Request for consultation
Preparing readers for real-world practice, THE TRANSFORMED SCHOOL COUNSELOR, Third Edition teaches students to effectively use theories, data-driven decision-making, leadership, advocacy, and consultation to improve their clients' scholastic achievement and foster social justice. Thoroughly integrating the ASCA National Model throughout, the text provides an excellent overview of how the school counseling profession has transformed to successfully meet the needs of 21st-century students. It challenges pre-service counselors to view their sphere of influence from a systemic perspective and develop an awareness of the major societal and educational changes impacting the school counselor--including economy, technology, family structures, standards-based education, and diversity. Completely current and aligned with 2016 CACREP standards, the third edition is packed with new case studies, Voices From the Field insights, the latest data available, and real-world illustrations. In addition, a host of instructor's ancillaries helps maximize course planning and success.
- Ensuring the most current and cutting-edge experience for students, all significant new national initiatives and national associations' revisions are a significant part of this edition. These include the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) National Model (3rd Edition, 2012), the ASCA Behaviors and Mindsets for College and Career Readiness (2014), the 2014 American Counseling Association Code of Ethics, the 2016 Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) standards, and the Revised American School Counselor Association (ASCA) position statements.
- The fully revised Chapter 6 on legal and ethical issues incorporates the results of national surveys on topics such as: ASCA's school counselors and child abuse reporting; American Association of University Women's Hostile Hallways study; ASCA's school counselors and case notes; and ASCA's school counselors supporting lesbian, gay, bisexual, questioning, and transgender students. The chapter also addresses the most recent court cases such as Ward v. Wilbanks, providing "guidance" for school counselors in training to grapple with the everyday challenges in schools.
- In addition to a full Chapter 7 dedicated to Comprehensive School Counseling and the 2012 ASCA National Model, this edition thoroughly integrates the model across all content areas, with specific practical examples to illustrate its various components. A new discussion of Recognized ASCA Model Programs (RAMP) recipients highlights their contributions to student success.
- The completely revised Chapter 8 on accountability incorporates the newly revised ASCA National Model's approach to accountability, and includes current examples of counselors around the country and their success with accountability initiatives.
- The revamped Chapter 14, "All Students College and Career Ready," includes the most up-to-date information on the White House Reach Higher Initiative (2014), which emphasizes college and career readiness and access for every high school student.
- Completely up to date, the third edition is packed with cutting-edge examples and illustrations. From an introduction to the world of schools to applying counseling theory in the school setting, this text is ideal for introducing your students to the contemporary world of school counseling or to support their learning during their practicum and/or internship experiences. The conceptual framework promotes school counselor pre-service development with a strong emphasis on social justice and equity, data-driven and evidence-based practice, and working with diverse student populations.
- Each chapter begins with a Case Scenario that illustrates chapter concepts and prompts students to critically think through a typical school-based situation. At the chapter's conclusion, students have the opportunity to compare their response to one from a practicing school counselor and leading expert, who provides opinions and insights (in the Voices from the Field feature) on topics ranging from motivational interviewing to implementing the ASCA National Model.
- Student learner outcomes are designed to support the expectations of the 2016 Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) standards and the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), formerly known as NCATE. This edition is also closely aligned with the ASCA School Counselor Competencies, American Counseling Association Ethical Codes, and the newly released ASCA Mindsets and Behaviors for College and Career Readiness (2014).
- Reflecting the fact that technology is a critical component of school counselor training and practice, the text includes examples to illustrate how to use technology efficiently and effectively to expand the delivery of services and communication. The end of each chapter includes a list of tools and web-based supports that are essential to school counseling success.
- Each chapter includes a series of practical applications for class activities or assignments in a face-to-face or blended teaching format.
- Chapter 9, "Diversity Matters," covers all aspects of student diversity, including gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity and culture, socio-economic status, and ability and disability. A strong emphasis is placed on the school counselor's role in developing a culturally competent school environment.
- Chapter 10, "Working with Special Needs Students," offers insight into the unique strategies and issues involved with working with this population. The role of the school counselor with regard to Response to Intervention (RtI) and Positive Behavior Intervention Supports is a key component of the chapter.
- Pre-service education requires a strong foundation in counseling, consultation, leadership, advocacy, and the coordination of services to prepare a school counselor to impact the climate and culture of a school. This book takes this one step further by emphasizing the importance of pursuing a social justice agenda, promoting equitable access to quality education for every student, and implementing an accountable school-counseling program.
2. Counseling Theory in Schools.
3. Counseling Practice in Schools.
4. School Counselors as Leaders.
5. School Counselors as Advocates.
6. Legal and Ethical Issues for School Counselors.
7. Implementing the ASCA National Model.
8. Accountability and Data-Driven Decision Making.
9. Diversity Matters.
10. Working with Special Needs Students.
11. Creating a Safe, Supportive, and Respective School Culture and Environment.
12. School Counselors as Consultants.
13. School Counselors as Coordinators, Collaborators, and Managers of Resources.
14. All Students College and Career Ready.
15. Transitioning into the Field of School Counseling.
"This book was very readable and the practical tips and strategies will be helpful for school counseling students."
"I love the 'mindset' perspective offered throughout this book. It really is what needs to happen, and it's refreshing to see this promoted here."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Test Bank
For assessment support, the updated test bank may include true/false, multiple-choice, matching, short answer, and essay questions for each chapter.
Online Instructor's Manual
The Instructor's Manual (IM) contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It presents chapter-by-chapter suggestions and resources to enhance and facilitate learning.
PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage directly from the textbook.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Counseling CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. CourseMate includes an integrated eBook, glossaries, flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more--as well as Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.