Request for consultation
A best-selling, indispensable resource, YOUR CAREER: HOW TO MAKE IT HAPPEN, 9E provides a step-by-step guide to finding and keeping an ideal job. This edition is packed with timely, innovative resources students can use now and throughout their careers. This book effectively divides the tasks of self-inventory and marketing oneself to prospective employers into five manageable phases. Each chapter provides practical advice that readers can personalize to their own goals. Guided activities help students stand out as strong candidates for jobs in their career fields. Ideal for Professional/Career Development, Job Search, Resume Writing, or Interviewing courses, YOUR CAREER, 9E thoroughly covers career self-assessment, employer research, career networking, job search/interviewing, self-marketing, and career building strategies. Explicit instructions help readers combine personal networking with online tools and social media to land career-building jobs.
- ENTIRE BOOK IS NOW RESTRUCTURED AND REORGANIZED. The authors have reworked content to provide a more logical flow and fewer, more focused learning outcomes. The five phases of the Job Search Journey (formerly The Job Search Cycle) correlate to the five sections of the book and are reorganized to offer a more logical progression. Phase One highlights starting the job search journey. Phase Two emphasizes creating an effective resume while Phase Three discusses cover letters and job applications. Phase Four shows how to ace the job interview and Phase Five covers post-interview career management.
- THE ROLE OF SOCIAL MEDIA IN THE JOB SEARCH IS UPDATED AND EMPHASIZED. "You, Online" features, now in every chapter, connect the book to career-related social media resources. Activities guide students in creating a LinkedIn profile, presenting a professional online image to prospective employers, and more. The completely rewritten social media appendix, "Succeeding in the Job Search Journey Using Social Media," illustrates the latest developments in networking, job searching, job application and interviews using the latest online tools, websites and apps.
- NEW "REAL WORLD SCENARIOS" PROVIDE INSIGHTS INTO CHAPTER CONCEPTS. Each chapter now includes one or two scenarios that highlight real-world situations and pose thought-provoking questions. These scenarios prompt dynamic class or group discussion that personalizes the learning experience.
- MINDTAP® FOR YOUR CAREER OFFERS A PERSONALIZED TEACHING EXPERIENCE TO GUIDE STUDENTS IN ANALYZING, APPLYING, AND ELEVATING THINKING. You can measure skills and promote better outcomes with ease. This online learning solution combines readings, multimedia, activities, and assessments into a single Learning Path that guides student through the curriculum. You can customize the presentation of these learning tools and even seamlessly introducing your own content. MindTap® for Your Career integrates with Pathbrite, giving students access to electronic portfolios during and after your course.
- "TRIAL RUN" INTERACTIVE, ROLE-PLAY ACTIVITIES at the end of each chapter model the desired outcomes of the chapter. Each activity requires peer or self-evaluation.
- CRITICAL THINKING QUESTIONS ENCOURAGE STUDENTS TO PAUSE AND REFLECT. These powerful questions at the end of each chapter encourage students to examine the chapter’s learning outcomes and evaluate how they can most effectively use those outcomes in their personal job search processes.
- STUDENTS CREATE THEIR PERSONAL BRAND MARKETING STATEMENT. This book encourages readers to develop, hone and implement a personal brand marketing statement as well as a 30-second commercial to emphasize their positive attributes and qualifications for jobs.
- MORE THAN 50 CAREER ACTION WORKSHEETS HELP STUDENTS APPLY CHAPTER CONTENT AND PERSONALIZE ADVICE. Use these flexible worksheets individually or in groups, in class or as homework. Guided assessments prompt students to consider their preferences, personal traits, and other topics. These worksheets help students build their resumes and other job search tools, and find jobs that represent a good fit for them and further their desired career paths.
- LEARNING OUTCOMES CORRESPOND TO CHAPTER WORKSHEETS, QUESTIONS AND ACTIVITIES. Learning outcomes at the beginning of the chapter relate to end-of-chapter materials and each main chapter heading.
- STUDENTS CREATE AND MAINTAIN CAREER PORTFOLIOS. Through practical, hands-on application, students organize information about themselves and the job search in draft portfolios, as well as employer-ready resumes, cover letters, and more in final Master Career Portfolios. These tools help motivate students to seriously pursue their job search journey now and throughout their entire careers.
- PROFESSIONAL PROFILES FEATURE REAL PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT CAREER MANAGEMENT AND JOB SEARCH ISSUES. Offering intriguing insight into current career and business issues, profiles throughout this edition feature five experts -- such as an HR manager and college career center director -- as well as five people with whom students can immediately identify, including a young job seeker, a new hire, and a mid-career job seeker.
- "CAUTION:" OFFERS INSIGHTS AND TIPS FOR AVOIDING COMMON PITFALLS AND ACHIEVING GOALS. Formerly titled "Watch Out!", this feature builds on the experiences of other professionals to alert students to behaviors they should avoid or to demonstrate how to plan ahead for effective career results.
1. The Job Search Process.
2. Know Yourself to Market Yourself.
3. Picture Yourself in the Workplace.
Part II: CREATE YOUR RESUME.
4. Plan Your Resume.
5. Write Your Resume.
Part III: APPLY FOR JOBS.
6. Find Job Openings.
7. Write Job Applications.
8. Write Effective, Tailored Cover Letters.
Part IV: SHINE AT INTERVIEWS.
9. Know the Interview Essentials.
10. Prepare for Your Interview.
11. Interview Like a Pro.
Part V: Connect, Accept, and Succeed.
12. Stay Connected with Prospective Employers.
13. Dealing with Disappointment.
14. Take Charge of Your Career.
Appendix: Succeeding In The Job Search Journey Using Social Media.
“I am excited about the revisions. The proposed changes will make the text more streamlined and relevant for my students. … Overall, I think this will be one of the best career development books I have seen.”
“The reorganization appears to be an improvement regarding engaging, interactive content.”
“This version is more "logical” and the flow seems to address more of today's realities than maybe the 8th edition did.”