Request for consultation
Understanding Computers in a Changing Society gives your students a classic introduction to computer concepts with a modern twist! Known for its emphasis on basic computer concepts and societal issues, this text makes concepts relevant to today's career-focused students and has increased emphasis on mobile computing and related issues such as mobile commerce and mobile security.
- New Hardware Developments: Includes smartphones, media tablets, smart watches, Google Glass, hybrid notebook-tablet computers, tiny PCs like the Raspberry Pi and Chromecast, GPUs, tablet and smartphone docks, personal 3D printers, projector phones, self-driving cars, self-healing devices, perceptual computing, gesture input, touch mice, eye tracking tablets, tablet storage devices, DNA data storage, and 4K (Ultra HD) Blu-ray Discs.
- New Software Developments: Includes Windows 8, the Google Play store, mobile app builders, and the impact of cloud computing.
- New Networking Technologies: Includes new and emerging Wi-Fi standards, the Internet of Things (IoT), Bluetooth Smart, and new Wi-Fi-enabled products such as smart thermostats, scales, and Wi-Fi locks.
- New Mobile and Web Applications: Includes Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), mobile ticketing, mobile data caps, group messaging, geofencing, Google Now, and mobile ergonomics, as well as cloud printing, social media integration, and virtual currency.
- New Security Risks and Precautions: Includes BYOD security issues, social media hacks, ransomware, digital tattoos and other emerging biometric systems, soft and hard tokens for OTPs/two-factor authentication, wireless tethers for mobile devices, and proximity devices and apps to automatically lock and unlock a computer.
- Increased emphasis on mobile computing (including smartphones, media tablets, mobile apps, and issues such as mobile commerce and mobile security).
- New Presentation/Demonstration project in each chapter have students explain a technology topic or demonstrate a skill. All Balancing Act projects in each chapter (which state a current issue and students need to pick a side and defend it) have been updated to reflect timely topics.
- All topics and figures updated for currency.
- Ask the Expert: Features guest experts from top-name companies such as McDonald’s, Kingston, Seagate, Symantec, SanDisk, SONIC, Rhapsody, GreenDisk, and Sony Animations who discuss how concepts covered in each chapter relate to students’ lives or careers in the IT industry.
- Special Features: Trend, Inside the Industry, How It Works, and Technology and You boxes take a look at how computers and technology work or are used in everyday life.
- Learning Tools: Include Review Activities (Key Terms, Self-Quiz, Exercises, and Discussion Questions), as well as Projects (Hot Topics, Hands On, Ethics in Action, Presentation/Demonstration, and Balancing Act) that extend student knowledge through research and activities.
2. A Closer Look at Hardware and Software.
3. The Internet and the World Wide Web.
4. Network and Internet Security.
5. Computer Security and Privacy.
6. Intellectual Property Rights and Ethics.
7. Health, Access and the Environment.
8. Emerging Technologies.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
CourseMate Instant Access
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's New Perspectives CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. New Perspectives CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need! New Perspectives CourseMate includes: An interactive eBook and Interactive teaching and learning tools including: Quizzes, Flashcards, Videos, Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course and more. Please note: the Student Edition Labs within CourseMate are not Mac compatible.
CourseMate Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. New Perspectives CourseMate includes: An interactive eBook with highlighting, note taking and an interactive glossary and Interactive learning tools, including: Quizzes, Flashcards, Videos, and more! Please note: the Student Edition Labs within CourseMate are not Mac compatible.