Request for consultation
THE SCIENCE OF AGRICULTURE: A BIOLOGICAL APPROACH, Fifth Edition, masterfully introduces the biological sciences and explores the influences of these sciences on modern agricultural practices and the agricultural industry. Reader-friendly and superbly illustrated, this highly practical text explains not only the “how” of agriculture, but also the “why” behind agriscience, presenting information on plant and animal systems, soils, cell functions, genetics, genetic engineering, plant and animal reproduction, entomology, biotechnology, and environmental concerns. Additionally, the text spotlights career opportunities and discusses new directions in agriculture, including topics such as no-till crops, high-pressure processing in food preservation, fracking, and more, to further engage students with today’s agricultural world.
- Readings within each chapter are broken down into smaller sections designated by relevant headings, making the material easier for students to digest and retain.
- All-new Bio Briefs for the Fifth Edition cover current news and trends in the world of science and agriculture, placing a spotlight on exciting advancements in the industry relevant to today’s professionals.
- The author has updated key statistics throughout the text to illuminate the latest U.S. and global trends in agriculture.
- New and updated content throughout the text provides coverage of noteworthy topics, including histones and their role in affecting genetic traits, quarantine measures for plant and animal diseases, no-till crops as a new cultivation method for weed control, food labeling for consumer awareness, high-pressure processing in food preservation, developing new foods through genetic engineering, and fracking as a way to unlock new sources of energy.
- A reader-friendly writing style presents information in an interesting and engaging way that appeals to students and facilitates learning.
- Full-color photos, illustrations and design elements bring key points to life and help students relate chapter content to relevant real-world applications.
- Each chapter opens with two sets of learning objectives—those for basic science, and those for agriscience—allowing students to see connections between the agriculture industry and the scientific concepts that underpin and advance it.
- Bio Brief articles included in the chapter's present real scientific studies and discoveries happening throughout the world, relating current agriculture and science activities directly to the material students are learning.
- Discussion Questions and Student Learning Activities encourage practical application of chapter content, providing a useful and effective way to engage students with the material and assess their learning.
2. Soil: The Source of Life.
3. Cells: Agriculture’s Building Blocks.
4. The Science of Genetics.
5. Genetic Engineering.
6. The Classification of Agricultural Organisms.
7. Plant Systems.
8. Plant Reproduction.
9. Plant Growth.
10. Animal Systems.
11. Animal Reproduction.
12. Animal Growth.
13. Plant and Animal Diseases.
14. Weed Science.
15. Agricultural Entomology.
16. The Science of Forestry.
17. The Science of Aquaculture.
18. Agriculture and the Environment.
19. Wildlife Management
20. A Safe Food Supply.
21. The Science of Food Preservation.
22. The Science of Fiber Production.
23. Producing Organically Grown Products.
24. New Directions in Agriculture.
25. Energy from Agriculture.
26. Careers in Agricultural Science.
27. The Agriscience Fair.
28. Laboratory Safety.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
The Companion site for Herren’s THE SCIENCE OF AGRICULTURE: A BIOLOGICAL APPROACH, Fifth Edition, features tools to support learning and facilitate teaching, including: Answers to Review Questions appearing at the end of each chapter allow teachers to track and validate student learning. Answers to the Lab Manual provide responses to the all questions found in the exercises, as well as a complete materials list for each exercise and helpful notes to inform preparation of classroom experiments. Lesson Plans provide an outline of key topics in each chapter, and correlate to the accompanying PowerPoint® presentations. PowerPoint® Presentations align with the Lesson Plans and include photos and illustrations that visually reinforce key points in each chapter. Testing Powered by Cognero®, a flexible online system, provides chapter-by-chapter quizzes and enables teachers to: Author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple sources, Create multiple test versions in an instant, and Deliver tests from teacher- or school-specific learning management systems (LMS) or classrooms. Construction Plans, including one for a greenhouse and another for an aquaculture unit, detail the construction of these resources to provide a method for research studies. Developing Critical Career Skills provides information on effective methods for cultivating leadership abilities; outlines specific technical, management, and teamwork skills required of a successful employee in the business; and offers advice on preparing for an interview. Image Gallery offers full-color photos and illustrations from the text to enable teachers to further enhance classroom presentations. For these instructor-specific resources, please visit CengageBrain.com at http://login.cengage.com and follow the prompts for obtaining access this secure site.
Thoroughly revised to align with the latest core curriculum math and science standards, the Laboratory Manual for Herren’s THE SCIENCE OF AGRICULTURE: A BIOLOGICAL APPROACH, Fifth Edition, applies and reinforces concepts found in the text, and the methods used by agricultural and biological scientists.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Thoroughly revised, the Laboratory Manual for Herren’s THE SCIENCE OF AGRICULTURE: A BIOLOGICAL APPROACH, Fifth Edition, provides engaging exercises, thought-provoking questions, and supporting information for hands-on application experiences in the lab environment.