Request for consultation
- Each chapter opens with a new feature: #ChallengeAccepted. Each "challenge" asks students to consider a current topic related to the subject at hand, and ends with a critical-thinking question that deepens their engagement with the themes developed in the vignette. Each one comes with an accompanying challenge in MindTap®.
- An Election 2016 marginal icon draws attention to the most updated election-related content.
- This edition has an increased focus on recent political developments, connecting them to the text's enduring themes. These developments include gay marriage, marijuana legalization, government surveillance, the impact of social media on political activity, gun control, immigration politics, education policy, net neutrality, campaign finance, the death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, and more.
- In addition to new art, all images are now numbered, enhancing navigation in both the print and digital versions of the text.
- Each vignette and feature ends with critical-thinking questions to promote consideration of the implications of the topic at hand.
- THE CHALLENGE OF DEMOCRACY: AMERICAN GOVERNMENT IN GLOBAL POLITICS is available with MindTap®, which offers students a fully interactive eBook, automatically graded homework assignments, flashcards, online discussion boards, and tools to allow them to self-assess. MindTap® can be used out of the box or customized with your choice of YouTube videos, local or global RSS news feeds, or your own content. MindTap® is available on its own or for use in conjunction with the printed text. See the Supplements section for more information on how to own your learning experience with MindTap®.
- This edition continues the emphasis on the theme of "Freedom, Order, or Equality." with a feature in each chapter that highlights the tensions among these values, and connects those values to the specific content of that chapter. Several features have been updated; for example, the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon, the Black Lives Matter movement, and debates about the tradeoff between freedom and national security.
- Each chapter includes a "
- The 14th edition continues the theme focusing on the tensions between pluralist and majoritarian visions of democracy. These models illustrate the dynamics of the American political system, including rising partisanship in Congress, the role of interest groups in policymaking, the ways in which public opinion does (or does not) shape public policy, and the influence of money on a range of political processes.
- Clearly defined learning outcomes are tightly integrated into each chapter to aid student comprehension and preparedness. Major chapter topics are organized around the numbered outcomes. Chapter summaries and review questions are correlated to the outcomes, and they are reiterated in the summary and end-of-chapter quiz.
1. Freedom, Order, or Equality?
2. Majoritarian or Pluralist Democracy?
Part II: FOUNDATIONS OF AMERICAN GOVERNMENT.
3. The Constitution.
Part III: LINKING PEOPLE WITH GOVERNMENT.
5. Public Opinion and Political Socialization.
6. The Media.
7. Participation and Voting.
8. Political Parties.
9. Nominations, Elections, and Campaigns.
10. Interest Groups.
Part IV: INSTITUTIONS OF GOVERNMENT.
12. The Presidency.
13. The Bureaucracy.
14. The Courts.
Part V: CIVIL LIBERTIES AND CIVIL RIGHTS.
15. Order and Civil Liberties.
16. Equality and Civil Rights.
Part VI: MAKING PUBLIC POLICY.
17. Economic Policy.
18. Policymaking and Domestic Policy.
"The approach taken by the authors is one that should help students understand why there appears to be so much conflict within the American political system. This vision is unique when compared with other textbooks that focus on fundamentals or analytical explanations by framing the issues within or among the three ideals conceptualized in the text and present in society."
"…engaging and accessible for students, providing a good framework to begin the study of government."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.