Request for consultation
THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT TODAY: BUSINESS IN ITS ETHICAL, REGULATORY, E-COMMERCE, AND GLOBAL SETTING, 8th Edition equips students with the working knowledge of business-related laws recommended by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business while strengthening the reasoning skills they need to interpret and apply them. Using carefully selected cases, the text challenges students to analyze and resolve legal issues facing today's businesses. Hypothetical situations and exercises, ethical discussions, and international considerations illustrate how business law applies to students' everyday lives and their future careers. The Eighth Edition includes an overall emphasis on how the digital landscape is affecting business law as well as an all-new chapter on Law, Social Media, and Privacy. Chapters also cover the latest on corporate responsibility, financial and credit card reforms, health-care laws, and much more. Hands-on and student friendly, the text offers in-text exam preparation tools as well as online access to interactive flash cards, quizzing, and other study tools.
- Offering the most current coverage available, the new Eighth Edition of THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT TODAY includes the latest cases, trends, and emerging issues impacting Business Law.
- Reflecting real-world practice, the text now includes an overall emphasis on how the digital landscape is affecting business law.
- An all-new Chapter 9 "Law, Social Media, and Privacy" delivers comprehensive coverage of this ever-evolving area.
- Chapter 6 "Criminal Law and Cyber Crime" now includes an expanded discussion of cyber crime.
- Chapter 14 "Small Business Organizations" includes essential information on sole proprietorships, partnerships, franchises, LLCs, and LPs.
- Stimulating Hypothetical Situations: Students practice identifying issues and applying legal remedies with "Reviewing" hypothetical scenarios. Each asks a series of probing questions to help students gauge their understanding of chapter material before they progress to new topics.
- Instructor-Friendly Case Examples: The text's unique method of numbering cases enables instructors to easily link chapter concepts to real-world examples.
- Convenient Self-Study Tools: Helping students maximize their study efforts, the text's built-in study features include review questions with answers, end-of-chapter problem sets (including a hypothetical question with a sample answer), case problems with a sample answer, "Issue Spotters" questions, and "Before the Test" reviews.
- Commonsense Organization: Enhance student comprehension with THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT TODAY's logically organized coverage of torts, strict liability, and product liability, as well as expansive material on health-care reform, Internet law, social media, and the digital landscape.
- Insightful Prevention and Ethics Features: Each chapter includes a "Preventing Legal Disputes" feature that offers tips and tools to help students learn to avoid or mitigate legal problems in their future careers. In addition, case-based "A Question of Ethics" and "Insight into Ethics" sections help students navigate ethical issues from multiple perspectives and offer examples of thoughtful, open-ended solutions.
- AACSB-Approved Coverage: Meet all of the specific curriculum requirements outlined by the AACSB with the "Dimensions" questions following each case. These intriguing questions help students see the global, ethical, e-commerce, and environmental considerations of each legal issue for a well-rounded perspective of business law.
- Critical-Thinking Skills Development: Practical in-text features give students hands-on experience applying their knowledge to real-world scenarios--including "What If the Facts Were Different", "Management Perspectives", "Landmark in the Legal Environment", and "For Critical Analysis". Other sections--such as "Landmark in the Law" and "Application to Today's Environment"--enhance student decision-making by showing the impact of landmark cases and statutes on the legal environment.
1. Business and Its Legal Environment.
Appendix to Chapter 1: Finding and Analyzing the Law.
2. Business Ethics.
Appendix to Chapter 2: Costco Code of Ethics.
3. Courts and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
4. Business and the Constitution.
5. Torts and Strict Liability.
6. Criminal Law and Cyber Crime.
7. International Law in a Global Economy.
Unit II: THE COMMERCIAL ENVIRONMENT.
8. Intellectual Property Rights.
9. Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy.
10. The Formation of Traditional and E-Contracts.
11. Contract Performance, Breach, and Remedies.
12. Sales, Leases, and Product Liability.
Appendix to Chapter 12: An Example of a Contract for the International Sale of Coffee.
13. Creditor-Debtor Relations and Bankruptcy.
Unit III: BUSINESS AND EMPLOYMENT.
14. Small Business Organizations.
16. Agency Relationships.
17. Employment, Immigration, and Labor Law.
18. Employment Discrimination.
Unit IV: THE REGULATORY ENVIRONMENT.
19. Powers and Functions of Administrative Agencies.
20. Consumer Protection.
21. Environmental Law.
22. Real Property and Land-Use Control.
23. Antitrust Law and Promoting Competition.
24. Investor Protection and Corporate Governance.
Appendix A: How to Brief Cases and Analyze Case Problems.
Appendix B: The Constitution of the United States.
Appendix C: The Uniform Commercial Code (Article 2 and 2A).
Appendix D: Answers to the Issue Spotters.
Appendix E: Sample Answers for Business Case Problems with Sample Answer.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Expand students' understanding and streamline class preparation with the numerous instructor and student resources available on this edition's robust companion website. Easily download password-protected instructor resources, including the Solution's Manual, Test Bank, and PowerPoint® slides. Students can review concepts using PowerPoint® slides, online quizzes, and other interactive learning tools.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cognero is a flexible online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.