Request for consultation
When your students need proven training for career success, depend on the resource even the pros trust: Delmar’s TRACTOR-TRAILER TRUCK DRIVER TRAINING, Fifth Edition. Delmar is the only official education partner of the Professional Truck Driver Institute (PTDI), which means this valuable resource is the perfect choice to provide up-to-date, comprehensive knowledge to help students succeed at every stage of their careers. The Fifth Edition includes updated material reflecting new minimum standards for Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). In addition, the text now features Skill Drills and Safety Checks at the beginning and end of key chapters to reinforce key skills and safety practices essential for today’s professional truck drivers.
- The Fifth Edition includes content carefully updated to align with new minimum training standards for Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
- New Skill Drills and Safety Checks at the beginning and end of applicable chapters highlight key skills and important safety topics students will need to master and apply in order to succeed in today’s industry.
- Text content is now available in MindTap, a complete digital solution that makes it easy to customize and manage your courses and lessons--and deliver engaging, effective learning experiences for today’s students.
- Instructor Resources are available online, providing convenient access to valuable instructional materials and useful tools, including chapter-by-chapter instructor guides, presentation slides to complement text content, an image library, and a test generator.
- End-of-chapter material and several appendices list useful industry resources, including relevant websites, reference materials, and trucking association contact information, giving students easy access to valuable information outside the text.
- Developed in partnership with PTDI, the text content meets the latest curriculum standards in order to help secure or maintain PTDI certification for your program.
- The text features content aligned to the most recent Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations and standards.
- Useful illustrations and appealing photographs throughout the text help clarify important topics, bringing even difficult material to life, and engaging today’s visual learners.
- An engaging, straightforward writing style helps capture students’ attention and make content easy to understand for readers of all backgrounds and levels.
1. Welcome to Professional Driving.
2. The Commercial Driver's License.
3. Control Systems.
4. Vehicle Systems.
5. Transportation Technology.
6. Vehicle Inspections.
7. Basic Control.
9. Backing and Docking.
10. Coupling and Uncoupling.
11. Sliding Fifth Wheels and Tandem Axles.
12. Preventive Maintenance and Servicing.
13. Recognizing and Reporting Malfunctions.
15. Visual Search.
16. Space Management.
17. Speed Management.
18. Night Driving.
19. Extreme Driving Conditions.
20. Skid Control.
21. Hazard Awareness.
22. Railroad Crossings.
23. Emergency Maneuvers.
24. Accident Procedures.
25. Handling Cargo.
26. Cargo Documentation.
27. Special Rigs.
28. Hours of Service.
29. Trip Planning.
30. Transportation Security.
31. Driving International Routes.
32. Hazardous Materials.
33. Public Relations and Job Search.
34. Driver Health, Safety and Security.
35. Whistleblower Protections for Professional Drivers.
36. Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA).
Appendix A: Troubleshooting Guide.
Appendix B: Trucking Organizations.
Appendix C: Glossary.
Appendix D: Index.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Instructor Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.