Request for consultation
SOCIOLOGY OF DEVIANT BEHAVIOR has been the market-leading deviance/criminology textbook for more than 40 years by combining timely research findings and updated data with solid sociological analysis. Designed to appeal to today's students, the fifteenth edition examines such relevant and timely topics as justified deviance (e.g., terrorism); corporate crime and mistakes, such as the General Motors ignition problem; the changing moral landscape regarding gay marriage and marijuana use; the importance of social media in facilitating deviant acts; political crime, including electoral crime; and cultural and social reactions to deviance. Learning aids-such as chapter outlines, bolded key terms, discussion questions, and a glossary-support students' study and review.
- Completely updated, this edition incorporates the most recent theoretical developments in the field and the latest research findings. For instance, it discusses the changing meaning and nature of the concept of deviance as well as the latest information on sociological theories of deviance.
- This edition recognizes and documents the shifting moral landscape regarding gay marriage and recreational marijuana use, traces recent shifts in illicit drug use, and continues to document the social stigma experienced by people who are gay, disabled, and/or mentally disordered.
- The text documents the continued declines in rates of street crime and discusses the latest corporate crimes and mistakes, such as the General Motors ignition problems.
- The importance of social media and the computer in facilitating deviant acts, including crime, are covered. The book also provides accounts of the tragedy of suicide after bullying on social media.
- The updated Instructor's Manual now includes Internet resources (formerly listed at the end of each text chapter) as well as lecture suggestions and discussion questions to pique student interest.
- Chapter 15 discusses new types of deviance and emerging trends in deviance, such as pirates, child obesity, cyberdeviance, bullying, rudeness, and teacher-student relationships.
- Chapters are organized into parts to help separate the broad topics in deviance.
- “Issue” boxes throughout each chapter connect material under discussion to real-world topics, For instance, new “Issue” boxes summarize suicide in the U.S. (Ch. 10); introduce a House of Representative candidate who thinks that tornadoes and dementia are God's punishment for gay rights and abortions (Ch. 12); and profile “Game of Thrones” star Peter Dinklage, who is four feet, five inches tall (Ch. 13).
- “In Brief” boxes offer interesting tidbits on a topic related to the chapter. Topics include the popularity of ice, the crystalline version of methamphetamine (Ch. 8) and the relationship between suicide and age and gender (Ch. 10).
- Chapter-opening outlines and end-of-chapter summaries, key terms, and discussion questions aid students in study and review.
1. The Nature and Meaning of Deviance.
2. Deviant Events and Social Control.
Part II: EXPLAINING DEVIANCE.
3. Becoming Deviant.
4. Major Theories of Deviance.
Part III: DEVIANCE AND CRIME.
5. Crimes of Interpersonal Violence.
6. Nonviolent Crime.
7. White-Collar and Corporate Crime.
Part IV: TYPES OF DEVIANCE.
8. Drug Use and Addiction.
9. Drunkenness and Alcoholism.
11. Heterosexual Deviance.
Part V: STUDIES IN STIGMA.
12. Gays, Lesbians, and Homophobia.
13. Physical Disabilities.
14. Mental Disorders.
Part VI: LOOKING AHEAD.
15. Recent Forms of Deviance.
“Overall, this is one of the leading textbooks about deviant behavior on the market. I recommend this to all students of sociology, criminology, criminal justice, psychology, medicine, counseling, and social work. It provides the depth and breadth that is needed.”
“The book is thorough. It is full of useful and comprehensive information. . . . The text is a complete, overall well-written and designed book that will encourage students to read and make for a great course.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Helping you make your lectures more engaging while effectively reaching your visually oriented students, these handy Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides outline the chapters of the main text in a classroom-ready presentation. The PowerPoint slides are updated to reflect the content and organization of the new edition of the text.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual with Test Bank
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. This manual also contains student learning objectives, key terms, essay/discussion questions, student activities, discussion exercises, and Internet exercises.