Request for consultation
Now in its eleventh edition, TEACHING STRATEGIES: A GUIDE TO EFFECTIVE INSTRUCTION is known for its practical, applied help with commonly used classroom teaching strategies and tactics. Ideal for anyone studying education or involved in a site-based teacher education program, the book focuses on topics such as lesson planning, questioning, and small-group and cooperative-learning strategies. The new edition maintains the book's solid coverage, while incorporating new and expanded material on classroom technology integration, English Language Learner instruction, and proactive classroom management, as well as an up-to-date discussion of teaching students with disabilities and differentiated instruction. This edition is available with the digital learning solution MindTap®, which features an integrated e-portfolio, videos of classroom teaching situations, quizzes, professional resources, scenario activities, and tools and resources (including analytics) for instructors.
- Chapter 3, "Teaching Diverse Learners in the Inclusive Classroom," has new and expanded coverage on teaching English-language learners, and up-to-date information on differentiated planning, instruction, assessment, Universal Design, RTI, and available technological assistance.
- Chapter 5, "Mastering Instructional Planning," has new and expanded information on integrating technology into the classroom.
- Chapter 11, "Managing the Classroom," features an increased focus on proactive management techniques over discipline.
- New or fully revised "Technology Insight" boxes in each chapter explore the most current questions and issues surrounding technology in the classroom.
- Expanded standards coverage shows how the text chapters correlate to the key INTASC Standards, via new integrated coverage -- identified by a marginal icon -- and a correlation chart on the book's inside cover. NCATE and AACTE teacher education standards have been added, as well as access to downloadable worksheets and guidelines for successfully creating curriculum that meets the Common Core State Standards.
- Each chapter's numbered Learning Objectives are conveniently listed at beginning of the chapter, and correlated to numbered headings within the chapter.
- This edition is printed in full-color with more photos and a brand new design, making the material more engaging and visual for students.
- This edition of TEACHING STRATEGIES: A GUIDE TO EFFECTIVE INSTRUCTION is available with the digital learning solution MindTap®, which includes an integrated e-portfolio. MindTap® gives instructors tools and activities that help them prepare classroom-ready, reflective teachers -- including videos of actual classroom teaching situations, quizzes, professional resources, and scenario activities in which the student creates documents and artifacts in response to a focus assignment.
- Chapter 1 focuses on the teacher's role as a professional and introduces key overarching topics such as meeting standards, working with diverse students, and decision making.
- Topics covered include professional standards, inclusion, technology, Individualized Education Plans (IEPs), diversity, English-language learners, gender bias, constructivism, differentiated instruction, special education, classroom management, and many others.
- Classroom Snapshots open each chapter and present real-world scenarios and questions for students to consider as they read.
- Voices from the Classroom features illustrate topics through real-world case studies in which teachers describe methods or strategies that they have used in their own classrooms.
- Technology Insight boxes in each chapter further emphasize technology-related issues. These boxes include information on such topics as cooperative learning with multimedia technology and using gradebook software.
- Standards coverage includes a handy INTASC correlation chart on the book's inside front cover and downloadable worksheets and guidelines for successfully creating curriculum that meets the Common Core State Standards.
- To reinforce understanding of the material, boxed Reflect questions at the end of each major section ask students to pause, think critically about what they have just read, and relate it to their own experiences.
- Boxed Instructional Strategies throughout the text present practical advice, offer examples, and summarize teaching procedures in a clear, step-by-step format.
- The text is recognized for its practical, time-tested teaching strategies and applications, supported by up-to-date content and helpful pedagogy. Beginning teachers will want to keep it for use as a ready reference as they begin their educational careers.
1. Frames of Reference for Teaching.
2. The Big Picture in Your Classroom: Focusing the Instruction Kaleidoscope.
3. Teaching Diverse Learners in Inclusive Classrooms.
Part II: FUNDAMENTAL TOOLS FOR INSTRUCTIONAL PLANNING.
4. Objectives, Taxonomies, and Standards for Instruction.
5. Mastering Instructional Planning.
6. Sequencing and Organizing Instruction.
Part III: INSTRUCTION AS A DYNAMIC PROCESS IN CLASSROOMS.
7. Classroom Assessment.
8. The Process of Classroom Questioning.
9. Small-Group Discussions and Cooperative Learning.
10. Inquiry Teaching and Higher-Level Learning.
11. Managing the Classroom.
"A comprehensive overview of strategies to enhance the teaching and learning process."
"This text [is] innovative and ready to meet the challenges of the 21st Century Classrooms."
"The text is very thorough and would be an excellent text for an instructional design course for elementary and middle school teachers."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. This manual also contains student learning objectives, key terms, essay/discussion questions, student activities, discussion exercises, and Internet exercises. It also includes activities specifically designed to help students create curriculum to Common Core State Standards.
Online PowerPoint® Slides
Helping you make your lectures more engaging while effectively reaching your visually oriented students, these handy Microsoft PowerPoint® slides outline the chapters of the main text in a classroom-ready presentation. The PowerPoint® slides are updated to reflect the content and organization of the new edition of the text.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.