Request for consultation
THE GLOBAL FUTURE: A BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO WORLD POLITICS, Fifth Edition is a concise overview of the study of world politics, based on the framework of Charles Kegley's best-selling WORLD POLITICS: TREND AND TRANSFORMATION. Written in a way that speaks to students with a wide range of backgrounds and abilities, THE GLOBAL FUTURE provides concepts and analytical tools to help readers understand contemporary events and emerging global trends. Every chapter contains thought-provoking case studies, box inserts with rival views on current controversies, a marginal glossary, as well as vivid graphs, maps, and photographs. Centering on the latest international developments, this text encourages students to form their own opinions about the pressing security, economic, and environmental problems of the twenty-first century. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Learning Objectives open each chapter.
- New exercises linked to a specific theoretical puzzle presented in the chapter.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- A critical thinking activity has been added to the end of each chapter.
- Enhanced coverage of the debate over counterinsurgency versus counterterrorism policies and their application to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- Focus on hot topics such as communications, terrorism, ethnic conflict, and the role of multinational corporations.
- The total number of chapters has been reduced from 15 to 12.
- Restructuring of the text including the following:
- a) The chapter on "The Global South" now emphasizes global inequalities and development and accompanies the other political economy chapters that deal with trade, finance, and monetary relations.
- b) Material on globalization has been moved to earlier in the text and combined with the treatment of nonstate actors.
- c) The chapters on international law and human rights have been merged.
- Each chapter introduces case studies to help students think more critically.
- "Controversy" boxes present essential debates in the field.
1. Analyzing World Politics.
2. Theories of World Politics.
3. The Historical Setting of Contemporary World Politics.
Part II. THE ACTORS IN WORLD POLITICS.
4. States and Foreign Policy Decision Making.
5. Intergovernmental Organizations and Global Governance.
6. Nongovernmental Organizations and Transnational Relations.
Part III. THE POLITICS OF GLOBAL SECURITY.
7. Patterns of Armed Conflict.
8. Arms, Alliances, and Coercive Diplomacy.
9. International Law and Human Rights.
Part IV. THE POLITICS OF GLOBAL WELFARE.
10. The Globalization of International Trade and Finance.
11. The Political Economy of Inequality and Development.
12. Global Environmental Trends and the Future of World Politics.
"I have used this text for 9 years. Its scholarship is rigorous. It's style and layout engage students."
"Very highly recommended as a brief edition, because the key concepts and controversies are there for use as a springboard for good classroom coverage and discussion."
"[The book] is well-written and -organized. It reflects the current scholarship in the IR discipline and covers all key issues on the global agenda. The chapters offer insights into future trends and engage students in critical thinking on a number of controversial matters."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
The instructor's manual and test bank have been updated with new material to reflect changes in the new edition.