Request for consultation
THE CHANGING EARTH: EXPLORING GEOLOGY AND EVOLUTION, Seventh Edition, is written specifically for courses covering both physical and historical geology. Three interrelated themes (plate tectonics, organic evolution, and geologic time) help students understand that Earth is a complex, integrated, and continually changing system. In the new edition authors James S. Monroe and Reed Wicander integrate content emphasizing the economic impacts of geology. Topics such as fracking, nuclear waste, and the threat of earthquakes are covered in new Geo-Impact boxes that stress real-world applications. Lauded for their clear writing style, the authors go beyond simply explaining geology and its processes; rather, they place that knowledge within the context of human experience by consistently emphasizing relevance, resources, and the environment. New Global Geoscience Watch activities help students learn how to use an extensive database of articles on geology that are updated several times a day and are available exclusively for users of this book.
- New Geo-Impact boxes present new content emphasizing the economic impacts of geology. Topics such as fracking, nuclear waste, and the threat of earthquakes are covered in new Geo-Impact boxes that stress real-world applications.
- New Global Geoscience Watch activities help students learn how to use an extensive database of articles on geology that are updated several times a day and are available exclusively for users of this book.
- Integration of economic and environmental geology throughout the text clearly draws the connection between the relevant aspects of the course to students' lives and future careers.
- Geo-Focus boxes highlight current geologic research and events. New topics include "Gems and Gemstones", "Do Volcanoes Cause Ozone Depletion?", "Industrialization and Acid Rain", and "Dams, Reservoirs, and Hydroelectric Power."
- Chapter summary and review questions emphasize critical thinking and analytical skills. The last question of the Review section in each chapter includes a photograph or illustration designed to challenge students to develop strong observational and critical thinking skills.
- "Have You Ever Wondered?" Questions at the Beginning of Each Chapter: Intriguing questions catch students' attention and motivate them to read the chapter and find the answers.
- Connections Boxes Help Students See the Big Picture: By viewing Earth as a system, students can see how its various components are interconnected and also appreciate its complex and dynamic nature. In the new edition, these inter-relationships are facilitated by Connections Boxes, a small box referring the reader to other locations in the text where more information can be found and connections made on important topics.
- Geo-Images Challenge Students to Develop Strong Observational and Critical Thinking Skills: At the end of most chapters, a photo or graphic is presented that challenges students to describe the geologic processes being depicted and to support their conclusions with logical reasoning.
- Additional Critical Thinking Questions Added to Many Figures: Selected figures within the text are now accompanied by a critical thinking question to encourage active student learning, guide student observational skill development, and deepen understanding of geologic processes.
- Recognizing geology as an especially visual science, the art program has been carefully updated, with new photographs that help students identify geologic features in the world around them, and new diagrams and maps that illustrate the concepts discussed in the text. Furthermore, the captions have been redesigned to improve readability and, where appropriate, critical thinking questions have been added to enhance student observational skill development and deepen understanding of geologic processes.
- Fully updated to reflect the most current information in the field, this edition also includes coverage of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, the 2009 Haiti earthquake, volcanic eruptions in Iceland and Indonesia, floods in Pakistan, and new information on glaciers and global warming.
- The two-page concept art spreads, called Geo-inSight, present an array of relevant photographs, along with in-depth captions that illuminate a specific geological landform, collection, or event. Geo-inSights improve understanding by encouraging students to analyze and synthesize information visually.
2. Plate Tectonics: A Unifying Theory.
3. Minerals—The Building Blocks of Rocks.
4. Igneous Rocks and Plutons.
5. Volcanoes and Volcanism.
6. Weathering, Erosion, and Soil.
7. Sediment and Sedimentary Rocks.
8. Metamorphism and Metamorphic Rocks.
9. Earthquakes and Earth's Interior.
10. Deformation, Mountain Building, and Earth's Crust.
11. Mass Wasting.
12. Running Water—Streams and Rivers.
14. Glaciers and Glaciation.
15. The Work of Wind and Deserts.
16. Oceans, Shorelines, and Shoreline Processes.
17. Geologic Time: Concepts and Principles.
18. Organic Evolution—The Theory and Its Supporting Evidence.
19. Precambrian Earth and Life History.
20. Paleozoic Earth History.
21. Paleozoic Life History.
22. Mesozoic Earth and Life History.
23. Cenozoic Earth and Life History.
24. Geology in Perspective.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; create multiple test versions in an instant; and delivers tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes—online with CourseMate.