Request for consultation
Nuanced and practical, THERAPEUTIC COMMUNICATION FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS, Fourth Edition offers students a complete guide to patient interactions in many health care settings. Developed to help students communicate effectively, ease patient anxiety, increase compliance, and enhance health care interactions for all, chapters discuss both the good and bad responses caregivers can have to stressful situations, as well as techniques for improvement. Every chapter starts with a case study to engage students in the content from the first page, then reinforces communication strategies with more practice cases, boxed features, role-play exercises, and end-of-chapter questions. Whether they’re faced with end-of-life situations, substance-abuse, mental illness, or any number of stressful scenarios, students will develop an arsenal of soft skills for helping patients cope. THERAPEUTIC COMMUNICATION FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS, Fourth Edition is the ideal reference for helping students learn to think critically on their feet, and react to patients with therapeutically appropriate responses.
- Greater Application: Extra case studies and “Stop and Consider” questions give students more exposure to medical professionals in common situations, helping them develop a mental tool kit filled with conversations, interviews, and outcomes to draw upon later.
- Multicultural Focus: More attention to the multicultural aspects of communication in the chapters and case studies encourages readers to understand and accept values, beliefs, and customs unlike their own.
- New Alternatives: The all-new chapter on Therapeutic Communication in Complementary Medicine explores emerging alternative therapies that harmonize with traditional medicine, as well as the potential for conflict and an approach for integrating the two perspectives.
- End-of-Life Discussions: Content updates clarify student understanding of life-altering and life-threatening illnesses, death and dying, and the latest information on assisted-death legislation and hospice care.
- Improved Design: The fourth edition adds colorful art and illustrations for realism, while updated icons highlight key topics in Self-Awareness, Culture, Legal, and Professionalism.
- Time-Saving Tools: Easy access to the Instructor Companion Website provides an Instructor’s Manual with additional case studies, lesson plans, and answers to chapter activities, as well as customizable PowerPoint® presentations and Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero®.
- Hands-On Practice: Case studies, examples, and highlighted techniques for effective communication prepare readers to work in a variety of settings with a diverse set of clients.
- Early Engagement: A case study at the start of every chapter asks readers to consider some of the challenges health care professionals face, and offers insights and solutions to help manage them.
- Bold Direction: Bolded key terms throughout the text help readers remember the concepts that matter while a thorough glossary defines them and serves as a go-to study reference.
- Critical Pause: “Stop and Consider” questions and end-of-chapter activities offer readers opportunities to think about situations and problems, and then apply effective therapeutic communication strategies.
2. Multicultural Therapeutic Communication.
3. Therapeutic Communication in Complementary Medicine.
4. The Helping Interview.
5. The Therapeutic Response Across the Life Span.
6. The Therapeutic Response to Stressed, Anxious, and Fearful Clients.
7. The Therapeutic Response to Angry, Aggressive, Abused, or Abusive Clients.
8. The Therapeutic Response to Depressed and/or Suicidal Clients.
9. The Therapeutic Response to Clients with Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders.
10. The Therapeutic Response to Clients with Life-Altering Illness.
11. The Therapeutic Response to Clients Experiencing Loss, Grief, Dying, and Death.
Appendix A: Theories of Growth and Development.
Appendix B: Defense Mechanisms.
“The 4th edition is well-designed to bring new issues to the forefront. It builds on the previous editions of a well-respected communication text for health sciences.”
“It is well done and a perfect level for medical office students. It is extremely difficult to find a textbook that is not written specifically for health care providers and nurses, but the authors have done an excellent job creating a book useable by clinical as well as administrative office/hospital students. The book is readable and the case studies add interest to the chapters.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Companion Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations that coordinate with chapters in the text, an instructor’s manual, solutions, test banks, and other resources that help streamline course preparation and administration.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere. Include your own favorite test questions, create multiple test versions in an instant, and deliver tests from your LMS, classroom, or wherever you want.