Request for consultation
Help today’s learners master the hands-on electrical skills they need for professional success with THE COMPLETE LABORATORY MANUAL FOR ELECTRICITY, 4E by best-selling author Stephen Herman. No matter what electrical theory book readers are using, THE COMPLETE LABORATORY MANUAL FOR ELECTRICITY offers the perfect fit with a logical progression of topics; and meaningful, cost-effective experiments. Updated lab activities throughout this edition now incorporate the use of wirewound resistors rather than incandescent lamps to correspond with changing government regulations. Learners explore all aspects of electrical concepts –- from basic electricity through AC theory, transformers, and motor controls - in this single volume. Each lab offers a clear explanation of the circuits to be connected, examples of calculations to complete the exercise, and step-by-step procedures for conducting the experiment. Labs emphasize both the theory and application of electrical concepts as learners construct a multitude of circuits, including series, parallel, combination, RL series and parallel, RC series and parallel, and RLC series and parallel circuits. Trust THE COMPLETE LABORATORY MANUAL FOR ELECTRICITY, 4E as a stand-alone resource or ideal supplement (e.g., to the Delmar Standard Textbook of Electricity) for the hands-on mastery of electrical skills today’s learners need.
- WIREWOUND RESISTORS NOW REPLACE ALL INCANDESCENT LAMPS IN HANDS-ON WORK WITH RESISTIVE LOADS. This edition reflects the latest industry developments as the author has eliminated use of incandescent bulbs within all labs. Rewritten experiments use wirewound resistors to correspond with the phasing out of incandescent lamps within the United States.
- THE USE OF FIXED VALUE RESISTORS ENABLES READERS TO MEASURE TOTAL RESISTANCE WITH AN OHMMETER BEFORE APPLYING POWER TO THE CIRCUIT. Readers can accurately calculate and precisely measure voltage drop and current.
- THE FOURTH EDITION REVISION IS THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE update since the text was first published, with many new and revised graphics to enhance student comprehension.
- THE ONLY GENERIC LAB MANUAL ON THE MARKET, THIS EDITION IS IDEAL AS A STAND-ALONE RESOURCE OR SUPPLEMENT TO ANY ELECTRICAL THEORY BOOK. A logical progression of topics makes this hands-on, practical LAB MANUAL the perfect companion for Delmar’s STANDARD TEXT FOR ELECTRICITY, 6E or any electrical theory book.
- SIMPLE, LESS EXPENSIVE LABS PROVIDE MEANINGFUL HANDS-ON PRACTICE. Now you can easily create labs that reinforce hands-on practice working with today’s most important electrical principles. Instead of requiring extremely expensive commercial training equipment, this LAB MANUAL emphasizes how to construct significant experiments using relatively inexpensive resistors and capacitors and other common items from your lab.
- EXPANDED INFORMATION ON SINGLE-POLE, THREE-WAY, AND FOUR-WAY SWITCH CONNECTIONS PREPARES READERS TO WORK EFFECTIVELY IN TODAY’S ELECTRICAL FIELD. Readers gain a solid understanding of the basic types of switches that electricians regularly install in residential, commercial, or industrial applications.
- PROVEN HANDS-ON METHODOLOGY AND “LEARN BY DOING” APPROACH PREPARES READERS FOR ACTUAL ON-THE-JOB CHALLENGES. Every lab and experiment is carefully tailored to offer practice in specific, real situations electricians are most likely to encounter in today’s professional environment.
- EXPERIMENTS INTRODUCE ELECTRICAL SKILLS USING 120 VOLTS AC AND 208 VOLTS THREE-PHASE. Laboratories simply need access to 120 volts AC and 208 volts three-phase to offer extensive practical experience critical for the learner’s professional success.
1. Measuring Instruments.
2. Ohm’s Law.
3. Series Circuits.
4. Parallel Circuits.
5. Combination Circuits.
6. Resistor Color Code.
SECTION 2: BASIC SWITCH CONNECTIONS.
7. Single-Pole Switches.
8. 3-Way Switches.
9. 4-Way Switches.
SECTION 3: ALTERNATING CURRENT LOADS.
11. Resistive-Inductive Series Circuits
12. RL Parallel Circuits.
14. Resistive-Capacitive Series Circuits.
15. RC Parallel Circuits.
16. Resistive-Inductive-Capacitive Series Circuits.
17. Resistive-Inductive-Capacitive Parallel Circuits.
18. Power Factor Correction.
SECTION 4: TRANSFORMERS AND MOTORS.
19. Transformer Basics.
20. Single-Phase Transformer Calculations.
21. Transformer Polarities.
23. Three-Phase Circuits.
24. Three-Phase Transformers.
25. Three-Phase Motors.
SECTION 5: MOTOR CONTROLS.
26. Start-Stop Push-Button Control.
27. Multiple Push-Button Stations.
28. Forward-Reverse Control.
29. Sequence Control.
30. Jogging Controls.
31. On-Delay Timers.
32. Off-Delay Timers.
33. Changing the Logic of an On-Delay Timer to an Off-Delay Timer.
34. Designing a Printing Press Circuit.
35. Sequence Starting and Stopping for Three Motors.
36. Hydraulic Press Control Circuit.
37. Design of Two Flashing Lights.
38. Design of Three Flashing Lights.
39. Control for Three Pumps.
40. Oil Pressure Pump Circuit for a Compressor.
41. Autotransformer Starter.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access