Request for consultation
Continuing in the tradition of The College Writer, The College Writer's Handbook offers a proven at-a-glance page format, practical writing instruction, and an inviting design--everything today's students need for college and career writing. In addition, the authors' established use of humor as a pedagogical tool and their entertaining visuals, quotations, anecdotes, and models enhance learning and humanize the rich content, setting this handbook apart.The compact handbook balances clear and concise explanations with an abundance of useful hints and compelling examples. It also includes extended coverage of critical topics such as the writing process as well as critical-reading and critical-thinking skills. An easy-to-use CD and companion web site enrich the handbook's instruction, providing useful learning tools for the modern writer. Students receive the most up-to-date information on MLA documentation with the enclosed tri-fold card providing NEW 2009 MLA Handbook formats.
- Lively, user-friendly design elements such as bulleted lists, one- and two-page spreads, twelve tabs to organize topics, and color to highlight key information, facilitate reading and enable students to find information quickly.
- Students receive the most up-to-date information on MLA documentation with the enclosed tri-fold card providing NEW 2009 MLA Handbook formats.
- Exceptional coverage of writing across the curriculum and writing in other contexts includes chapters on writing personal, analytical, and persuasive essays, along with models of common writing forms such as literary analyses, lab reports, field reports, and research papers.
- A thorough introduction to critical thinking, reading, and viewing helps students analyze texts and images more closely and apply these principles to their own writing.
- Three full chapters on design include high-interest material on creating and using visuals and on writing and designing for the Web.
- Superior integrated ESL guidance--combined with an easy-to-follow format--make this handbook appropriate for classes with nonnative speakers of English.
- The comprehensive research section provides in-depth coverage of using sources appropriately, integrating sources, and avoiding plagiarism. Students can refer to detailed coverage of four documentation formats: MLA, APA, Chicago, and CSE (CBE).
Critical Thinking Through Reading
Critical Thinking in Writing
Critical Thinking Through Visual Images
Understanding Argument and Persuasion
Tab 2: The Writing Process
Editing and Proofreading
Submitting, Publishing, and Portfolios
Tab 3: Style Issues
Writing Strong Paragraphs
Writing Effective Sentences
Strengthening Word Choice
A Glossary of Word Usage
Tab 4: Design Issues
Designing and Using Visuals
Writing and Designing for the Web
Tab 5: Grammar
Nouns and Pronouns
Other Parts of Sppech
Tab 6: Sentences
Solving Sentence Prob.
Tab 7: Punctuation and Mechanics
Using End Punctuation
Spelling and Plurals
Numbers and Abbreviations
Tab 8: Multilingual and ESL Guidelines
Understanding Idioms and Mixed Pairs
WAC & Research
Tab 9: Writing Across the Curriculum
Forms of College Writing: An Overview
Business and Application Writing
Objective and Essay Tests
Tab 10: Research Writing
Planning Your Research Project
Doing Primary Research
Doing Library Research
Doing Internet Research
Drafting Papers with Documented Research
Tab 11: MLA
The MLA System and Sample Paper
MLA In-Text Citations
MLA Works Cited
Tab 12: APA, Chicago, and CSE
The APA System and Sample Paper
APA In-Text Citations
Chicago (CMS) and Turabian Format and Documentation
CSE (CBE) Format and Documentation
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Teacher's Guide with CD-ROM