Request for consultation
Offering comprehensive, cutting-edge coverage, THE ATMEL AVR MICROCONTROLLER: MEGA AND XMEGA IN ASSEMBLY AND C delivers a systematic introduction to the popular Atmel 8-bit AVR microcontroller with an emphasis on the MEGA and XMEGA subfamilies. This unique First Edition provides a concise and complete introduction to the assembly language programming before progressing to a review of C language syntax that helps with programming the AVR microcontroller. Emphasis is placed on a wide variety of peripheral functions useful in embedded system design, including parallel I/O port, interrupts and resets, I/O devices such as DIP switches, LEDs, seven-segment display, LCD, keypad, stepper motor, timer functions and their applications, serial interfaces including USART, SPI, and I2C, A/D and D/A, and the controller area network (CAN). Vivid examples demonstrate the applications of each peripheral function, which are programmed using both the assembly and C languages.
- A clear and concise presentation of concepts is coupled with myriad examples to ensure quick understanding and easy application of each microcontroller peripheral function.
- The use of both assembly and C language equips students with a sound understanding of hardware operation and the productivity required by the embedded system industry. The assembly language offers an intimate view on the microcontroller operations while the C language provides the productivity required by the industry. Many examples are given in both assembly and C languages to illustrate the applications of most AVR peripheral functions.
- Each chapter starts with a gentle introduction to the basic concepts related to the topic before progressing to more complicated issues, applications, and solutions. In addition, numerous exercise problems and lab assignments are provided at the end of each chapter to give students hands-on experience putting chapter material into real-world practice.
- Straightforward tutorials on the use of key development tools help readers gain a solid understanding of AVR development tools.
- Insightful tips on debugging programs--provided for both assembly and C languages--apply to a wide variety of problems, making programming easier for beginner and advanced users alike.
- Freeware software development tools (GNU C compiler and AVR Studio IDE) are used throughout the text to compile the example programs, which lowers the cost for learning the AVR within the classroom.
- Commonly used utilities--such as LCD, timer delays, SPI, USART--are grouped together so they can be reused.
- The accompanying CD contains example programs, utility programs, freeware development tools, and PDF files to help students maximize their learning and course success.
2. Introduction to the AVR Microcontroller.
3. AVR Assembly Language Programming.
4. Hardware and Software Development Tools for the AVR.
5. Advanced Assembly Programming and Subroutine Calls.
6. C Language Programming.
7. System Clock Configuration.
8. Parallel I/O.
9. Interrupt Handling and Resets.
10. Advanced Parallel I/O.
11. Timer Functions of the MEGA AVR.
12. Event System and Timer Functions of XMEGA.
13. Universal Synchronous Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter (USART).
14. The SPI Function.
15. Two-Wire Interface (TWI).
16. Analog-to-Digital Converter.
17. Controller Area Network (CAN).
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The Instructor Resources commonly includes PowerPoint presentations for each core textbook chapter, computerized test bank, Instructor's Manual, and other text-specific resources.
This interactive CD-ROM is deigned to reinforce classroom learning, stimulate the imagination, and aid in preparation for examinations. It helps strengthen the concepts and terminology taught in the classroom and presented in the core text. Study questions, review activities, video clips, audio files, and interactive review games may also be included on the student CD-ROM.