Request for consultation
SUCCESSFUL WRITING AT WORK, 11th Edition, features an abundance of real-world examples and problems, an accessible writing style, and detailed guidelines for planning, drafting, revising, editing, formatting, and producing professional documents and graphics in the global workplace. Students are presented with topics in four logically sequenced sections, beginning with a discussion of the writing process and collaboration, followed by material on basic business communications (including e-communications and social media), letters, and resumes; conducting research and documenting sources; and more advanced tasks such as preparing visuals, websites, instructions, procedures, proposals, short and long reports, and presentations. With each new writing assignment, students learn to become effective problem solvers, to work effectively as members of a collaborative team, to understand their global audience, and to select the best communication technologies to accomplish their goals. Each student text is packaged with a free Cengage Essential Reference Card to the MLA HANDBOOK, Eighth Edition.
- To provide students with quick and easy access to the latest changes in MLA style, The Cengage Essential Reference Card to the MLA HANDBOOK, Eighth Edition, is packaged free with each student text.
- In response to reviewer feedback, the new 11th edition has been streamlined, shortened, updated, and redesigned to provide essential and current coverage of major communication strategies with real-world examples that students need to succeed in today's e-world of work. Many new or significantly revised figures are featured throughout the text to provide students with the most current examples of documents from the global workplace, e.g., social media and e-resumes.
- The new edition features a strong emphasis on and integration of social media, including a whole section in the new Chapter 4 on writing e-communications at work, examples of Facebook and LinkedIn profiles in Chapter 7, a list of social media "do's and don'ts" when looking for a job, and discussion throughout the text of how social media is shaping the creation of and collaboration on workplace communications. A new section on cyberbullying - how students can prevent it and what they can do if they become a target - has been added to Chapter 1.
- The latest communication technologies have been included and addressed throughout the text, including web-based collaboration systems like GoogleDocs, Skype, and Prezi presentation software as well as the extensive use of m-commerce, smartphones, and tablets in the workplace.
- A thoroughly revised Chapter 7 on the job search offers students a new section on transitioning from military service to civilian jobs and practical information on all phases of the job search--including networking and other strategies on how to find a job, preparing different types of resumes, using social media during the job search process, and asking about salary.
- Two fully revised, updated, and annotated long reports on contemporary business topics illustrate the latest MLA and APA methods of documentation--one in Chapter 8 featuring a real estate marketing plan and the other in Chapter 15 on cultural sensitivity for international workers. Also included are a revised employee activity/performance report and a new proposal on installing inventory tracking software to help a business better manage its products and services.
- The 11th edition features updated guidelines and practical tips for writing business letters and memos (Chapter 5), enhanced coverage of international business correspondence, and a discussion of corporate culture and identity.
- The text is compact enough for shorter courses yet contains enough coverage for longer ones. A revised text design also enables students to quickly and easily find the information they need to succeed. Numerous new and updated figures and case studies throughout the text provide practical examples of how to prepare email, letters, memos, instructions, proposals, and reports for the global workplace.
- A practical emphasis on workplace writing as a problem-solving activity shows employees how to successfully meet the needs of employers, co-workers, customers, clients, and vendors worldwide. This point is reinforced through numerous annotated figures, guidelines, and practical in-depth case studies throughout the text that illustrate how to find resources and develop effective rhetorical strategies.
- Every chapter offers guidelines and examples for writing and acting ethically in the workplace, including avoiding sexist and biased language; using social media professionally and responsibly, writing ethical e-communications; drafting diplomatic and respectful letters; preparing honest and realistic resumes; conducting accurate, objective, and documented research; using and constructing unaltered and unbiased visuals; preparing safe and effective instructions; writing truthful proposals and reports; and a renewed attention to protecting and preserving the environment in the workplace.
2. The Writing Process at Work.
3. Collaborative Writing and Meetings in the Workplace.
4. E-Communications at Work: Email, Blogs, Messaging, and Social Media.
5. Writing Letters: Basics for Communicating with Audiences Worldwide.
6. Types of Business Letters and Memos.
7. How to Get a Job: Searches, Networking, Dossiers, Portfolios/Webfolios, Resumes, Transitioning to a Civilian Job, Letters, and Interviews.
8. Doing Research, Evaluating Sources, and Preparing Documentation in the Workplace.
9. Summarizing Information at Work.
10. Creating Clear Visuals.
11. Designing Successful Documents and Websites.
12. Writing Instructions and Procedures.
13. Writing Winning Proposals.
14. Writing Effective Short Reports.
15. Writing Careful Long Reports.
16. Making Successful Presentations at Work.
Appendix. A Writer's Brief Guide to Paragraphs, Sentences, and Words.
"Successful Writing at Work covers every aspect of workplace communication from the memo to long report in a clear way with numerous, excellent examples."
"This book is the best well-rounded business and professional writing book on the market. It is comprehensive in its content, yet it remains clear and accessible to students of all levels."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Instructor's Companion Website