Request for consultation
THE MODERN PRESIDENCY is a concise, accessible and sophisticated text that uses cases to illustrate important aspects of presidential action and decision-making. Written by a top scholar on the presidency and thoroughly updated through the summer of 2009 to include the presidency of Barack Obama, the book looks at presidents as individuals and at the large institutions that make up the modern presidency.
- Section on the 2008 nomination campaigns in Democratic and Republican parties, additional analysis of primaries and caucuses.
- Chapters Four and Five were Merged into one Chapter Four: "The White House and Executive Branch."
- New section on Bush and commander in chief power as compared with Watergate, Iran-Contra, Clinton impeachment, as abuse of power.
- The text provides a concise, 'nuts-and-bolts' approach to the study of the American Presidency from FDR through Barack Obama.
- Two- to four-page "Case Studies" on Presidential confrontations with Congress illustrate important aspects of presidential action and decision-making.
2. The President and the Public.
3. The White House Staff and Organization.
4. The White House and Executive Branch.
5. The President and Congress.
6. The President and National Security.
7. Presidential Greatness and Abuse of Power.
"The Modern Presidency is a fine book for covering the institutional presidency and providing historical context of the modern presidency....Perhaps most important, The Modern Presidency is built on a foundation of scholarship but updated with more journalistic accounts interpreted by Pfiffner, who integrates recent events into a long-standing framework." Wayne Steger, DePaul University
"Students who read this book will emerge with a working knowledge of the office and the tools to understand its evolving role and place in our nation....This book is a winner in every way!"David Gray Adler, Idaho State University
"The integration of detail into thematic chapters was impressive to me." -Julia R. Azari, Marquette University
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.