Request for consultation
As globally recognized arbitration experts, the authors of THE LABOR RELATIONS PROCESS bring nearly a century of combined experience with the labor movement, labor relations, and collective bargaining to this popular text. Packed with real-world examples and quotes from practitioners in the field, this 11th edition explores labor's history from inception to current and emerging trends, touching on government, white-collar, and international contexts for an unmatched perspective of the topics. Chapters include in-depth analyses of the relationship between management and labor, including key participants in the processes, and the rights and responsibilities of each. Labor agreements, collective bargaining, contract administration, arbitration, and other critical issues and processes highlight the complex, exciting nature of organized labor, and introduce your students to the many professional opportunities available to them today.
- Enlightening Scenarios: Put a human face on abstract concepts with these chapter-opening scenarios, which detail real-world experiences in labor relations.
- Updated Statistics and Discussions: Thoroughly documenting the changes in unions throughout the U.S., this edition explores issues such as the public's evolving perceptions, modern union statistics, mergers and attrition, and unions operating like corporations.
- Recent NLRB policies and Emerging Trends: This edition explores new NLRB policies for the use of social media, reduction in the time involved in union certification elections, and deferral to arbitration. Updates present the most topical issues in labor relations, including labor law reform, the global economy, technological advances, and the recession's effects on unions, as well as key updates to current U.S. legislation.
- Student Involvement with End-of-Chapter Cases and Exercises: All-new, in-text examples and cases address unauthorized aliens, relationship management, employing union members in non-union work environments, card check recognition agreements, and a firm's change in ownership, among other important topics. Web-based exercises add even more value for students by guiding them to current information, research, and discussion points.
- Thought-Provoking Ethics: Demonstrate how to apply ethical standards to business situations with the stimulating ethical issues integrated throughout the text.
- Assimilating Cases and Features: "Labor Relations in Action" boxed features and short, end-of-chapter cases give your students practice applying theories and concepts from the readings using concrete examples.
- Modern, Web-Based Activities: "Exploring the Web" assignments encourage students to learn more about current labor relations through specific websites.
- Skill-Building Exercises: Your students will work alone or in teams with "Classroom Exercises" throughout the text, which promote practical career skills, such as research, negotiation, analysis, verbal communication, and written communication.
- Unique Public Sector Content: Unlike any competing text an entire chapter is devoted to Labor Relations in the Public Sector -- an increasingly prominent aspect of labor relations.
About the Authors.
Part I: RECOGNIZING RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF UNIONS AND MANAGEMENT.
1. Union-Management Relationships in Perspective.
2. Evolution of Labor-Management Relationships.
3. Legal Influences.
4. Unions and Management: Key Participants in the Labor Relations Process.
5. Why and How Unions Are Organized.
Part II: THE BARGAINING PROCESS AND OUTCOMES.
6. Negotiating the Labor Agreement.
7. Economic Issues.
8. Administrative Issues.
9. Resolving Negotiation (Interest) Disputes and the Use of Economic Pressure.
Part III: ADMINISTERING THE LABOR AGREEMENT.
10. Contract Administration.
11. Labor and Employment Arbitration.
12. Employee Discipline.
Part IV: APPLYING THE LABOR RELATIONS PROCESS TO DIFFERENT LABOR RELATIONS SYSTEMS.
13. Labor Relations in the Public Sector.
14. Labor Relations in Multinational Corporations and in Other Countries.
Appendix: Collective Bargaining Negotiations Exercise.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.