Request for consultation
THE LITIGATION PARALEGAL: A SYSTEMS APPROACH, SIXTH EDITION combines theories and principles of law with practical skills to give students an engaging, highly visual overview of the role of the paralegal in today’s legal settings. Numerous detailed exhibits, forms, checklists, and practical tips, illustrate the realities of paralegal work. In addition, the Sixth Edition covers the latest electronic discovery issues and the associated ethical and practical responsibilities of the lawyer and paralegal. The book also includes a wide range of new and updated cases, assignments, key terms, and study questions to help your students master the content. Instructors can use any approach of their choosing, including the book’s step-by-step law office litigation system that stresses organizational skills and quality control techniques.
- “Trade Secrets” focus on practical tips that a paralegal can apply in the workplace.
- “Technology Updates” examine various types of technology and Internet sites used in the litigation process.
- “Ethical Considerations” provide guidance on the ethical standards required of paralegals and attorneys.
- Two new Internet-based features (“Apply Your Knowledge” and “Internet Exercises”) assist students in building critical thinking skills by asking them to apply principles and concepts to real-world situations.
- A case study is now followed through the litigation process in the “Case Assignments” section, enhancing critical thinking skills and the practical application of chapter concepts.
- New analysis problems, study/review questions and internet applications enhance learning and retention of new text material, while new chapter-opening learning objectives provide a framework for the terms and concepts introduced in the chapter.
- The “Case Study: Understanding the Law” feature provides cases to review and analyze, giving students practice in reviewing the same kinds of cases they would review and research in a law office or other legal setting.
- Clear and concise presentation of concepts and practice skills promotes quicker comprehension and easier application of subject matter.
- Realistic case scenarios and assignments that simulate the law office setting stimulate student interest and motivation. These case scenarios are reemphasized in the “Case Assignment” sections, the systems folder assignments, and the applications assignments at the end of each chapter.
- References to key court decisions and examination of pertinent rules of law, evidence, and procedures enhance student understanding of the importance of legal authority and policies.
2. The Initial Interview.
3. Evidence and Investigation.
4. Drafting the Complaint.
5. Filing the Lawsuit, Service of Process, and Obtaining a Default Judgment.
6. Defending and Testing the Lawsuit: Motions, Answers, and Other.
7. Discovery and Electronic Discovery: Overview and Interrogatories.
8. Discovery: Depositions.
9. Discovery: Document Production and Control, Medical Exams, Admissions.
10. Settlement and Other Alternative Dispute Resolutions.
11. Trial Preparation and Trial.
12. Post-Trial Practice from Motions to Appeal.
“The examples and exhibits in this text are excellent. They are not only excellent teaching tools, but good references for working paralegals.” “Discovery – The chapters on the discovery process are some of the best I have read. They are the best chapters in this text.” “Paralegal Handbook – This is a great introduction, not only to the study of litigation but to what it means to be a paralegal. Many of my students in their first semester want to work in the law but do not really know what a paralegal can do. This is a good resource for them.”
“The McCord text is superior in its logical organization and grouping of topics. It has a concise writing style and wealth of examples and exhibits.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
The Instructor Companion Website includes an Instructor’s Manual with answers to text questions, lecture outline and teaching suggestions, test banks, and customizable PowerPoint presentations.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.