESSES ALL ASPECTS OF OUTPATIENT AND PHYSICIAN CODING AND BILLING PROCESSES. Students learn to master coding and billing as well as reimbursement and collections issues, from accurate code selection to the collection of delinquent accounts. This edition’s trusted and thorough content ensures your students are prepared to work in any medical billing setting.
- STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY GUIDE STUDENTS THROUGH KEY PROCESSES. This edition directs students in completing claim form submission for various insurance carriers with the revised CMS-1500 form (02/12 version) to accommodate ICD-10-CM codes.
- SPECIAL FEATURES AND ICONS REINFORCE AND DRAW ATTENTION TO CRITICAL INFORMATION THROUGHOUT THE TEXT. The authors effectively integrate highlights, Coding Tips, Official Coding Guidelines, Official CPT Guidelines, and HIPAA alert icons throughout the book for additional instructional support.
- PRACTICAL EXERCISES ENSURE UNDERSTANDING AND PROVIDE IMPORTANT HANDS-ON PRACTICE. Exercises strategically positioned throughout the book provide opportunities to test student knowledge and provide learners with important hands-on coding practice.
- ENCODER SOFTWARE PROVIDES PROFESSIONAL-LEVEL, HANDS-ON PRATICE: A 59-day trial version of Encoder Pro.com Expert™ from Optum enables students to look up codes and descriptions quickly and with greater accuracy.
1. Introduction to Coding.
3. HCPCS Level II.
4. Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) Basics.
5. Evaluation and Management.
6. Anesthesia and General Surgery.
7. Integumentary System.
9. Cardiology and the Cardiovascular System.
11. Radiology, Pathology, and Laboratory.
13. Modifiers: A Practical Understanding.
14. Billing and Collections.
15. Filing the Claim Form.
16. Payment for Professional Health Care Services, Auditing, and Appeals.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Companion Web Site
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, an instructor’s manual, and chapter test banks.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.